PDA

View Full Version : Fast and Furious - Paul Walker

daytonprowler
11-30-2013, 08:51 PM
I know the cast worked with SRT during the movie Fast and Furious. Very sad.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/11/30/paul-walker-dead-dies-car-accident-fatal-fire-crash/

01sapphirebob
11-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Oh. My. God. Sad news indeed. :(

Taylor
11-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Rip, I always liked him in the f&f franchise.

Anonymous
11-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Seemed like a true car guy .

BlknBlu
11-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Very sad

RIP Paul

Bruce

FLATOUT
11-30-2013, 09:18 PM
Damn that's just terrible to see. RIP Paul.

Sybil TF
11-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Oh so sad. RIP.

Ninjakris
11-30-2013, 10:08 PM
His movies inspired a whole generation of gear heads. He will be missed for sure.

ViperSmith
11-30-2013, 10:30 PM
F&F1 was terribly entertaining - even though it was so bad. Sad.

The Porsche looks obliterated though, seems as if speed was a major factor.

http://i.imgur.com/G0uRMpO.jpg

Hiss Highness
11-30-2013, 11:19 PM
condolences as a firefighter/paramedic and a car guy, brutal

Coloviper
11-30-2013, 11:42 PM
Lost two of my good Saleen Fanatic Friends today. My heartfelt condolences go out to their families and friends. They will be missed. RIP Paul and Roger!

Snakeracer
12-01-2013, 01:54 AM
Truly awful. RIP

SmoknTires
12-01-2013, 02:04 AM
Yeah, heard the bad news tonight. Also feel sorry for his wife and daughter. Tragic.

XXX BLK
12-01-2013, 03:25 AM
Very sad news RIP.

2010.Blue.White.ACR
12-01-2013, 07:34 AM
A couple more pics I found

Leslie
12-01-2013, 07:50 AM
So sad..:(
He supported a lot of good causes too and always helped those in need.

slitherv10
12-01-2013, 08:11 AM
RIP Paul. Your talent and passion will be greatly missed. Our prayers go out to the family.

DrTaco
12-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Always sad when someone goes this way, celeb or not. Prayers for his family and the driver's.

ViperSmith
12-01-2013, 10:57 AM
From the details, it looks like they just had purchased the GT. My guess was they were driving around on old rubber, tires were cold, they were in an industrial zone, took a corner too fast and the rest is what it is.

pony23
12-01-2013, 11:53 AM
I watched F&F1 last night on tv. Then I see this today. Wow, really sucks.

ViperPassion
12-01-2013, 11:57 AM
:(:(:(

Fatboy 18
12-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Great Shame :( RIP

v10enomous
12-01-2013, 02:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6okridFiBM

Troublemaker
12-01-2013, 02:58 PM
I was never impressed with his acting, but his offscreen life is what impressed me about him. That is not a car for a novice driver either, that's one of the few that belong in the same class of car as the Viper when it comes to drivers. Its sad to see, no other words for a tragedy like this.

2010.Blue.White.ACR
12-01-2013, 03:07 PM
A couple I found

http://youtu.be/KXxhJeP5k1s

http://youtu.be/D8yJm0W9-ZY

Red Kaos
12-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Tragic indeed; RIP Paul.

72hemi
12-01-2013, 09:57 PM
This is extremely tragic. Not only was Paul Walker a major part in an awesome franchise of movies his charity work was amazing! Thoughts and prayers go out to both the families and friends of Paul Walker and the driver Roger Rodas.

slowhatch
12-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Was an absolute shame. F&F franchise was never exactly the benjamin button of the film world but they were all entertaining movies that i had watched countless times. I can only hope they were lost on impact and didn't have to suffer through that fire. RIP

The_Greg
12-02-2013, 08:45 AM
I saw F&F in theaters when I was very impressionable... I have to admit that movie and his character are probably a contributor to me being on these forums as a Viper owner. He was definitely the face of what inspired a generation of gearheads. And a good guy also. Definitely sad. Was really looking forwards to Fast 7...

chesapeake07
12-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Very Sad! RIP to Paul and Roger. Prayer sent to their families.

Venomous1 Racing
12-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Very sad to hear. Although most of the movies stunts and plots were far fetched and inaccurate, I still enjoyed them as movies for us die hard car nuts are few and far between. No more Smokey and the Bandit, no more Cannonball Runs, Wraith, etc of my days. Fast and Furious filled that void for me.
R.I.P. Paul Walker and Roger Rodas :(

VPRPWRD
12-02-2013, 10:47 AM
I saw F&F in theaters when I was very impressionable... I have to admit that movie and his character are probably a contributor to me being on these forums as a Viper owner. He was definitely the face of what inspired a generation of gearheads. And a good guy also. Definitely sad. Was really looking forwards to Fast 7...

Sad news indeed. I always had an interest in cars, but this was around the time I became extremely interested in modifying them and he helped push me in that direction. He will certainly be missed.

VIPER BAZ UK
12-02-2013, 03:09 PM

Same as above He is even the same age as me (40 next birthday)

Good films,Great character and a true petrol head..

RIP Paul Walker and Roger Rodas....

Legends never die............

Torquemonster06
12-02-2013, 03:49 PM
God Speed Paul & Roger. They both will be missed. Thoughts and prayers go out to the families.

12-02-2013, 11:12 PM
Paul Walker's car wasn't racing, source says; speed in curve may have been a factor

The Porsche that actor Paul Walker was riding in when he died on Saturday was traveling at approximately 40 to 45 mph when it came to a bend in the road where the speed limit drops to about 15 mph, a law enforcement official familiar with the investigation told NBC News on Monday. It was in that vicinity where the driver, Roger Rodas, apparently lost control of the vehicle, ending in the fiery solo accident, the source said.

Walker, 40, and Rodas, 38, were killed at the scene, police said. Their autopsies were put on hold Monday, as the Los Angeles Medical Examiner's Office waits for dental X-rays for each man to aid in making the official identifications, said Craig Harvey, chief of the coroner's operations bureau.

v10CodeMonkey
12-02-2013, 11:30 PM
So very sad to hear, I was a fan of Paul and the F&F movies. Didn't learn till after his death about all the charity work he did, sounds like a good dude through and through. RIP Paul.

plumcrazy
12-03-2013, 06:18 AM
there is no way in hell that wreck was at 45 mph....lol

VPRPWRD
12-03-2013, 07:38 AM

I have to agree.

whitebeard
12-03-2013, 07:49 AM
How it happen will be speculated till the report is out and even then there still will be some degree of disbelief. Right now it is more concerning to care for those left behind in both families and others touched by this. I've watched as much footage as the next and after +20 years between FF\Rescue\Dive rescue, I've seen enough. I feel bad for the team who responded as well. Images like this don't disappear overnight. I still wake in sweats some nights as past calls playout in the dreams.

slowhatch
12-03-2013, 04:00 PM

Thinking the same. You can go sideways into a pole at 45mph and still be able to tell about it, albeit from a wheelchair. Regardless of how, its still absolutely tragic. Really reminded me to be safe in my hunk of junk.

Martyb
12-03-2013, 08:13 PM
I am guessing they were going 90+ when the driver lost control. It's a shame, Paul was a top notch guy away from the Hollywood scene. I feel for the families of both.

Space Truckin
12-03-2013, 08:18 PM
I am guessing they were going 90+ when the driver lost control. It's a shame, Paul was a top notch guy away from the Hollywood scene. I feel for the families of both.

90 mph on city streets WOW, I pick my spots on the freeways where I can open it up for miles at a time on Saturday/ Sunday mornings between 5-8am while everyone else is bed. Really tragic :(

ViperSmith
12-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Yeah that car was obliterated, nothing left

12-03-2013, 09:13 PM
The crash was located at 25601 Hercules Street in Santa Clarita. I checked the Street view and back in 2011 the speed limit was 35 mph -- today it is 45 mph. The 15 mph turn is a block away and they were driving counter-clockwise for some reason ended up on the sidewalk.
I know the cast worked with SRT during the movie Fast and Furious. Very sad.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/11/30/paul-walker-dead-dies-car-accident-fatal-fire-crash/

VIPER BAZ UK
12-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Few things happening here in the UK to remember Paul Walker ...

https://www.facebook.com/events/709197252425293/permalink/710569562288062/

(NEW) Tyrese - "My Best Friend" - (Paul Walker Tribute Song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPpraAG2tA8

The_Greg
12-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Few things happening here in the UK to remember Paul Walker ...

https://www.facebook.com/events/709197252425293/permalink/710569562288062/

(NEW) Tyrese - "My Best Friend" - (Paul Walker Tribute Song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPpraAG2tA8

RZA also did a tribute song.
http://youtu.be/YmJ4IcOR3I0

Anonymous
12-04-2013, 05:28 PM
You know everybody likes to Monday morning quarter back this things,but there's one thing I know ,this accident could of happened to anyone of us ,I'm sure there has been those close calls that for some reason we made it out ok,but at the end the of the day when your time is up its up.

ICPREY
12-04-2013, 09:12 PM
but there's one thing I know ,this accident could of happened to anyone of us ,I'm sure there has been those close calls that for some reason we made it out ok,but at the end the of the day when your time is up its up.

Um sorry, but no. Just because I drive a high horsepower Viper doesn't mean I'm going to take a 15mph corner at a high rate of speed. I pick and choose my spirited runs in wide open straight aways with warm tires. There are plenty of better drivers than me, but I know my limits.

It's a sad situation, but they were definitely going faster than 45mph. They took out a light pole and a tree.

RIP Paul and Roger

AZTVR
12-04-2013, 09:31 PM
but they were definitely going faster than 45mph. They took out a light pole and a tree. Not trying to be argumentative because I am not an expert; but, anecdotal evidence says that you can snap a telephone pole at 45mph. Would the car look like that one must have before the fire? I don't know. However, it is fun to sit here and judge the driver though, based on entertainment TV reports.

ICPREY
12-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Actually it's based on surveillance cameras in the area. Not worth arguing about.

Anonymous
12-05-2013, 06:38 AM
Just my 2 cents I think we all do stupid things that are not 100% safe and give them a little slack.

plumcrazy
12-05-2013, 06:42 AM
agreed !!!

Canadian venom
12-05-2013, 06:51 AM
Nice tribute by the Fast&Furious family....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8UCI7r1Aqw

No hemi
12-05-2013, 07:43 AM
Nice tribute by the Fast&Furious family....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8UCI7r1Aqw

Yes just saw it and shared on my fb page , RIP Paul and Roger!

Coloviper
12-05-2013, 02:17 PM
I am sure official reports will be on their way in time but they will show speed at near 45 mph. A close friend said they were having some "issues" with that Carrera GT prior. I know those pictures look horrible like they must have been going 200 mph, however Roger was a professional driver and not one to take unnecessary chances with life or limb to that extent on a public road. It is very tragic to lose life like this (even more when you know the people). I have to agree with someone here who stated that if nothing else makes sense, sometimes your time is just up. Nothing makes sense right now with this. The big guy upstairs must have just called for them. RIP Roger and Paul.

Hiss Highness
12-05-2013, 04:45 PM
wait up Paul, Nelson Mandela is on his way up

dodgefever
12-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Without being there to actually measure distances it would be difficult and time consuming to figure out this info. With a google street view or overhead shot, it could be done. The video shows the pole and tree going down, then a split second later shows the impact with the other tree. The time can be measured and if the distance in feet from tree to tree could be figured out, the feet per second could be converted to miles per hour. I realize this would only give the impact speed at the final tree where the car split in half though, not the intitial impact that knocked the light pole and first tree over.

WANTED
12-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Without being there to actually measure distances it would be difficult and time consuming to figure out this info. With a google street view or overhead shot, it could be done. The video shows the pole and tree going down, then a split second later shows the impact with the other tree. The time can be measured and if the distance in feet from tree to tree could be figured out, the feet per second could be converted to miles per hour. I realize this would only give the impact speed at the final tree where the car split in half though, not the intitial impact that knocked the light pole and first tree over.

The video shows the pole and tree going down, then a split second later shows the impact with the other tree.

what video

dodgefever
12-05-2013, 09:46 PM
The video shows the pole and tree going down, then a split second later shows the impact with the other tree.

what video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AMjjiZFVKo

The_Greg
12-06-2013, 08:16 AM

I actually tried this. There is bound to be a large error margin (because its a very short time between the three impacts AND its tough to measure distance on google's street view) but I got about 50 mph. That is, again, a very erroneous calculation of an average speed. Its possible the initial impact speed was higher.

The main take-away from the video is that you can see they weren't doing an insane 120+ speed. If that was the case, the trees would have been showing a faster series of impact. Were they speeding? I would bet so. Is it egregious? Probably not. Should we, as car and speed enthusiasts, dismiss their accident and feel immune for such a tradgety? I don't think so. As ColoViper said before, its possible that this could have been any one of us. They still haven't ruled out a mechanical failure, which I'm suspecting because Rodas had extensive race experience.

I just feel sorry for these men & their loved ones, no matter the amount of recklessness, and hope we all just stay safe out there

dodgefever
12-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Also, the 1/4 mile trap speeds of this car that I could find on a quick search were anywhere from 130 to 135 MPH. The reports say the accident happened approximately 300 to 500 yards from the car show. That equates to right around a 1/4 mile. For him to be going 120 as some estimated, he would have had to immediately floored it from the show and never let up until he hit the pole and tree. That sounds suicidal and I doubt that's the case. I agree, it looks like 50 to 60 MPH to me. It just happened to impact the weak spot in the car.
I will admit, it was on my mind when I had my car on some narrow two lane roads this morning. We need to always remember to respect the ever present "snake bite".

Late Apex
12-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Two idiots (one 18 and one 25) got arrested in LA for stealing a part off the wreckage while on the tow truck. Pretty lame.

AZTVR
12-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Two idiots (one 18 and one 25) got arrested in LA for stealing a part off the wreckage while on the tow truck. Pretty lame.

Suitable punishment for those idiots would be for them to have to serve community service in the morgue for a few weeks, observing autopsies.

Anonymous
12-06-2013, 11:14 AM
You should be a judge. Brilliant !

Sybil TF
12-06-2013, 11:18 AM
wait up Paul, Nelson Mandela is on his way up

That's kinda mean..

Hiss Highness
12-06-2013, 12:09 PM
That's kinda mean.. not at all, seems a nice picture of Paul at the pearly gates waiting for a friend, Paul givin Nelson a hearty handshake and a welcome smile and in they go

Rare Snake
12-06-2013, 02:17 PM

I see a bit of similarity between this accident and James Dean's. Maybe because both were so high profile, and they were both involving Porsches. But wasn't there a big thing where people thought there was a curse on JD's car? I seem to remember someone bought the wreckage and then suffered some ill fate or something. And I think it happened a couple of times. I can only hope these idiots run into some trouble too.

The_Greg
12-06-2013, 04:08 PM
I see a bit of similarity between this accident and James Dean's. Maybe because both were so high profile, and they were both involving Porsches. But wasn't there a big thing where people thought there was a curse on JD's car? I seem to remember someone bought the wreckage and then suffered some ill fate or something. And I think it happened a couple of times. I can only hope these idiots run into some trouble too.

Apparently this all is not confirmed:
http://www.snopes.com/autos/cursed/spyder.asp

Sybil TF
12-06-2013, 04:14 PM
James Dean is in my family tree. So is Jesse James.... Hope this isn't bad for me since I get a little wild on the throttle lol..

SRT Mike
12-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Yeah, heard the bad news tonight. Also feel sorry for his wife and daughter. Tragic.

I feel bad for his girlfriend too. He was 33 years old when he started "dating" her and she was a 16 year old high school sophomore.

Silver04
01-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Coroner report just released said they were doing 100+

ACRucrazy
01-03-2014, 01:26 PM
Was there any doubt? There is no way 40mph crash would destroy a car like that.

ACRucrazy
03-26-2014, 11:29 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/25/showbiz/paul-walker-crash-probe/

It's a shame they were driving like that on 9 year old tires :(

The_Greg
03-26-2014, 01:15 PM
Ugh, so sad to read about all over again. 80-93 mph.. That's where 2nd gear runs out on a stock Viper, definitely no more than 5500 rpm in third no matter the rear end gear.

I've been seeing reports, including AutoBlog, saying that a body double and CGI will be used for some of Walker's scenes in F&F7. I hope this is extremely limited, as I would find it kind of tasteless.