PDA

View Full Version : Granturismo Sport

Policy Limits
12-02-2013, 09:22 PM
It's the Viper's first cousin, and Maserati got it right on this one. Sport mode opens exhaust valves and unleashes a very throtty note with a stiffened suspension. Four seats that are usable and even fit a child seat (seriously). 452 HP from a 4.8l Ferrari engine; interior is well done and comes standard with some sharp carbon fiber pieces. Front nose is sexy; the car is heavy, over 4000 lbs so it feels well planted. I believe brakes are 6 piston steels; its one of the very few exotics that you can daily drive. I put 1000 miles on it monthly. Service interval is once per year. Comes with 4 year warranty. I hear the battery and ecu's suck but I left town for a week without a battery tender plugged in and it started right up on return. Had a cel with fuel system code but swapped relay and it hasn't returned. It reminds me of the gen v because its lots of car for the money (same price as gen v GTS) and is rarely seen on the road, though the gen v is much more rare. Car is a great GT car in auto mode and a great performance car in manual/ sport mode. Totally a dr Jeckel & mr Hide type of ride.

Troublemaker
12-02-2013, 09:50 PM
I have never been a Maserati fan, but that one works for me, beautiful car.

Policy Limits
12-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Thnx & great signature line ;)

viperr
12-03-2013, 10:24 AM
That is a great looking car. I hope that Maserati starts selling a lot of cars here. Now if the Alfa 4C can do well Fiat may start making more money in the US.

Policy Limits
12-03-2013, 12:07 PM
They plan to mass produce 4-5 different models to the tune of 5k units annually within the next couple of years. More money for Fiat but hopefully I'm out of the brand by then.

rw99
12-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Since we're blaspheming here, I will pile on... even venturing outside the Fiat realm :p0273:

I love the Granturismo's lines, and it really works in Stormtrooper white/black. Agree 100% on the front fascia, wow!

But I went with a different GT:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r257/rw99/Jaguar/c96020f758b7e13e8c7d9f661cb14e0a_zps38c4be06.jpg

Competition Blue? Jag says this is French Racing Blue. But it irks me to have to say "French" when speaking of an automobile...

It's an XKR-S... critical extra room in the car vs. the Gen V. I'm 6'4 250 lb and I can only drive my Gen IV ACR with the 2" seat drop kit... and even then, I'm basically wearing the car, not sitting in it. I give the Gen V credit for relaxing the dimensions a bit; it's drivable in stock trim but still a tight fit for me. A sportscar, then, not a GT car that I'd enjoy driving for a long trip. The downside of being a big guy.

The Jaguar is technically a 2+2, but those back seats are appropriate for only smallish kids, hobbits, or a gym bag. A 5.0 with an Eaton twin screw. What's surprising about the car is its "old" flappy-paddle ZF 6-speed. While not a DCT, it sure is quick... nice rev-matching, and true altered & useful behavior when moving from "D" to "Sport" and with/without a Dynamic mode engaged. Magnetorheological shocks, of course. And the active exhaust is just perfect for car guys, a great sound both up and down the revs.

Policy Limits
12-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Great ride! I looked at an XKR-S in the same exact color!! They also come in vert form I believe. One sexy cat!

TowDawg
12-03-2013, 10:07 PM
I know the Maserati uses the Ferrari engine, and I assume it's the same paddle-shift trans. Yet, the M's are supposed to be good daily drivers (I think even the Quattroporte uses the same parts) , while all you hear about on the F's is how fast the clutch wears out and how much it is to replace.

Are the transmissions different, or just programmed with a lot less slip so that they last longer?

Policy Limits
12-04-2013, 07:14 AM
It's unbelievable how the car has a split personality: totally a daily because its an automatic transmission. Slip her in manual mode to use the paddles and push the sport button and you swear you're in a different car. I believe it redlines at like 8000RPM but she wants the trigger pulled around 4k.

I was looking for an exotic i could daily drive and like I said I easily put 1000 miles on it monthly. No clutch wear issues whatsoever. Much different than sweating an F1 tranny or e-gear; so glad lambo is moving to a dual clutch tranny next year, got my eye on that one big time.

Nine Ball
12-04-2013, 07:27 AM
I really dig both cars posted so far. Both of them have exotic curb appeal, without the exotic price tag. Maserati goes a bit overboard with the trident theme though, especially on the wheels. I'd already have custom wheels put on that car by now :)

MoreBeer
12-04-2013, 08:21 AM
I really like the Maserati's. They are insanely popular in Zürich, and you can hear the exhaust note blocks away. This GT is beautiful!

slowhatch
12-04-2013, 10:30 AM
The GTS Maseratis (quatropporte & gran turismo) have one of, if not the best factory exhaust note i've ever heard on any vehicle. Its just intoxicating how loud, bubbly, and toned the note is with the valves open in sport mode. I distinctly remember following one around downtown one afternoon, listening to its bellow reverberating off of all the skyscrapers, blissful.

Policy Limits
12-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Ha. Plus one on exhaust note. An older gentlemen followed me for miles just to get a chance to tell me at a stop light how much he lived the "music!"

As for the wheels, I was never a big fan of black wheels but I think they look great with the white paint on this car. Not a big fan of mods in general either; I like to keep my toys stock, but that's just me.

One other cool feature that I noticed now that it gets dark at 5 pm is how the headlights follow your steering; subtle but cool.