PDA

View Full Version : Spacers on stock wheels

Vprbite
05-15-2015, 02:33 AM
I saw a photo on here recently of someone who had custom wheels done but before that he had spacers on his 10 spokes and it looked mean. Really mean. I was wondering how much if an issue are spacers with the stock wheels? People say not to track with them at all, but then I hear stories of people doing it all the time. Is it just a wear and tear, caution thing? I would still be apt to take them off for the track if it's a concern but is it really necessary? What about for day to day driving? Spirited runs down some of our fun roads around town, do they just put a little more wear in the components?

No problems with our standard lugs?

I don't have a lot of experience with spacers (never run them myself and definitely not on a car like this.) I have known people in the tuner community who use them but that's a completely different issue.

Your help is appreciated.

outnumbered
05-15-2015, 05:02 AM
It depends on the thickness of the spacers. I have what I believe to be the max from Jon B, which are 3/8". At that thickness, he recommended long neck lugs. I haven't had any issues; albeit, I only have around 2000 miles on them. So I don't know if enough time has elapsed for any problems to develop. I haven't noticed any erratic driving issues, or unusual wear on the tires.

FrgMstr
05-15-2015, 09:47 AM
I have 5/16" on the rears of my car to push out a bit to match up better with the Sidewinder II wheels up front. Long neck lug nuts. Never had any issues at all.

ViperPete
07-07-2015, 11:16 AM
So longer studs aren't required for wheel spacers on Vipers? There are that many threads still left over?

J TNT
07-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Ipsco has a good selection and are Hub centric. They go up to .450" , at that point long studs are recommended.

VIPEREPIV
07-07-2015, 03:16 PM
I have the Ipsco, but they are only hub centric to the hubs, not the wheels. However, when torqued to proper specs in the star pattern, the 60 degree lugs should seat perfectly in the 60 degree seats. All this being said, this is a Viper, and I just wanted that added state of mind security of perfection. So I had a place in Nevada make me some custom 10mm spacers that are both hub centric to the hub and wheel. (71.5 to 71.5)

I also added long wheel studs to go with open ended lug nuts.

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr55/dave7zombie/fri%20viper%203_zpse4mwnwil.jpg

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr55/dave7zombie/lugs%20powder%20coated%20open%20ended_zpss22jaacs. jpg

Vprbite
07-08-2015, 12:08 AM
Nice custom job there.

Thanks for the info, all. Since I will be buying them from Jon B I will get the long neck lug nuts from him too. Frg, if you are running 5/16 ok then that makes me feel safe about running them around town. Though I will probably remove them for track days.

FrgMstr
07-08-2015, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the info, all. Since I will be buying them from Jon B I will get the long neck lug nuts from him too. Frg, if you are running 5/16 ok then that makes me feel safe about running them around town. Though I will probably remove them for track days.

Hub-centric with the long neck lugs and you will be A-OK. I even ran mine at CoTA. If I was heavily tracking the car I would have knocked those off, but even a few times a year I do not think is a big deal. Just take care when you put the long neck lugs on as those can chew into the wheel some if you grab a few threads and then hit those with the impact gun. Thread the long neck lugs in till the neck clears the mating surface of the wheel. You will have to move the wheel around a bit by hand to get the neck into the opening easily. Once you have two of those in opposite of each other, the rest go in fine.

Vprbite
07-08-2015, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I won't be using an impact gun but will still take extra care that everything is going on correctly.

outnumbered
12-14-2016, 10:10 AM
I have the Ipsco, but they are only hub centric to the hubs, not the wheels. However, when torqued to proper specs in the star pattern, the 60 degree lugs should seat perfectly in the 60 degree seats. All this being said, this is a Viper, and I just wanted that added state of mind security of perfection. So I had a place in Nevada make me some custom 10mm spacers that are both hub centric to the hub and wheel. (71.5 to 71.5)

I also added long wheel studs to go with open ended lug nuts.

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr55/dave7zombie/fri%20viper%203_zpse4mwnwil.jpg

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr55/dave7zombie/lugs%20powder%20coated%20open%20ended_zpss22jaacs. jpg

Where did you get your extended wheel studs and open end lug nuts?

Redx
12-14-2016, 11:21 PM
Looks like monster lugs.