PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak Crash

City
05-13-2015, 12:07 PM
The fatality count is now up to 7! What a horrendous and tragic juxtaposition of thought; relaxing on a train ... only to loose one's life! This simply should never happen.

Just noticed this:

https://twitter.com/BruceLeshan/status/598528186377510912/photo/1

City
05-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Latest news was that the train was traveling over 100 MPH in a 50 MPH zone.

Sorry if I'm obsessing here.

thetalonguy
05-13-2015, 01:57 PM
That's really terrible. You get on the train and think you're safe. I can't tell you how many trips I've taken from Penn to Union Station on Amtrak from during my previous job...

Maybe someone fell asleep to be doing twice the limit like that...I hope that count doesn't go up any more. Condolences

City
05-13-2015, 04:40 PM
NTSB board member Robert Sumwalt providing new details on Amtrak crash:

Train left DC at 9:10 p.m. One locomotive and seven passenger cars.

9:21 p.m. the entire train derailed. Moments before the derailment, the engineer applied full emergency brakes.

Train was traveling 106 mph when engineer hit the brakes. It slowed to 102 mph but derailed within seconds. "You are supposed to enter the curve at 50 miles per hour," Sumwalt says.

"Our mission is not only determine what happened, but to prevent it from happening again," Sumwalt says.

Sumwalt says he feels like the preliminary information about the train's speed is "robust."

"Have we talked to the engineer? The answer to that is no, but we plan to," Sumwalt says.

Investigators haven't determined for how long the train had been speeding.

They have yet to talk to the engineer??? 7 lost lives and he's mum?

Has he lawyered up? If it was a mechanical failure, you'd think he be the first to note it.