PDA

View Full Version : Thank you to the Viper community.

Vprbite
05-22-2015, 01:57 AM
First I would like to thank the Viper community for all the positive feedback I have received from the article in Viper Quarterly. It seems people really enjoyed the article and took a lot from it and I have enjoyed hearing from people who liked reading it. It has been great to get continual encouragement from people in the club who share my passion for these awesome cars and are glad to see me continuing to participate in the experience of having one. I also want to thank Maurice for writing such a great article. There was obviously a lot of information and some nuanced points that needed conveyed and he did a fantastic job.

Of course I am also honored to have been chosen to be written about in our magazine and to have my story shared with all of you. I must admit, though I was elated to tell my story, I was nervous before it came out. I was concerned it would appear that I was seeking sympathy or praise for having gone through what I did. Really, one of the main reasons I did it was to recognize and thank all those that played a role in my recovery and in getting my life back. Though I worked extremely hard at my recovery, it was not a solo effort. Starting with the firefighters who extracted me from the car, so many people played a role in helping me get better. I had amazing doctors and nurses. Great therapists after that. I always knew I had good friends and family but after the accident I really, really knew. It is also very important that I mention the role that the club played in my recovery. When people found out about my situation, the support began rolling in. Not a day went by that I didn't wake up to new gifts, emails, phone calls, text messages and letters from people in the club. Most notably, even people in the club who I had never met. People from all regions were reaching out to me. As I said, either by sending gifts or calls or messages. I can't overstate the impact that had. Every day was a struggle to regain more and more functioning and there were days when I would wake up and didn't feel like there was any gas in the tank. I didn't know how I was going to get going, fight through the pain, all the effort it took just to move my remaining leg. Then I would see all the new support that had poured in from the club that day, and that would fill my tank. That would keep me going.

So then, every day, though difficult, was made easier by this amazing group of people cheering me on. I made a promise to myself then. I vowed to get every single bit of my life back. Not most of it, every bit. But I also promised to make sure that everyone who helped me and supported me through everything knew that their time and effort and energy wasn't wasted.

Memorial Day weekend marks three years from my wreck. The amputations and other surgeries came after that at different times in the following 5 weeks with the full knee reconstruction to come 7 months later once I was pretty strong on the prosthesis. So on the three year anniversary of the wreck, I wanted to take this moment to thank the club and community for all of the support that you have given and continue to give. As it said in the article, there was just too much for me to give up. People asked me, "why stay with a Viper? Why not another fast car or another nice car?" And the answer was simple. This was so much more than a car. Had I not gotten another Viper, I would not only have broken my vow of getting every bit of my life back, but I would have been giving up the friendships, connections, and people. All of those are far too important to me.

Often times when a new member joins, people will say "welcome to the greatest car club on the planet" or "this is more than a car club" and I can personally say that is so very true. This community of people played and continues to play a role in my recovery, and I thank you all for that. I always say that there is much more good than bad in my situation and that only becomes more and more true. One of the greatest things to come of this was the new friendships that were forged. Jon B not only helped me with the design and manufacture of my pedal and then covered all costs of fabrication (He flat refused to take any money from me on it and paid all of Randy's fabrication costs) but he continually calls to see how therapy is going and how I am doing in general with life since the wreck. I feel so lucky to have been able to forge that friendship and I cherish it. I absolutely would not be doing as well as I am had he not been so helpful through all of this. I also got to know Maurice, and some of our other characters located all over the country. Also, by no means last, I met my wonderful Viper-Loving girlfriend (see the thread about the test I made her take to get her club badge, haha) at In-Patient Physical Therapy. As I said, there is so much more good than bad in my situation.

So, though I am three years into this journey I am very far from the end. However, I am undertaking it happily, and with the strength of knowing I do not walk it alone. I know I have the entire VOA behind me. Thank you for all the positive feedback from the article and I was honored to share my story with you. I know that many of you may have questions about my life now, the prosthesis, how it works, etc. and I wanted to make sure you all know that you are welcome to ask. Please don't worry about offending me. The only question that offends me is the one you don't ask. If you don't want to ask it in the forums, of course PM me and I am glad to answer it there. Thank you for reading this and the article. And especially thank you for your continued support through everything.

Always and My Best Regards
--Jeffrey Binder VPRBITE

Here was me attaching my new plate about 1 year after the accident and the sticker I had made for the window of my DD truck. That was my starter prosthesis, the one I have now is much more technologically advanced and pretty damn cool if you ask me.

Nine Ball
05-22-2015, 06:15 AM
Good post, Jeffrey. The positive mental attitude can do wonders!

Tony

ViperTony
05-22-2015, 09:09 AM
Jeff, thanks for sharing this. I'd like to thank you for your contributions on this forum and to the Viper community in general. Your story is an eye-opener for many and a source of inspiration. Enjoy your memorial day weekend!

Roddy
05-22-2015, 09:24 AM
As nine ball says, impressive mental attitude! I'm curious if you have thought about or already do speaking engagements? I think you could apply your outlook to many different area's.

Vprbite
05-22-2015, 11:23 AM
Good post, Jeffrey. The positive mental attitude can do wonders!

Tony

Thank you! My next goal was to get back to skiing (the knee has been holding me up from doing that but should be good by this winter) but perhaps my next goal should be to shift as quickly as you!

Thanks for the kind words.

Vprbite
05-22-2015, 11:29 AM
As nine ball says, impressive mental attitude! I'm curious if you have thought about or already do speaking engagements? I think you could apply your outlook to many different area's.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I don't do speaking engagements per se, but I do often get asked to speak with amputees about what they a facing. My prosthetist, surgeon, or therapists will call me and ask me to come in and talk to one of their patients. Especially if they are similar in age and a trauma amputee. If a Dr says that you can get your life back with hard work, it's not that he is lying, but how,does he really know? I know and can answer questions honestly. And with almost every inch of my life back in three years that included the amputation, thrm ligaments in the right ankle and a complete rebuild of the right knee and a head injury. I can show up driving a Viper and talking about how I go fishing and hiking again. They tell me the patients perk up and work harder after that because they see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

It,appears you aren't a member so I assume you didn't get the magazine. PM me and I can send you photos or possibly scan the article for you to read so you can get a fuller mental picture for all that went on.

Thank you.

Vprbite
05-22-2015, 11:35 AM
Jeff, thanks for sharing this. I'd like to thank you for your contributions on this forum and to the Viper community in general. Your story is an eye-opener for many and a source of inspiration. Enjoy your memorial day weekend!

Thank you! I sure will. I am driving out to the firehouses to thank them for what they did that day and show them that all the effort they put in to getting me out of that car alive that day has not been wasted and that I am thriving. I am excited but nervous. : /

Thanks.
--Jeffrey

swexlin
05-22-2015, 12:15 PM
Thank you for posting. I had also ready the article in the mag. Your story is inspiring, and makes us realize what is REALLY important in life. Best to you and your family.

thetalonguy
05-22-2015, 12:26 PM
Thanks Jeffrey, it was certainly a powerful story and I can guarantee that you made it sound a whole lot easier than it was.

It's great that you were able to take your experience and help others get through their journeys. I applaud you for being completely open to share and help others.

And you're right, this is more than just a car club...The passion of this group is immense even when we're fighting about Horsepower and ACR aero.

ViperPete
05-22-2015, 12:30 PM
Whoa... great post man. I joined after the quarterly magazine came out so I haven't read your article but... what a great post.

I have also experienced an amazing hospitality from the VOA and VCA. Viper owners really are unique and awesome.

Vprbite
05-22-2015, 01:45 PM
Thank you all. Hearing that my story has been inspirational always makes me happy. Of course I suffered a lot through this and am often times still in pretty bad pain but knowing that sharing my story has in some way helped people makes it easier to power through. Knowing that my story and my effort and struggle has helped people is yet another example of how I say there is more good than bad in my situation. I really mean that.

Viperpete, You Can probably buy a back order or ask someone in your club to bring it to the next meet for you to read. Maurice did a great job with the article and he tells the story of how it went down and the journey really well. I would scan it but I am not sure as to the legality of that.

Sybil TF
05-22-2015, 01:58 PM
Inspiring story. Reminds of what my father went through , the trials and suffering from losing his left leg and right foot.Thanks for sharing.

Vprbite
05-22-2015, 02:00 PM
Inspiring story. Reminds of what my father went through , the trials and suffering from losing his left leg and right foot.Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad I could be of some help.

For those wondering, I have even tracked my car and the instructor didn't know I was missing my clutch leg until I told him. So you would be surprised what is possible..

VYPR BYT
05-22-2015, 03:04 PM
Jeff, you definitely could do some speaking engagements with the positive attitude you've kept.

I don't know why but you remind me of this guy, lol

https://33.media.tumblr.com/63fe4898e28af0b21b6f348b92d7483b/tumblr_inline_mpsx2lEEDl1qz4rgp.gif

Vprbite
05-22-2015, 03:30 PM
Actually, BYT, I've started martial arts training and occasionally we have to modify some of the moves but my titanium and carbon fiber leg makes for one hell of a weapon. So I find it definitely on the plus column. If you look at that photo of me in the magazine with my new car you can get a feel for how that thing could hurt going into your knee/shin/gut. The foot is carbon fiber and graphite and will hurt like a MF too.

VYPR BYT
05-22-2015, 03:37 PM
Ha, I bet you would've done some damage before the martial arts training.
Your good attitude is infectious!

p.s. (I'm taking your advice and not going crazy with my achilles injury... still going to the tail of the dragon but likely not "driving" on the tail itself, lol)

WhiteSnake
05-22-2015, 05:23 PM
Hi Jeff,
Great post. I can't believe 3 years have passed by. It seems like yesterday when, as the then Region President, I received that terrible phone call. Our hearts were heavy but we were happy that you were alive and no one else was injured. I was very proud of how our local club members showed support and wanted to be kept abreast of your recovery progress. You don't realize how close the members are until something devastating happens to one of our own. We are proud to have you as one of our very active and contributing members. Your perseverance in light of the challenges you faced these past 3 years has certainly been an inspiration to all of us. The fact you have not wallowed in self pity and have turned your experience into a positive message and have given back to the community is an outstanding example of the kind of person our club wants. We are lucky to have you in our region and I'm proud to know you. Have a great holiday,
Barry

Vprbite
05-22-2015, 05:58 PM
Wow Barry. Thank you so much for that very kind message. It's making me well up as I think about it. I remember thinking that I wanted to make my local region proud of me and how I handled this life changing situation. To hear you say that further validates all of the hard work I put in, both mentally and physically at being the best that I could. Maybe even better than I was before the accident. Thank you so much for your amazing support through those tough times. We certainly do have a great group of people here and I am so proud to be a member

JonB ~ PartsRack
05-22-2015, 06:31 PM
Jeffrey:

I would much rather have MY "Memorial Day" anniversary highlight than Yours.

{Memorial Weekend, 1993, I got my first Viper! It changed MY life too!}

viper_eddie
05-22-2015, 06:31 PM
Reading that article was definitely an eye opener for me because I don't think I could have had such a positive attitude. It was quite amazing to read and in such situations your attitude makes a huge difference. You're definitely an inspiration and gave me some food for thought...you should go and talk about your story with people who are going through similar things. I'm sure it would make a tremendous difference to them!

Vprbite
05-22-2015, 07:01 PM
Jeffrey:

I would much rather have MY "Memorial Day" anniversary highlight than Yours.

{Memorial Weekend, 1993, I got my first Viper! It changed MY life too!}

Please don't forget the very important and special role you played in my recovery. No one else could have done what you did for me and I will always remember that.

Vprbite
05-22-2015, 07:09 PM
Reading that article was definitely an eye opener for me because I don't think I could have had such a positive attitude. It was quite amazing to read and in such situations your attitude makes a huge difference. You're definitely an inspiration and gave me some food for thought...you should go and talk about your story with people who are going through similar things. I'm sure it would make a tremendous difference to them!

Thank you very much. I do get asked to go speak with people who are just starting out on their journey and are worried about whether they will get their life back or not. It's fun cause I can pull up driving my stick shift viper when people are worried if they will ever drive again at all. And I can say, hell ya you can! And I can show them pictures of me and my dog out fishing and say you can do that too. I know because I did it. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it.

The way I see it, bad things happen to everybody. Mine is just really easy to see. But I really wanted to set an example that though something is a big part of my life, and even a tragic one at that, it doesn't have to define me. I can define its role in my life. Originally I just set out to do my best with the situation I was presented with but along the way if I manage to inspire people, well then I consider that a gift that I am able to have a positive influence in their lives.

And if people judge me or treat me differently because of it, I will shove a carbon fiber foot up their ass. So really I am covered either way. : )

LeadfootRT10
05-23-2015, 03:42 AM
your such a queen....now that you're famous and all....just remember who's car is on the communities banner....

Vprbite
05-23-2015, 04:42 AM
your such a queen....now that you're famous and all....just remember who's car is on the communities banner....

Now bow to your queen. Don't forget who is in the magazine, Banner Boy!"

FrgMstr
05-23-2015, 08:01 AM
Good man Charlie Brown. :)

Track Pack
05-23-2015, 11:08 AM
Great post, very inspiring. I remember your article from the mag and immediately shared with my wife when it came out. May the good Lord continued to bless you and provide continued health and recovery. I so agree with what we've all heard and said so many times, "the car brings you into the club, but the people keep you here...". Happy Vipering everyone!

Sybil TF
05-23-2015, 12:09 PM
I just realized I took delivery of my 96 GTS on May 25th 2012.

Vprbite
05-25-2015, 02:35 PM
I went by the firehouse on Saturday that had saved my life that day and thanked all of them for what they did. My parents came along and my mom made cookies and my girlfriend made lemon bars and I brought them some models of the GTS. They were so incredibly happy to see me and how well I was doing. They shared with me some of their own thoughts from that day and reminded me of some things that I had forgotten.

One of which was that I was not given any pain meds because my blood pressure was so low that pain meds would have pushed it too low. So they said that evry time the dash would slam back down on my limb (they would get a about an inch of clearance and it would slam back down cause it was under so much pressure) and every time I would scream in agony. They didn't want to out me through that but they had to a few times as they tried to find a way to get me free.

Apparantly around hour 2 (of 3.5) I told them to cut the leg off right there. I said we all know how fucked it is so lets just lose it right now. -- I heard that and thought to myself that wow, I am a pretty serious badass.

I also had kinda heard this from the sheriff but I didn't know how true it was but they confirmed it for me. They have the extraction on video and use it as training for extractions now. The cars strength is what really presented such a problem. The standard options wouldn't work due to the frame being so strong and how wrapped around me it had ended up. So the things they learned from that are tactics they may need on other high performance car. Also they used it for training to remind them never to give up because we did get me out of there alive and with a good shot at recovery. So they are now going to include pictures from my visit to show exactly why you don't give up.

It was a great visit. They were so happy to see me and said I am welcome to come by anytime. It was special for my parents too. My mother got to give them all a hug and thank them for saving her son. They were even tearing up a bit. It was a very nice moment.

I have some photos I will post as soon as my girlfriend sends them to me. But I just wanted to give you all a memorial day update.

Oh and also, I went and drove the road where it happened. : ) Cause, hell yeah. If I was gonna be scared I should just give up and buy a vette. I chose to continue being a badass and go drive the road. It felt good.

Have a great and safe Memorial Day.

Vprbite
05-26-2015, 01:27 AM
1089410895108961089710898Gonna attempt a photo dump here from the weekend from my IPad.

These are me with the firefighters who saved my life. They were actually the second on scene because Arivaca Fire was a little beyond their depth with my extraction. Green valley said they even broke some of their equipment on the car. The frame was just so strong. I had hit it hard enough though and that tree came all the way to the trans tunnel. He said my leg looked like a backward "S" and my right leg had the brake pedal embedded in it. I still have quite a scar and nerve damage there.

Vprbite
05-26-2015, 01:30 AM

Vprbite
05-26-2015, 01:33 AM

Vprbite
05-26-2015, 01:45 AM
They were all for lining up my car with the fire engine. They all want rides next time as they invited me and my girlfriend to come by for dinner anytime. The last photo is of my parents and I at the Arivaca Fire Station. They are smaller and there was only one person there that day but they were first on scene so we dropped off goodies for them too. And it was nice to get another photo with my parents because this photo was taken right after driving the road on which the wreck occurred. In fact,mine fire station is only about 2 miles from the actual spot of the wreck.

Driving the road again was emotionally intense. But I am really, really glad I did it. I don't want to live in fear so it was really important to me that I do that too. I had my girlfriend with me and my parents drove behind me as I think it was kinda cathartac for them too. I mean, even though I was 32 when I got in that wreck, I am still their son and that never goes away. Plus, that day of the wreck my mother received a call saying "This is the Pima County Sheriff, your son Jeffrey has been in a very bad car accident and we don't think he is going to make it." So they told me it was good for them to see me triumph over the road and keep the promise to myself. They had to go through a trauma too. All in all it was a great day. Thank you all for letting me share this with you. I told you how much the club meant to me so I really wanted to share this very special experience with you.

As I said, any questions about my functioning or how the prosthesis works, please don't hesitate.

Thanks and I hope you had a great Memorial Day Weekend. I sure did.

Helo Steve
05-26-2015, 05:56 AM
Well written article, I commend you on all your recovery efforts and your positive attitude and outlook!

VIPER BAZ UK
05-26-2015, 05:26 PM
What a great possitive read.........

The Viper scene is like no other and the main reason a cannot part with my Viper.... met some great people and made fantastic friends through the car.........

LifeIsGood
05-26-2015, 07:38 PM
Jeffrey...how about a picture of that clutch pedal and some info on its design...thanks...just curious.

Vprbite
05-27-2015, 06:52 AM
109281092910930Good queation LIG. The pedal was designed as a three part effort between myself, Jon B, and Randy of Zero Altitude Flight.

We came up with a great design. First of all, I was able to drive the car as is, only I had to sit too close to the wheel (because I can't point my toe) and I needed to look as I clutched. The answer was a pedal that was 2" thick (cause the toe pointing), it was concave to let my foot rest in there, and then had a wing on the right side so I wouldn't catch the brake pedal,or brake pedal arm. We removed the dead pedal so that it could go all the way to the edge of the footwell. We hit a home run with design as I have met other amoutees who say the pedal is exactly what they are looking for. Also, I was at the track one day and afterwards the instructor complimented me on my abilities and I said "not bad for a guy with one leg, huh?" And he said "what?" He had no idea through the whole session, which to me means we really nailed it on the pedal. Here are some photos. These should give you an idea. Let me know if you want to see more or if you know someone who needs one

Also, FWIW, I got the go ahead to drive after my Right knee surgery had recovered to the point where I could drive, which was about april,of 2013. And since then I have put about 13k on the car. We hit a home run with this design. I have shown it to other amputees who have then wanted one made cause it is such a better solution than what is out there.

Thanks for asking, LIG.

--Jeffrey

JonB ~ PartsRack
05-27-2015, 07:22 PM
Relevant tidbit: The Viper frame has a 'torsional stiffness' far beyond the average street car, and much more in line with a race-built chassis.

It takes 7500 lbs of force to twist/deflect the frame just 1" off its design spec.

Vprbite
05-27-2015, 11:35 PM
Relevant tidbit: The Viper frame has a 'torsional stiffness' far beyond the average street car, and much more in line with a race-built chassis.

It takes 7500 lbs of force to twist/deflect the frame just 1" off its design spec.

Wow. This is relevant and I will share it with the fireman. They told me that they broke multiple tools during my extraction. At one point they tried to connect the car to the tree and use the winch on the tow truck to straighten it out and even that didn't work.

Fun fact, I had a serious TBI but I was so loopy before the wreck, most people can't tell anything is wrong.

Really, hearing that stastic makes me feel even more lucky to be alive. Hey Jon, did like the pics of the pedal up there? I have a few others but it's kinda tough to photograph in the footwell.

unomas78
05-28-2015, 01:48 AM
My mother got to give them all a hug and thank them for saving her son. They were even tearing up a bit. It was a very nice moment.

What an amazing story, and what a great way to celebrate Memorial day! Your attitude is inspiring.

I think it must be a little dusty in here.

Vprbite
05-28-2015, 08:32 PM
What an amazing story, and what a great way to celebrate Memorial day! Your attitude is inspiring.

I think it must be a little dusty in here.

Yeah I hear ya. It's ok to get something in your eye. I am honestly so thankful to all the people who played a role in my recovery. From my friends who kept me calm until the firefighters arrived, the extraction team/firefighters, the doctors, therapists, my friends and family and you guys in my car club, all of it is enough to make me a bit misty too.

I got asked today at a doctors appt of it seemed to go by fast or slow. Honestly, the answer was neither. It almost feels like time has stood still. I feel like 2012 was last year. Like all kinds of stuff has gone on around me but I have been pretty well wrapped up in me. It doesn't feel like it was a whirlwind or if it went by slowly. Almost like I stood still (which of course I haven't as every day has been filled with incredibly hard work) while the world moved all around me. Some of that can be residual effects of the head injury, but mostly I think it's from being so laser focused on recovery.

Thank you for letting me share this with you though. Since the article came out and posting on here, I have really felt a sense of advancement. Like I am moving forward for the first time in a while.

Ok, enough sappy stuff. LIfeIsGood, did I answer your question sufficiently or would you like some more photos/description? Thanks for asking.

drewsss
05-28-2015, 11:37 PM
Hey Jeff,

Will have to get that back issue of the Viper Quarterly, now that I'm back with another toy. I still remember chatting with you several years ago, right after everything happened, but it doesn't seem that long ago. Just happy that you are doing great and looking forward to some fantastic runs with you and the rest of the gang.

Andy

Vprbite
05-31-2015, 03:38 AM
Yeah I think you were the first in the club to find out. Seems weird to me that it was three years ago. A lot has happened, but my life has been so polarized around my recovery it all seems like a blur around me.

LifeIsGood
05-31-2015, 06:03 AM
LIfeIsGood, did I answer your question sufficiently or would you like some more photos/description? Thanks for asking.

Yes. I like to hear about interesting solutions to problems like this...nicely done.

ViperSmith
05-31-2015, 07:38 AM
Great story, but nice looking dog! We have an obnoxious GSD too (She'll always act like a puppy!)

Vprbite
06-10-2015, 05:23 PM
Something that I realized I hadn't done yet was thank by name some extremely important people in my recovery. First is my orthopaedic surgeon, DR Jason Wild at UMC in Tucson. He even came down to trauma to help the trauma surgeons do their best to give me the best shot at saving my leg. And he tried so hard for weeks. When I decided to do the amputation, he did an excellent job making sure I have a fantastic limb left for having a highly functioning prosthetic. And he really cared the whole time. He is an excellent surgeon and person.

Also, my two main physical therapist were Kristen Johnson and Josephine Guadalupe Urquides. They were at health south at the time. They are now both at different locations but their effort there with me was amazing. They challenged me to be the best I could be, or even better. They were tough. Had I worked with someone else I could have bulldogged or manipulated someone weaker. But not with them. They are a large part of the reason I am doing so well.

Also, this sounds odd but I have to thank my insurance company. BCBS of Arizona has been like another team member. They haven't fought me in coverage. They follow up with me after procedures. Even the nurses who call you to ask if you had questions and see how I was doing got to know me and said they would save my call for their last one because they enjoyed talking to me and how positive I was and how hard I was working to get better. Really, I know people usually have horror stories about insurance companies but they have been amazing to me. I had been a policy holder with them for about 10 years and used it for urgent care one time. So the first time I needed em, wow it was big. 1.3 million and counting. Wow. But I can't stop talking about how amazing they were amd continue to be.

I just wanted to add that as people had asked me about care I received from doctors and such and the role that played in my recovery. So much focus is put on how hard I worked to get better, which is true. But a lot of people who had a lot of good training and experience are also part of the reason I am doing so well and still myself.

Thanks for reading.