PDA

View Full Version : Chrome peeling...

Sybil TF
05-19-2015, 10:43 AM
After about 300 miles the chrome is peeling on the inside. This sucks.

sonicbloo
05-19-2015, 11:58 AM
Not good, but not the end of the world as long as the outside face is ok. If you get a replacement set, I'm guessing you'll have the same issue shortly.
I bought a set of chrome 'bullitt' wheels for my Mustang in 2007, and the same thing happened. I sanded down and spray painted the insides silver followed by clear laquer, and they looked good for several years.

daytonprowler
05-19-2015, 12:12 PM
Ouch. Had the same problem with my Prowler wheels. Chrysler sent me a new set at the time.

Did you just have these recently re-chromed?

ACRucrazy
05-19-2015, 12:28 PM
It's a sign chrome doesn't belong on wheels.

In all seriousness, good luck!

Sybil TF
05-19-2015, 12:33 PM
Ouch. Had the same problem with my Prowler wheels. Chrysler sent me a new set at the time.

Did you just have these recently re-chromed?Had them chromed at Cal chrome a year and a half ago but hardly driven.They were just the clear coated factory finish before. Challenger CCW wheels were done too and no issues.

Sybil TF
05-19-2015, 12:35 PM
Not good, but not the end of the world as long as the outside face is ok. If you get a replacement set, I'm guessing you'll have the same issue shortly.
I bought a set of chrome 'bullitt' wheels for my Mustang in 2007, and the same thing happened. I sanded down and spray painted the insides silver followed by clear laquer, and they looked good for several years.Face is ok so far, wonder if i can pop it off the barell and just high polish the aluminum?

ACRucrazy
05-19-2015, 12:45 PM
Did you reach out to Cal Chrome?

Sybil TF
05-19-2015, 01:32 PM
Yeah, warranty is only good for a year. Been a little over a year and a half. Probably was peeling sooner but you can't see in there so I will probably do as suggested above. As long as it don't peel off the face I will just have to live with it. If not it will have to be re-chromed at a discount they say. Old wheels are probably imbedded with contaminants.

daytonprowler
05-19-2015, 02:01 PM
They suggested on my Prowler replacement wheels that to only use soap and water to clean. No cleaners and no polish.

Sybil TF
05-19-2015, 02:08 PM
They suggested on my Prowler replacement wheels that to only use soap and water to clean. No cleaners and no polish.Nothing but car wash soap used. Car sits in the garage mostly lol

Fatboy 18
05-19-2015, 02:22 PM
Sorry to see that :( I have had the same issues with the chrome hubs on my motorcycle, Aluminium breathes and the oxidation causes the chrome to pit and come loose.

Sybil TF
05-19-2015, 02:52 PM
Sorry to see that :( I have had the same issues with the chrome hubs on my motorcycle, Aluminium breathes and the oxidation causes the chrome to pit and come loose.
I guess polished aluminum is the best, I hope my Challenger wheels don't do this or will have a big mess on my hands...

AZTVR
05-19-2015, 04:00 PM

Had them chromed at Cal chrome a year and a half ago but hardly driven.They were just the clear coated factory finish before.

Yeah, warranty is only good for a year. Been a little over a year and a half. Probably was peeling sooner but you can't see in there so I will probably do as suggested above.

Well, at least we know now not to send people to Cal Chrome. They apparently can not afford to take care of their dissatisfied customers; so, they should also know that means that the word about the longevity of their product gets spread.

C.J
05-19-2015, 04:29 PM
What a disappointment! Sonicbloo might have the solution. Seems like you'll have to address the peeling or it will eventually make its way to the face of the wheel.

That also cements my decision to not have my wheels chromed...I'd been thinking about it for some time.

JerseyGTS
05-19-2015, 07:15 PM
Same thing happening to mine but closer to the face of the wheel...had them done at cal chrome January 2012. Have to agree with acrucrzy, I won't do that again.

Sybil TF
05-19-2015, 09:19 PM
Same thing happening to mine but closer to the face of the wheel...had them done at cal chrome January 2012. Have to agree with acrucrzy, I won't do that again.
Sorry to hear, got any pics? I had many say beforehand that they are great and no problems. Hate to slam on a company but just want people to be aware. I could understand if i raced and abused the wheels but not the case.

Sybil TF
05-19-2015, 09:29 PM
Since my Challenger wheels are not peeling and were done about the same time I would be willing to bet it is because the were fairly new and clean vs the old viper wheels that had a lot of imbedded contaminants. If I were to do it again I would just have them professionally polished.

So far it is only one wheel but live and learn I guess...

uvbnbit
05-20-2015, 05:48 AM
Keep eye on tire pressures too. If it starting peeling that soon, it may start in bead seat areas too or work it's way around to other areas.

Sybil TF
05-20-2015, 06:57 AM
Keep eye on tire pressures too. If it starting peeling that soon, it may start in bead seat areas too or work it's way around to other areas.Thanks for the tip and the cat delete pipes!. I'm going to send it back and get it re-done in the fall.

Dajerseyviper
05-20-2015, 07:55 AM

that looks like a BS spray on chrome they used.

uvbnbit
05-21-2015, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the tip and the cat delete pipes!.

You're welcome. Car sounds great. :dude3: