PDA

View Full Version : Possible bad ground

FlashFyre
05-13-2015, 10:37 AM
This problem could be related to the issue last fall: http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/5601-Need-help-!!!

I ended up killing the battery over the winter as my trickle charger got snafu. Replaced the battery on Monday evening. Took it out for a short drive with a couple of stops. No issue.

Went to drive it this morning and noticed the LED alarm light wasn't flashing. Car was dead. Took out battery and got it tested and its 100% fine. I'm measuring 12.8V from the remote positive battery terminal to ground. When wiggling the remote positive battery terminal I temporarily got power back. I hadmessed around with the terminal when trying to start it back in the fall. Any chance I did something to it and if so, how could I repair it?

Thanks.

Steve-Indy
05-13-2015, 12:14 PM
Good chance terminal is damaged...may be an expensive fix...suggest that you discuss this with Chuck Tator.

FlashFyre
05-13-2015, 12:34 PM
Good chance terminal is damaged...may be an expensive fix...suggest that you discuss this with Chuck Tator.

Aww crap. Thanks. How are expensive we talking?

I moved it 1/16 of a turn and it seems to be making good contact. I wiggled the crap out of it and power has remained.

The bolt was never turned more than 1/16.

FlashFyre
05-14-2015, 10:51 PM
Update: Power had remained on for a couple of days with a few short drives. I thought all was well. Out for a drive and went over a small bump and I lost all power. Came to a stop and was able to restart and head home.

Anyone have a part number for the harness that is attached to the remote positive terminal? I think I am going to attempt to fix it via soldering. Anyone have any experience repairing or taking the PDC apart?

The Stig
05-15-2015, 06:31 AM
get a manual.... trace some wires using a meter... they don't lie...

OnceBitten
05-15-2015, 09:07 AM
I had a similar issue with mine. Just wasn't making good contact anymore and I couldn't get nut to come off the top to fix it. I ended up disconnecting all the cables that ran to the PDC and unbolted it from the car. you can get to that positive post from the underside once you get the bottom cover off. That's why did. I took it all apart cleaned/repaired all the connections, and cleaned the treads of the battery post itself. Reinstalled everything and haven't had a problem since.

FlashFyre
05-15-2015, 09:13 AM
I had a similar issue with mine. Just wasn't making good contact anymore and I couldn't get nut to come off the top to fix it. I ended up disconnecting all the cables that ran to the PDC and unbolted it from the car. you can get to that positive post from the underside once you get the bottom cover off. That's why did. I took it all apart cleaned/repaired all the connections, and cleaned the treads of the battery post itself. Reinstalled everything and haven't had a problem since.

Awesome. Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. If you have an advice or pics of disassembly it would be much appreciated.

OnceBitten
05-15-2015, 09:43 AM
Unfortunately I did not take any pictures. Its pretty straight forward though. I didn't need the manual to figure it out so you should find it pretty easy. It will fight you a little bit with the wire bundle coming out f the bottom. Its been sitting there happily for many years and isn't very flexible anymore but you will have enough room to work on it.

FlashFyre
05-17-2015, 04:58 PM
Took everything apart. Was able to see the stud from underneath. I got a 15mm socket on a tightened it a bit from underneath. Any chance that was my issue or is there more damage?

Steve-Indy
05-17-2015, 05:32 PM
Hopefully you have fixed it.

FlashFyre
05-17-2015, 06:11 PM
It was less than finger tight. How could I take it apart to further inspect? There is a mess of wires running underneath for the fuses.

Steve-Indy
05-17-2015, 06:28 PM
If feasible, take a look at the back side connections...96,97 Vipers have been known to suffer corrosion and connector separation on the back side of the relay sockets...especially within the separate square relay box immediately in front of the longer fuse/relay box. The square box used 3 of the 4 sockets on early Gen II's...as I recall...2 fan relays, on for starter. A couple of guys had to rewire the spare socket to accept one of the relays whose socket connectors corroded away. Best of luck...a few test drives should clarify fix or failure.

FlashFyre
05-17-2015, 07:56 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/drd1jo.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/jrup93.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/2lkrzx1.jpg

FlashFyre
05-18-2015, 03:03 PM
I ended up taking off that nut. The metal plate underneath looked fine. No scorching,arcing or cracks. Put it all back together and took it out for a spin. Fingers crossed.