PDA

View Full Version : How long can a Dealer let a 2013 sit?

Newport Viper
11-29-2013, 11:55 PM
I know ZERO about the behind the scenes situation at a dealership.

So some questions came to mind.

How long can a dealer let a Gen V sit?

How much can they lose?

Hows the money ( are they finacing it? ) work?

What is the max they can cut the price?

I know Ralph was Tongue & Cheek about the Viper sitting there and looking sexy in the showroom.... but at what price/damage to the dealership?

mnc2886
11-30-2013, 12:28 AM
From what I understand after 90 days they start paying a form of insurance on it, but I don't know what that is or costs exactly. If there are 2013 Vipers left after the summer, you will see aggressive deals made and I'm sure they will be incentives from SRT for it. I think at 3 years, it can no longer be sold as a new car and then the bottom really drops out. There will definitely be a few stragglers by next winter, so we'll see.

Nine Ball
11-30-2013, 02:06 AM
There were new 2010 Vipers still on lots earlier this year. Depends on dealer.

slitherv10
11-30-2013, 08:39 AM
From what I understand after 90 days they start paying a form of insurance on it, but I don't know what that is or costs exactly. If there are 2013 Vipers left after the summer, you will see aggressive deals made and I'm sure they will be incentives from SRT for it. I think at 3 years, it can no longer be sold as a new car and then the bottom really drops out. There will definitely be a few stragglers by next winter, so we'll see.

Well I believe I have seen a few 2010's brand new still lying around and the prices as still as they were in 2010. In the end, its supply and demand that will dictate the price, but, a car sitting for 3 years or less brand new, only tells me that it is too high asking price or the styling is unfavorable in comparison to a new current model.
In the 2010 case I think people are still on the fence as to whether to spend the same money on a 2013-2014, or take the chance that the new car is going to be a flop and the 2010's will hold their value and maybe gain as the styling is more favorable than the new one.
I personally think the new car is not what most expected and thus the Gen 4 cars, esp the ACR's have held their value because no one is selling theirs for new ones.
Supply and demand.

v10enomous
11-30-2013, 09:52 AM
There were new 2010 Vipers still on lots earlier this year. Depends on dealer.

Still are...

Ohiotj
11-30-2013, 09:58 AM
They can sit as long as they want. What it cost a dealer to let them sit depends on their flooring plan with the bank.

Policy Limits
11-30-2013, 10:14 AM
I tweeted Ralph that I was one of the 400 who bought sight unseen & feel the car is lots of bang for the buck so to speak; he tweeted back by saying now they are approaching 600 units sold, but I'm not sure what percentage of those were 13's, if any. Really surprised to learn that new 10's are still listed and even more so that they're the same price 1/3 decade later. Any links to listings?

slitherv10
11-30-2013, 10:22 AM
I tweeted Ralph that I was one of the 400 who bought sight unseen & feel the car is lots of bang for the buck so to speak; he tweeted back by saying now they are approaching 600 units sold, but I'm not sure what percentage of those were 13's, if any. Really surprised to learn that new 10's are still listed and even more so that they're the same price 1/3 decade later. Any links to listings?

Here is one

http://viperexchange.com/2010-dodge-viper-new.php

heres another

http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-BRAND-NEW-2010-Dodge-Viper-SRT10-Canada-Final-Edition-W0QQAdIdZ441959659

Policy Limits
11-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Looks like a special edition; really mean! Can't believe it hasn't sold in 3 years! It's the perfect color and the ACR was one of the best snakes made! What's anticipated depreciation on the V? My guess 30% in 3 years and 50% in five. What's the average depreciation over all gen's in 20 years?

slitherv10
11-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Looks like a special edition; really mean! Can't believe it hasn't sold in 3 years! It's the perfect color and the ACR was one of the best snakes made! What's anticipated depreciation on the V? My guess 30% in 3 years and 50% in five. What's the average depreciation over all gen's in 20 years?

I would say the color combo and price are not at most peoples favorable point. Price first of course. If the price was say 90K it would be gone tomorrow. Not sure about how much it cost the dealership to have that much money sitting in the car this long and the interested they pay during the 3 years. I don't think its a + towards to dealer, that's for sure. Limited edition or not, its just an ACR. Too many 1 of 1"s out there that killed that market already.

VENOM V
11-30-2013, 10:40 AM

Holy crap, that is eye opening. An ACR 7:12 Nürburgring Edition still on the lot? I would have thought that it would have been snatched up by a Viper die-hard enthusiast by now. There's also a Stryker Red Gen V in Monterey CA, still for sale. Surprising since something like 50 people that had put a deposit on a Stryker Red were turned away. It was damned hard to get mine.

I guess it goes back to what ViperSmith said a while ago- Vipers continue to be the best kept secret in the world of supercars.

slitherv10
11-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Holy crap, that is eye opening. An ACR 7:12 Nürburgring Edition still on the lot? I would have thought that it would have been snatched up by a Viper die-hard enthusiast by now. There's also a Stryker Red Gen V in Monterey CA, still for sale. Surprising since something like 50 people that had put a deposit on a Stryker Red were turned away. It was damned hard to get mine.

I guess it goes back to what ViperSmith said a while ago- Vipers continue to be the best kept secret in the world of supercars.

Unfortunately if the brand continues to be the "secret" it will end up being one. It will be its demise in the end.

sparkrn
11-30-2013, 10:47 AM
2013 Black with silver stripes in Rockford IL. The must not want to sell it because they are asking 10,000 over window sticker.:monkeyleft:

Garron
11-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Some dealerships just want a viper in the showroom, It can attract people to other Chrysler products.

VENOM V
11-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Unfortunately if the brand continues to be the "secret" it will end up being one. It will be its demise in the end.

Totally agree, hope they figure out how to change that.

slitherv10
11-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Some dealerships just want a viper in the showroom, It can attract people to other Chrysler products.

It;s a sad day in paradise when were using our Halo/flagship car to attract costumers instead of making them one. I guess the Viper is becoming good at something ...eh!!(Canadian). There was a time when the Chrysler products attracted the costumer into the dealership and when they saw the Viper , they became owners of the latter.

ViperSmith
11-30-2013, 01:24 PM
600 sold in 7 months, I am sure SRT would like more than that - but I think they'll move them all in the end.

A lackluster start, but I think 2014 is going to be good. The press has been solid and the SRT all access is getting real exposure.

The cars will move and bravo to SRT for the All Access, they are doing what they need to - finally.

99RT10
11-30-2013, 01:35 PM
They can sit as long as they want. What it cost a dealer to let them sit depends on their flooring plan with the bank.

Exactly. As long as the owner is willing to paying the taxes and insurance, forever.

Policy Limits
11-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Until they go bankrupt just like the factory did; the difference being the small guy dealers won't get bailed out of it like Detroit auto industry did

ViperSmith
11-30-2013, 05:03 PM
Until they go bankrupt just like the factory did; the difference being the small guy dealers won't get bailed out of it like Detroit auto industry did

I think one of SRTs critical mistakes with the car was not labeling them ALL 14's this year, as you had suggested forever ago. Then there wouldn't have been this issue of "13's and 14's on show room floors"

But, I hope we see SRT turn it around!

RedTanRT/10
11-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Hey Dave, yeah I'm guessing your really don't know how dealerships buy and sell cars. Answers below, not too much different the if you were selling your GIII

I know ZERO about the behind the scenes situation at a dealership.

So some questions came to mind.

How long can a dealer let a Gen V sit? Forever

How much can they lose? In theory more than the price of the car, if they sit on it forever

Hows the money ( are they finacing it? ) work? They pay for the car when it leaves the plant by financing it on their floor plan with a bank or finance company , today's rates are approximately 3%, say $250/month on a $100k invoice. They also pay for insurance, on a $100k say $100/month, plus they've got to wash it, etc..

What is the max they can cut the price? Unlimited, they own it

I know Ralph was Tongue & Cheek about the Viper sitting there and looking sexy in the showroom.... but at what price/damage to the dealership?

Newport Viper
12-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Hey Dave, yeah I'm guessing your really don't know how dealerships buy and sell cars. Answers below, not too much different the if you were selling your GIII

Thanks! I really had no clue how it worked.

ViperSmith
12-01-2013, 04:10 PM
I stopped by another local Dodge dealer today to look at a RAM. This is another one that I had put my info down for last Sept/Oct in hopes to order.

They also didn't call me back any closer to order time (They never called me back at all). They are still sitting on their 2013 GTS.

Two local Dodge dealers I gave my info to never called me to order when orders rolled around - they wanted the big $20k ADM and now probably will eat a loss.

Policy Limits
12-01-2013, 04:30 PM
The premium is a joke; I bet even at MSRP inclusive of dealer cash back the average dealer made 15k on the average car.

Ohiotj
12-01-2013, 07:42 PM
I hate to say it but there is a reason why this car was dead a few years ago. I think the price is too high for the new gen v. Dumb down the Interior content to a reasonable level, no fancy radio, leather stitched from alligator hair, etc. if they could price it in the 80's or so it would be open to more buyers. I know it easy to say but a cheaper car with a v10 sounds more fun then a fancy car with a v 10. I Know it's not a common mans car but you can't price yourself outta the game either.

ViperSmith
12-01-2013, 07:49 PM
I hate to say it but there is a reason why this car was dead a few years ago. I think the price is too high for the new gen v. Dumb down the Interior content to a reasonable level, no fancy radio, leather stitched from alligator hair, etc. if they could price it in the 80's or so it would be open to more buyers. I know it easy to say but a cheaper car with a v10 sounds more fun then a fancy car with a v 10. I Know it's not a common mans car but you can't price yourself outta the game either.

The only year the Viper has ever been priced in the $85,000 range was the 1992 model. It jumped to >$91,000 in 1993. All inflation adjusted, of course.

Sounds like you want the Viper to be an Ariel Atom.

I wouldn't have paid $80,000 for what you describe, at all.

Newport Viper
12-01-2013, 10:09 PM
I hate to say it but there is a reason why this car was dead a few years ago.

Hopefully not dead yet...

So a dealer ponied up $25,000 to get a few cars and is now eating them..

example: http://www.getdodge.com/all-inventory/index.htm?search=viper

Do they

A) Slowly keep dropping prices & Never bother to get another one... they are just a hassle to have around.
B) Stop dropping prices and just wait for a better day
C) Fire sale them out and eat the $25,000

Your the dealer... what do you do?

KRATEDISEASE
12-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Hopefully not dead yet...

So a dealer ponied up $25,000 to get a few cars and is now eating them..

example: http://www.getdodge.com/all-inventory/index.htm?search=viper

Do they

A) Slowly keep dropping prices & Never bother to get another one... they are just a hassle to have around.
B) Stop dropping prices and just wait for a better day
C) Fire sale them out and eat the $25,000

Your the dealer... what do you do?

most dealers just sit on old stock. If you think the unsold year old or two year old car is dead money, thats nothing compared to old unsold parts stock that dealers carry in inventory that also never gets sold. Eventually the cars get sent to a private dealer auction. Then a "used" car dealer can sell it on ebay. There are tons of NEW old stock autos. Large dealers just eat the loss, and small dealers get banged hard on the loss.

Chorps
12-02-2013, 12:48 AM
Sigh...sales would jump if a slush box was put into it, that is the sad fact of the matter. Doesn't have to be a DCT, but if SRT put a torque managed autobox in there so it wouldn't blow apart under full blast I bet sales would double because there's a ton of people who can't use/stand the third pedal. :P

pastohio
12-02-2013, 07:11 AM
The number 600 is being thrown around here, does this include the cars sitting on the dealership floors ?? The dealers OWN these cars, Dodge sold them to the dealer correct !!?? They can sell them for whatever price they wish....how many dealers are trying to sell theirs on Ebay right now !!?? My $.02

Viktimize
12-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Sigh...sales would jump if a slush box was put into it, that is the sad fact of the matter. Doesn't have to be a DCT, but if SRT put a torque managed autobox in there so it wouldn't blow apart under full blast I bet sales would double because there's a ton of people who can't use/stand the third pedal. :P

ZR1 seems to sell fine with a real trans as the only option. I think they just need to market better so people actually know about the car, and wait for people to get over the mindset that this car is a rough ass race car not fit for the street. This is the first really refined re-design, so it's reputation is still floating around.

How many people actually know about this car yet though?? Personally I have not seen single commercial or bit of marketing to make people aware this new Viper even exists. Aside from seeing one in a dealer showroom, I would not even know about it if it wasn't for being a Viper enthusiast already.

ViperSmith
12-02-2013, 10:10 AM
ZR1 seems to sell fine with a real trans as the only option. I think they just need to market better so people actually know about the car, and wait for people to get over the mindset that this car is a rough ass race car not fit for the street. This is the first really refined re-design, so it's reputation is still floating around.

How many people actually know about this car yet though?? Personally I have not seen single commercial or bit of marketing to make people aware this new Viper even exists. Aside from seeing one in a dealer showroom, I would not even know about it if it wasn't for being a Viper enthusiast already.

Oddly the ZR1 only sold "well" the first two years, 11, 12, 13 it never got above 1k units sold

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c6/corvette-zr1-registry/#.UpywmmRgZKQ

Z06 as I recall was less in those years.

Viktimize
12-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Oddly the ZR1 only sold "well" the first two years, 11, 12, 13 it never got above 1k units sold

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c6/corvette-zr1-registry/#.UpywmmRgZKQ

Z06 as I recall was less in those years.

Yeah I think when people realized they get a car just as fast for less money, they just started buying the Z06 again.

ViperSmith
12-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Yeah I think when people realized they get a car just as fast for less money, they just started buying the Z06 again.

The strange thing about the Z06 is the pricing got out of control as well. I was shopping for one before the Gen V came out and I couldn't justify the $85+ most were being optioned out for!

Will be interesting to see if Chevy rolls out a Z06 and ZR1 equivalent or just sticks to a single model this go around. I'd bet you see a $100k price point for the Z06. If they are only moving 1000 total a year, no reason not to, IMHO.

Newport Viper
12-02-2013, 11:44 AM
It's pretty shocking how small an amout of ZR1's were sold. Just think how big the Vette owner base is. (300,000++?) Compared to the Viper owner base of 25,000+. The Gen V is selling pretty good when you look at those ratios.

KRATEDISEASE
12-02-2013, 12:36 PM
The number 600 is being thrown around here, does this include the cars sitting on the dealership floors ?? The dealers OWN these cars, Dodge sold them to the dealer correct !!?? They can sell them for whatever price they wish....how many dealers are trying to sell theirs on Ebay right now !!?? My $.02

I went to East Hills Chrysler in Rosyln NY this morning after dropping the kids off at school. I am off for a few days with time to kill. They had a yellow 2013 GTS (no stripes) roped off in the showroom facing the street. Went in to look at the car since, again, I had nothing but time to kill. The dealer is in the center of the "Gold Coast" of long island surrounded by the highest income neighborhoods in the US , ( not just NY, but the entire US). Oyster Bay, Manhasset, Great Neck, Old Brookville, Sands Point to just name a few. I asked the sales person how long they had the car. The sales person said they had it since April. I asked what they wanted for the car, after disclosing that I know that sales are slow and I am on the Viper Forums. The salesman said the sticker is $138K but they are willing to sell the car for $128K, or $10K off. I then asked if they sold any others. He said No. I asked if they had any other orders from anyone who may want the car configured differently or in any other colors, and he said, No. I asked if people came to see the car, and he said yes, many people have come in to see the car, but repeated that the showroom car has sat unsold since April, and that they have not taken even one order for a different configured Viper.

I am not interested in the Troll comments. I am not interested in the personal attacks. I am just posting information of what occurred. Nothing more. I was just surprised since the dealer is in the middle of the "Gold Coast" and had the car on display clearly visible from a main road, yet the dealer has not sold even one Viper. Not what I had expected.

ViperSmith
12-02-2013, 12:48 PM
I went to East Hills Chrysler in Rosyln NY this morning after dropping the kids off at school. I am off for a few days with time to kill. They had a yellow 2013 GTS (no stripes) roped off in the showroom facing the street. Went in to look at the car since, again, I had nothing but time to kill. The dealer is in the center of the "Gold Coast" of long island surrounded by the highest income neighborhoods in the US , ( not just NY, but the entire US). Oyster Bay, Manhasset, Great Neck, Old Brookville, Sands Point to just name a few. I asked the sales person how long they had the car. The sales person said they had it since April. I asked what they wanted for the car, after disclosing that I know that sales are slow and I am on the Viper Forums. The salesman said the sticker is $138K but they are willing to sell the car for $128K, or $10K off. I then asked if they sold any others. He said No. I asked if they had any other orders from anyone who may want the car configured differently or in any other colors, and he said, No. I asked if people came to see the car, and he said yes, many people have come in to see the car, but repeated that the showroom car has sat unsold since April, and that they have not taken even one order for a different configured Viper.

I am not interested in the Troll comments. I am not interested in the personal attacks. I am just posting information of what occurred. Nothing more. I was just surprised since the dealer is in the middle of the "Gold Coast" and had the car on display clearly visible from a main road, yet the dealer has not sold even one Viper. Not what I had expected.

I also wonder if this was the same as my two local dealers, who took down my info last year but never returned my calls to order a car when the time to order came around.

Why? Because they ordered optioned out cars, added $20-50k ADM on them and thought they'd get rich.

Now they are sitting on the cars, when they could have had one sold before it even arrived. I'd love to know how many dealers did this, I assume more than a few.

SRTs dealer network is probably the weakest link in the chain.

The dealer I stopped at this weekend (Looking at a RAM) was asking me about my Viper. I told him "you should let people test drive it, you'll sell it in a heart beat"

"Oh we can't do that, they don't allow test drives"

They just don't get it.

Policy Limits
12-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Krate $10k off sticker is a great deal & yellow is a great color! Pull the trigger!

Helo Steve
12-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Stopped in a Dodge dealership in White Plains yesterday to kill some time and see if they had a Gen V. They had a B/W GTS Launch Edition, sticker was $140k but they were asking $152k !!!

Talked a bit with a salesperson who came over because I was looking at the car. I don't know how long they've had it and didn't ask but guess it had to have been there awhile.

KRATEDISEASE
12-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Krate $10k off sticker is a great deal & yellow is a great color! Pull the trigger!

I did not go in expecting to buy the car. Over the summer I did go to another ( Security Dodge) dealer who had a Blue/white stripe GTS excited and motivated/wanting to buy that car ( to match my current 1997 GTS) , but as many of you may know, after sitting in the Blue GTS my fatness and broad shoulders made the car extremely un-useable with my build. My old 1997 GTS appears to apparently have more shoulder room. And we all know how that thread developed....

Funny thing.... I sat in the new C7 corvette a bit back, and noticed that that the C7 seat is set much higher than my C6. I was NOT happy about that either. I posted this finding on the Corvette Forum, and others agreed that the new C7 has less headroom and a higher seat position as compared to the C6. I am 6'2'' and that was not good news either.

RedTanRT/10
12-02-2013, 02:04 PM

At October month end Chrysler reported a total of 495 US retail sales, which doesn't include Canada or other exports. They sold 69 vipers in October which is the highest retail sales month so far

They also reported US viper (dealer) inventory at 600

Today is November sales close, so updated info will be available next week.

Viktimize
12-02-2013, 02:57 PM
It's pretty shocking how small an amout of ZR1's were sold. Just think how big the Vette owner base is. (300,000++?) Compared to the Viper owner base of 25,000+. The Gen V is selling pretty good when you look at those ratios.

If you could buy a dumbed down Viper with 300-400hp for a much more buyer friendly price, they would probably sell like hot cakes too. The average driver just isn't a car person, they mainly want something with cool features, good gas mileage, that looks nice to be seen in. I always hated Ford for their horrible driving cars. But they are smart, they don't waste time engineering a car that is nice to drive, they engineer a car with lots of bells and whistles that is cheap to sell to the majority of drivers.

sparkrn
12-02-2013, 06:03 PM
I wish I had a spare 150k laying around, there is nothing I don't like about the gen v. just can't believe the demand isn't through the roof. But that argument of sale ratio compared to the zr 1 sure show some validity. maybe were all wrong and sales are fine.

Chorps
12-02-2013, 06:04 PM
If you could buy a dumbed down Viper with 300-400hp for a much more buyer friendly price, they would probably sell like hot cakes too. The average driver just isn't a car person, they mainly want something with cool features, good gas mileage, that looks nice to be seen in. I always hated Ford for their horrible driving cars. But they are smart, they don't waste time engineering a car that is nice to drive, they engineer a car with lots of bells and whistles that is cheap to sell to the majority of drivers.

That was the idea behind the Firepower concept.

I actually saw the writing on the wall when Viper owners roundly turned up their noses at even helping push the 2005 Firepower concept and then only the Challenger was greenlit. All management could do at the time was point to the Crossfire and moan how the coupe idea was 'already done and failed' without even bothering to look at how outdated the Crossfire was during its debut.

The Viper will always be in danger of becoming extinct simply because of the lack of production volume. Separate plant that makes nothing else: check. Unique engine that isn't in any other product: check. Chassis/platform that isn't shared with any other model: check.

Building a non Viper derived from the same chassis with a hemi chucked in there with an automatic would be the best thing that ever happened to the Viper. Also making some more (limited production) drag pack Challengers and SRT-10 Trucks wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Viper owners may want to be 'exclusive' with their unshared platform and engine, but they sure don't seem to put any monetary value to that exclusivity. I think any other manufacturer building something as unique as the Viper would be charging double just to get in the door. Either the Viper has to be less 'unique' (on the internals) or it has be more expensive (to cover the low volume production and R&D). I think trying to have it both ways is just a slow form of suicide.

It is also obvious that going more expensive hasn't brought anyone around either, although I'm blaming product planners and marketing for that one.

RedTanRT/10
12-03-2013, 05:47 PM
November US retail viper sales = 41, 536 YTD

Anonymous
12-03-2013, 05:57 PM
The answer to the ? Is they can hold on to it as long as they want to continue paying interest to Fiat for the car to sit there,so it can get expensive to keep them collecting dust,they don't buy the inventory they just pay interest on it.

pastohio
12-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Anonymous, are you talking about the dealers, they own the cars now, they pay the floor to the local bank that they have the line of credit with....unless something happened recently to the contrary, when CAAP ships the dealer owns it ! My $.02

Anonymous
12-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Some finance it with local bank,some with Fiat but they are lines of credit ,in my book you own something when it is your money.

Policy Limits
12-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Would anyone feel badly if a greedy dealer that had a huge mark up takes a loss or even ends up bankrupt?

Pigs get fatter hogs get slaughtered

v10enomous
12-03-2013, 07:29 PM
It's a battle of wills between the buyers and the sellers right now. Realistically Chrysler should start offering some big incentives to get the ball rolling. I also think like myself, a lot of potential buyers for the GenV already have a Viper they love in the garage and it's tough to rationalize why a new one is worth 2 or 3 or 4 times as much as what they have.

Anonymous
12-03-2013, 07:49 PM
V10 agreed 100%

Space Truckin
12-03-2013, 07:57 PM
It's a battle of wills between the buyers and the sellers right now. Realistically Chrysler should start offering some big incentives to get the ball rolling. I also think like myself, a lot of potential buyers for the GenV already have a Viper they love in the garage and it's tough to rationalize why a new one is worth 2 or 3 or 4 times as much as what they have.

The GenV is so much more than that. When I went shopping and put my Gen IV next to the GEN V it reminded me of a chiseled lightweight boxer (Floyd Mayweather)and an MMA guy like (Brock Lesnar). The Gen IV actually looked "small" compared to the on "steroids" Gen V. You really have to see/ put the cars next to one another to see the startling physical differences. JM2C

Getnlwr
12-03-2013, 10:02 PM
There is a White with Billet silver stripes sitting in the dealer about 10 miles from me. MSRP is 114K, Basic with a few upgrades. Asking price 158K !!! It was painfully funny to hear. The keys are locked in the owners desk, and no one there can even open the door to the car. (including the salesman)

Space Truckin
12-03-2013, 10:17 PM
There is a White with Billet silver stripes sitting in the dealer about 10 miles from me. MSRP is 114K, Basic with a few upgrades. Asking price 158K !!! It was painfully funny to hear. The keys are locked in the owners desk, and no one there can even open the door to the car. (including the salesman)

Not gonna sell it for that!!!

ViperSmith
12-03-2013, 10:58 PM

Dealers are the weakest link in the chain.

VRYALT3R3D
12-05-2013, 09:59 PM
These cars are sitting on the dealer's floorplan. The banks own the cars. As far as Chrysler goes, they are "SOLD" from their perspective.

KRATEDISEASE
12-05-2013, 10:16 PM
These cars are sitting on the dealer's floorplan. The banks own the cars. As far as Chrysler goes, they are "SOLD" from their perspective.

Yes, Sold Viper statistics mean nothing. REGISTERED Cars statistics indicate TRUE ownership/sales figures. The question is ... who has access to the registered vehicle statistics ? And the next question is.......... who really cares ??

I believe ( but could be wrong) that only Chrysler knows the registered Viper owner statistics, since they get the notification of ownership as soon as warranty starts when the dealer notifies them since the "in service" date goes into the Chrysler computer for the warranty to start...guessing ??? Remember that any new car warranty starts with the "in service" date otherwise know as the day the car gets registered for use on the road.

RedTanRT/10
12-05-2013, 10:51 PM
KRATEDISEASE, the sold stats are sold at retail, registered to an individual, as you would say the US ownership/sales, registered, in service. as dealers would say RDR's punched

November US retail viper sales = 41, 536 YTD

XSnake
12-06-2013, 06:47 AM

and this is where a large problem in the sales lie, the dealerships.

Policy Limits
12-06-2013, 07:32 AM
Dealers aren't only the weakest link in the chain for sales and getting a purchaser into the brand, they are also the weakest link in the lack of confidence in service and in keeping someone in the brand once there. My .02

Slaughterj
12-06-2013, 11:32 AM

Then why would a manufacturer ever off money to clear out the old inventory?

Viktimize
12-06-2013, 01:40 PM

Because sometimes you have to cut your losses. As soon as a new model year comes out, who is going to pay the same price for a car that is a year older now? Essentially the same car, but the older car depreciates more as soon as it leaves the lot. As a business owner you would probably want that liability off your books ASAP to free up capital for new inventory. Every day that older model just keeps ballooning in price because of the interest that gets tacked on the longer you have that loan open.

But incentives right from SRT still make good sense, it gets more cars on the road, which is a pretty good form of marketing.

v10enomous
12-06-2013, 02:37 PM

So their dealers can bring in new inventory.

GTSViper
12-06-2013, 07:26 PM
A quick tidbit about Vipers sitting on dealer lots.
Back in April 93 I was a huge enthusiast who dreamed of owning a Viper and was fortunate enough to be allowed to sit in one at Schaumburg Dodge. It was a red early 92 model and had dealer mark up of $100k on top of the sticker along with do not touch signs. It had velvet ropes around it and the general manager said it was better than putting an ad on TV as everyone wanted to come see the new Viper and he often sold them something else. (In our case it was a Stealth Twin Turbo which later was traded in on my first Viper!)
A few months later that Viper was sold to someone who paid $101k cash plus a few autographs. The GM told us #34 "sweetness" saw it and had to have it, yep, Walter Payton.
I think several dealers use Vipers to get people to come into their showroom but probably not quite as successfully as we experienced.

boostsaves
12-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Does anyone have any idea what it would take for SRT to put a cash incentive out? Like what, maybe 10 sold for the month or something. 41 for November to me isin't that bad.