PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Questions

The_Greg
06-10-2015, 04:34 PM
Is the Viper anything special to get aligned, or if I trust a local maintenance shop, would they be able to handle it?

I was quoted $200 for an alignment from a trusted Dodge dealer. Not the end of the world but I thought it would be less?

I'll likely be requesting a setup similar to Mark J's street recommendation (from this thread: http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/5177-Alignments-Chrysler-Dealers?highlight=alignment )

Front camber -1.6 to -1.7
Rear camber -.6 to -.8
Front toe set at 0
Rear toe "in" .17 to .20 each side, the more toe the more stable.
Front castor I like 5.5 to 6.0
Rear castor I keep the stock setting by adjusting the 2 lower control arm adjustments the exact same amount when setting camber.

sparkrn
06-10-2015, 05:36 PM
Interesting, I never knew the rear toe would be anything but zero. Good thing I'm not a mechanic.

XSnake
06-10-2015, 06:04 PM
I think I pay around $120 at the dealership.

The_Greg
06-11-2015, 09:42 AM
Interesting, I never knew the rear toe would be anything but zero. Good thing I'm not a mechanic.

Rear toe in adds stability. When the tail is wagging out, the loaded outside tire is actually pointing the rear end back in line by a hair. From what I understand, drift cars have quite a bit of toe in, and use the brakes (biased to the front) to get the rear to stay out, NOT the throttle.

mjorgensen
06-11-2015, 10:03 AM
If the dealership just has their regular every car close (with in spec) but not perfect Tech do it then it will be cheaper, we have the actual Viper Tech (3X the pay per hour or more) do all of our alignments (perfect) so we are at $200 for the regular 4 wheel alignments unless everything looks good and we just set the toe or something then I charge hardly anything.

Is the Viper anything special to get aligned, or if I trust a local maintenance shop, would they be able to handle it?

I was quoted $200 for an alignment from a trusted Dodge dealer. Not the end of the world but I thought it would be less?

I'll likely be requesting a setup similar to Mark J's street recommendation (from this thread: http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/5177-Alignments-Chrysler-Dealers?highlight=alignment )

Front camber -1.6 to -1.7
Rear camber -.6 to -.8
Front toe set at 0
Rear toe "in" .17 to .20 each side, the more toe the more stable.
Front castor I like 5.5 to 6.0
Rear castor I keep the stock setting by adjusting the 2 lower control arm adjustments the exact same amount when setting camber.