PDA

View Full Version : Side sill insulation adhesive?

Viper Pit
11-29-2013, 03:36 PM
What have you guys used to re affix the side sill insulation once it breaks loose. I put a full Belanger system on and I have some rattling of the insulation on the side that came off. Any suggestions?

Garron
11-29-2013, 04:06 PM
What have you guys used to re affix the side sill insulation once it breaks loose. I put a full Belanger system on and I have some rattling of the insulation on the side that came off. Any suggestions?

I have been using the red high heat silicone for years, The OEM stuff falls off after two years

Permatex High Temp RTV Silicone

OEM specified. Formulated for hi-temp applications, or heavy-duty use (such as towing, etc.). Replaces almost any cut gasket by making reliable “formed-in-place” gaskets that resist cracking, shrinking and migrating caused by thermal cycling. Coats pre-cut gaskets to increase reliability. Temperature range -65ºF to 650ºF (-54°C to 343°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids.

ViperGeorge
11-29-2013, 05:07 PM
I have been using the red high heat silicone for years, The OEM stuff falls off after two years

Permatex High Temp RTV Silicone

OEM specified. Formulated for hi-temp applications, or heavy-duty use (such as towing, etc.). Replaces almost any cut gasket by making reliable “formed-in-place” gaskets that resist cracking, shrinking and migrating caused by thermal cycling. Coats pre-cut gaskets to increase reliability. Temperature range -65ºF to 650ºF (-54°C to 343°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids.

I'm surprised that 650 Degrees F is enough. It gets really hot in there.

Martin
11-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Same thing that I used in mine - when I pulled sills off to do a Corsa install, the insulation was completely detached from the sills. That was when the car only had about 1000 miles on it, too. Whatever adhesive they used wasn't all that effective from the factory...

slysnake
11-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Really don't need to glue it.

Garron
11-30-2013, 06:35 AM
Really don't need to glue it.

If the heat sheild moves to far back in the sill the black "gill like insert" directly in front of the door can melt.

Viper Pit
11-30-2013, 09:00 AM
If not glued how do you stop the rattling of buzzing sound

slysnake
11-30-2013, 07:39 PM
I've taken my sills on and off several times in the last 6 years and never used glue and never had any problems. They fit pretty tight against the insulation. Just need to have someone help you place it correctly, then it never moves.

Viper Pit
11-30-2013, 11:57 PM
Used the high temp RTV adhesive /gasket maker. No more rattling or buzzing!
Thanks!