PDA

View Full Version : Paint on ACR rims (2008-2010)

Garron
11-29-2013, 07:27 AM
Who originally painted the 2008-2010 ACR sidewinder rims?

What are you guys doing when the paint gets all chipped up? I have had two rims painted the color is dead on, But the paint is not even close to being durable as OEM.

VPRPWRD
11-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Did you ever think of powdercoating them? A good powdercoater should be able to get the color right and it will be much more durable than paint.

2010.Blue.White.ACR
11-29-2013, 08:01 AM
I had a set stripped and powder coated. The finish product was not as nice as the oem finish. The powder coater told me he had trouble stripping them because the oem was and epoxy paint and was extremely hard. Not sure if that's true but anyway I ended up selling them and buying new ones from mopar.

Garron
11-29-2013, 08:29 AM
I had a set stripped and powder coated. The finish product was not as nice as the oem finish. The powder coater told me he had trouble stripping them because the oem was and epoxy paint and was extremely hard. Not sure if that's true but anyway I ended up selling them and buying new ones from mopar.

I heard if something happens to powder coat it is not an easy fix. I wonder if prefix did the orginal rim paint.

Getnlwr
12-04-2013, 01:10 AM
You CAN fix powder coating, It's just a pain in the ass to do it.

City
12-04-2013, 09:36 AM
Never had any issue with mine. Not certain why.

Bill Pemberton
12-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Highly unlikely Prefix had anything to do with the painting of any rims. They are done by the wheel manufacturers and it is often tough to get the formula for the proprietary clear coat on the
polished wheels ,as well as the paint for the rims. Track use does tend to mar the finish, but I would check with some of the companies in your area that do rim repair and refinishing. Some may
be quite adept and redoing the paint for you. Best of luck.

The_Greg
12-04-2013, 10:41 AM
I've done powdercoating as an amateur hobby for a short time. Its strong, but if you have the right chemicals it will come off pretty easily. Powdercoat repair, to me, means strip and re-apply the entire wheel. Unsure if they can repair just a patch. I would go powdercoat over paint every time on wheels, and I have experience with painting as well.