PDA

View Full Version : Stay away from Carburetor Connection in Kirkland

Vombomb
05-21-2015, 11:13 AM
So after talking extensively with Alex at Carburetor Connection in Kirkland, and he assured me in emails and on the phone numerous times that his shop had worked on "tons" of Vipers, I dropped mine off to get AR headers and a Corsa Cat back.

First: One of the employees told me it would take 1 day to do the work, it ended up taking 3.
Second: Sadly I missed this when I picked it up due to the car being dirty due to rain: They re-installed the side sills wrong *bottom of the black side vents was UNDER the sills themselves...*
Third: Missing side screw on passenger side sill rear wheel well.
Fourth: On the way home, I found out it was an INSANELY rich tune, thing sounded like a machine gun on the over run and full throttle shifts produced horrendous backfires.
Fifth: 2nd day on the road, after a fun little highway pull: Loud ticking noise coming from engine! Sounds like it's coming from the valve train, immediately take it to the Dealership.
Sixth: Dealer finds the car has a massive exhaust leak from an improper exhaust header gasket install! Order new stock gasket *Jon B recommended just using stock gasket* to be installed today...

So yeah, so far that's my experience with Carburetor Connection in Kirkland, WA... Dealer will have the exhaust gasket installed today and investigate further to see what the ticking noise is. Keeping my fingers crossed it's something minor... Will post updates as they come.

Sybil TF
05-21-2015, 01:47 PM
Bummer, sounds like they should stick to carburetors...which are almost extinct...

Acperformance
05-21-2015, 09:50 PM
Hope its nothing major..

AZTVR
05-21-2015, 10:01 PM
Fifth: 2nd day on the road, after a fun little highway pull: Loud ticking noise coming from engine! Sounds like it's coming from the valve train, immediately take it to the Dealership.
Sixth: Dealer finds the car has a massive exhaust leak from an improper exhaust header gasket install! Order new stock gasket *Jon B recommended just using stock gasket* to be installed today....

Hopefully the ticking noise was the exhaust gasket leak.....

Vombomb
05-22-2015, 02:03 AM
Hopefully the ticking noise was the exhaust gasket leak.....

I'm keeping my fingers crossed but prepared for the worst... Especially since it's Todd's stage 3 heads, so any damage is gonna be costly...

Vprbite
05-22-2015, 02:07 PM
Hey vombomb...I did Belangers and hi flows and corsa cat back and at first the exhaust is really sharp. The popping on deceleration is INTENSE at first. I describe it as sharp. After a couple hundred miles, it settled in and sounds better. I think the surfaces had to get covered in carbon and I think it had to heat cycle. Also, if you are high RPM's in say 2nd, and just completely dump the throttle, you will get a lot of popping. Ease off the throttle and it's less intense. Remember, popping on decel is not backfiring. Pm me your email and I will see if I can send you a sound clip of mine I took in car. I like the sound a lot more after a couple weeks though, FWIW. I, not saying you did t get effed with by this place. Just letting you know to expect some popping. Even the new TA's have it.

Roddy
05-22-2015, 03:03 PM
You had them tune your Viper?

Todd does remote tunes. Any reason you wouldn't use his?

Hope it all works out for you.

Vombomb
05-23-2015, 12:57 AM
If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for "Todd's stage 3 heads"?

I paid 3k for the heads, from Todd at A@C Performance.

Vombomb
05-23-2015, 12:59 AM
You had them tune your Viper?

Todd does remote tunes. Any reason you wouldn't use his?

Hope it all works out for you.

That's the fun part, the Tuner was supposed to work with Todd over the phone to get his tune for the car, all they were supposed to do was run it on the dyno and give Todd the AF ratio's so he could give them a tune. They said they did, I called Todd and he said they never contacted him. He said when I get the car back to just flash it with my SCT for the tune it had before the headers, and when I swing by his place on my way to AZ he'll tune it properly.

LeadfootRT10
05-23-2015, 03:19 AM
Shoulda waited till you got to Phoenix. Eddie would have completed a perfect install.

Vombomb
05-23-2015, 02:35 PM
Shoulda waited till you got to Phoenix. Eddie would have completed a perfect install.

Hindsight is 20/20 :p Damn my impatience!

Vprbite
05-23-2015, 08:13 PM
Patience is a real virtue when it comes to getting these cars worked on right. If something gets screwed up, it's not even on par with an LS engine in terms of parts availability and cost. If you can run a safe tune for now, eddie will reward your patience. Or Todd at A&C should get you sorted out. You are taking the car to him to get the install and tune done, right?

Vombomb
05-23-2015, 09:15 PM
I didn't think a simple header instal and tune would be this much of a problem especially since he promised to work with Todd over the phone. Guess that's what I get for taking someone for their word... Yes Todd is going to re-tune it if the dealership gets it all put back together before I go on vacation in June.

LeadfootRT10
05-24-2015, 12:12 PM
I didn't think a simple header instal and tune would be this much of a problem especially since he promised to work with Todd over the phone. Guess that's what I get for taking someone for their word... Yes Todd is going to re-tune it if the dealership gets it all put back together before I go on vacation in June.

What are your plans for your vacation in June? I know you've talked about coming down here to Phoenix. We have a day cruise planned for June 20th to Jerome. If you should definitely come if you're able.

Double0fox
05-24-2015, 08:37 PM
Sorry about your luck Tony. Any updates?

Vombomb
05-25-2015, 08:10 PM
What are your plans for your vacation in June? I know you've talked about coming down here to Phoenix. We have a day cruise planned for June 20th to Jerome. If you should definitely come if you're able.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to stay until the 20th, but we'll see!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about your luck Tony. Any updates?

Will find out more tomorrow.

Double0fox
05-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Oh and Tony speaking of Phoenix. I fly out Wednesday evening. Looking at houses in the Chandler area Thurs-Sat. Pretty soon I too will be posting in the AZ Section.

Vprbite
05-25-2015, 11:39 PM
Oh great. Two of you Northwest hippies to deal with now. Just make sure to leave your Nirvana records and flannel at home before you come out here. We don't take kindly to hippie types.

Double0fox
05-25-2015, 11:47 PM
Oh great. Two of you Northwest hippies to deal with now. Just make sure to leave your Nirvana records and flannel at home before you come out here. We don't take kindly to hippie types.

Seriously?

LeadfootRT10
05-26-2015, 12:14 AM
Seriously?

LMAO, NO WAY! Jeff is just bustin' your chops. We're a close knit group and enjoy ribbin' on each other, but seriously, leave the flannels behind, you won't need them! We welcome members from all regions to learn why we suffer the 120 heat. We're looking forward to you joining us on a permanent basis, feel free to reach out when you visit.

Double0fox
05-26-2015, 12:37 AM
LMAO, NO WAY! Jeff is just bustin' your chops. We're a close knit group and enjoy ribbin' on each other, but seriously, leave the flannels behind, you won't need them! We welcome members from all regions to learn why we suffer the 120 heat. We're looking forward to you joining us on a permanent basis, feel free to reach out when you visit.

Ok thought so, but wasn't 100%. I have lived in AZ before (metro Phoenix/Peoria/Chandler/Tempe). And don't worry, I am glad to be leaving a blue state to a red one (See post in the firearm thread). I tried to join the closed Facebook page, but no response so far.

P.S. I cannot stand Nirvanna (it plays on the radio 24/7 too!!!!)

Vprbite
05-26-2015, 05:55 AM
Thanks Todd for clarifying. Really I was just chop busting. We have a great group of people out here as you will see and we like to rag on each other a bit. It's all in fun and based on friendship and respect. We welcome members from other regions to come out and see why we have the best region, far and away. Sometimes we are a little slow getting started on drives though cause whitesnake walks to the front of his gen V and tries to turn the crank on the front of the car to get it going. Old habits Ya know.

Vombomb
05-26-2015, 11:52 AM
Oh and Tony speaking of Phoenix. I fly out Wednesday evening. Looking at houses in the Chandler area Thurs-Sat. Pretty soon I too will be posting in the AZ Section.

Sweet! I'll be down there early/mid June, hit me up if you're still in the area. Pretty sure I'll be taking the Pumpkin unless it's a major issue. Also just ignore Jeff, he's just mad that he found out that Red, is actually slower than Orange, and his only way of coping is by getting drunk and yelling obscenities at us youngins from his front porch.

Vombomb
05-26-2015, 11:53 AM

Oh god, I'm so sick of Nirvana I could scream. For some reason all the stations play AC/DC up here all the time too, so now that band is ruined for me as well...

Vprbite
05-26-2015, 01:55 PM
Sweet! I'll be down there early/mid June, hit me up if you're still in the area. Pretty sure I'll be taking the Pumpkin unless it's a major issue. Also just ignore Jeff, he's just mad that he found out that Red, is actually slower than Orange, and his only way of coping is by getting drunk and yelling obscenities at us youngins from his front porch.

Ha, shows what you know! Im not even allowed within 500 feet of young'ins so the jokes on you. But you are right about me being drunk off corn squeezins.

Double0fox
05-26-2015, 02:41 PM

You guys are cracking me up. If I find something I like it will be around the first or second week in July.

Vprbite
05-26-2015, 04:42 PM
You guys are cracking me up. If I find something I like it will be around the first or second week in July.

We have a pretty good time here. We realize that since we are all Viper owners we all must have a screw loose.

Vombomb
05-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Another update: Headers were missing bolts, so yeah needless to say I might be going after Carb Conn legally... This is just unacceptable!