PDA

View Full Version : Pizza lunch

F2V
11-30-2013, 02:31 PM
Nice day here, clear and cold, never got above 28 deg. Was sent out on a lunch run, and wound up doing my thing first, driving 50 miles on I84, I684 and through a few towns, then back for a local take out.

Gotta say, the roads in my area are disgraceful. I'm comparing them to those in my Florida area (yea, I know it doesn't snow there, etc., etc).... every seam, crack and bump (never mind a pothole!!) is well magnified...going over 65mph (interstate) is annoying at best! No excuses, for all the fed, state and town taxes we pay here, and the total lack of preventive maintenance we recieve..never mind upkeeping the lane/shoulder painting!!

Anyway, got a few horn honks (the first one startled me) along the way. Had a pop while ordering pizza, and a guy comes up to me at the bar and says "is that your new Viper out there?". I was impressed...some people know what they're talking about.

swexlin
11-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who drives in the cold weather. I had my 03 out in about those same temps today. I drove slower than you grandma most of the time, as my PS2s don't like cold. How does your Gen V handle on cold pavement with those Pirellis? By the way, beautiful car!

Policy Limits
11-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Be careful of the statey's on 84. New England Roads in general have gotta be some of the worst; I hear Canadians have it worse

ViperSmith
11-30-2013, 05:04 PM
As long as there isn't salt on the road I'll take mine out during winter, when around freezing. Below freezing I won't head out in it usually

mainly because it is just too damned cold to go outside LOL

F2V
11-30-2013, 05:26 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who drives in the cold weather. I had my 03 out in about those same temps today. I drove slower than you grandma most of the time, as my PS2s don't like cold. How does your Gen V handle on cold pavement with those Pirellis? By the way, beautiful car!

Tks..gets lots of looks. Had no problems at all, slowly built up 4-5k rpms, with easy upshifts on the cold pavement. Car drives very well. Will know more when I take it down south for winter, and open it up some. As for aorund town, has a much improved turning radius over my previous G4

slysnake
11-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Nice to have that traction control I suppose. Us with older gens really shouldn't take them out at those temps.

Anonymous
11-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Highest taxes shitty service, makes no sense!

ViperSmith
11-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Highest taxes shitty service, makes no sense!

Here in VA the local tax office refers to us as "Customers"

LOL, don't quite threatening to throw me in jail if I don't turn over 40% of my income as being a "customer"!

Anonymous
11-30-2013, 09:57 PM
In westchester county NY we have the highest property taxe in the US and the highest utility rates in the US,South Carolina I'm coming 1.5 years!

SilveRT8
12-01-2013, 01:26 AM
Last Monday it was really cold 14F here in Quebec, and I drove the Gen5 about 30 miles to a friend's garage for winter storage just before our first official snowfall at night.
I was driving on my street set of Mich PSS and was pleasantly surprised that the car behave so well in the cold. Nothing special to report, as the rear stayed planted even under brisk 1-2 shifts at around 5k, when it was safe to test. I vividly remember how scary my Gen4 was in the cold on the Mich PS2, as it would try to go sideways anytime I would push the gas just a little.
I'm sure the PSS handle the cold temps better than the PS2, but the Gen5 with traction and stability control on is a pleasure to drive even on the frozen streets.
Too bad it has to hibernate for the next few months !

swexlin
12-01-2013, 06:16 AM
My PS2s were OK yesterday, easy shifts, plenty of distance between cars. No funny stuff, and no problems. I was HYPER aware though!

F2V
12-01-2013, 07:37 AM
Nice to have that traction control I suppose. Us with older gens really shouldn't take them out at those temps.

ESC never kicked in...but it was nice to know it was there.

ViperTony
12-01-2013, 09:42 AM

Hogwash. I took my GenII out yesterday in 30 degree weather nothing happened. Then again, I exercise a little (just a little) common sense. I also saw a red SRT vert (GenIII) parked at the Home Depot in Southington, CT. Great day for Vipers in CT. ;)

swexlin
12-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Hogwash. I took my GenII out yesterday in 30 degree weather nothing happened. Then again, I exercise a little (just a little) common sense. I also saw a red SRT vert (GenIII) parked at the Home Depot in Southington, CT. Great day for Vipers in CT. ;)
Every day driving a Viper is a good day!

Policy Limits
12-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Driving in rain sucks; totally understand why they added rain mode lol

F2V
12-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Damn, I really love my GEN5 gts. Just had to do it again today (in the 40's)...the ride is so much more improved over my previous G4, the interior smells like my wife's desginer hand bags, seat adjustments (at 5'9" I raise my seat to get a total view of the awesome curvy hood) a nice feature, as is back up camera, etc etc,. haven't had interest yet to get into the screens et al, but they look way more than I'll ever use. However getting into those very cool gages is not instant...rather annoying time delays to connect, but a great feature none the less.

Anyway, one of the coolest touches is that lightly colored amber pointer, that sits very slightly ahead of the tach needle!!! Have you seen it yet :-)

BTW, are there more speakers (I remember mentions of 12 in the early days of release..not to be confused with the the optional 18), than the two in the door and two on dash sides...if so, where are they? No, I really don't care, as I listen to the engine and exhaust 99% of the time :-)

ViperSmith
12-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Roy, took mine out for a stretch today as well. Nowhere in particular, but it was a brisk 40* outside and was driving around with the windows down (heater on full blast though LOL)

Fun to just get in the car.

SilveRT8
12-01-2013, 02:40 PM
My PS2s were OK yesterday, easy shifts, plenty of distance between cars. No funny stuff, and no problems. I was HYPER aware though!

PSS are much more grippy than the PS2 in the cold.