PDA

View Full Version : Dodge says I need new front wheel bearings. Anybody done these? GEN 3 SRT-10

Oberyn
05-11-2015, 04:23 PM
Hey all,

I had my 03 SRT-10 in for some recall work last week and the tech came back saying I should replace my upper left front control arm and front wheel bearing's. He also came back with parts and labor cost prompting me to quickly say NO THANKS, I'll do my own research.

So, here I am searching the forums. I am finding info on the rear wheel bearings but nothing on the fronts. I found some MOOGS on RockAuto (link here (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=256250&cc=1410556&jnid=987&jpid=4)) and the price is not anywhere near as high as what Dodge wanted to get for OEM.

First off, has anyone gotten these? Are MOOG products worthwhile replacements? Secondly, I am pretty handy but, I have never done anything quite this extensive. Has anyone on here done this? What does it take? I don't mind buying the tools or getting my hands dirty. I just cant bear paying through the rear for something I am more than likely perfectly capable of doing on my own.

And finally, how can I tell if these things truly need to be replaced?

I appreciate any help. And I apologize if I missed a post about this. I promise I searched.

99RT10
05-11-2015, 04:45 PM
I want to say that the front bearing are the same from 1992-2010. Call Mark J. at Woodhouse Dodge to be sure. Very easy to replace, Put the tires in the air to see if there is any play left to right and up/down. Did the tech say what he saw to come to that conclusion? I am betting he was trying to gouge you a bit

AZTVR
05-11-2015, 06:18 PM
I found some MOOGS on RockAuto (link here (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=256250&cc=1410556&jnid=987&jpid=4)) and the price is not anywhere near as high as what Dodge wanted to get for OEM.
First off, has anyone gotten these? Are MOOG products worthwhile replacements?

I have not done the job on a Viper; but have replaced wheel bearings on a GMC and Honda recently. When I removed the OE ones and inspected, I saw that both of them contained Timken bearings as the OEM provider. That is a well known manufacturer; so, I went with their branded product directly, rather than the dealer part. Sourced them from Rock Auto or Autozone.

AZTVR
05-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Also, I think that the difference in price of the aftermarket vs Dodge part MIGHT be that the Dodge part comes with the Center clamp bolt and nut correctly installed. (This bolt is what would be part of the axle in a FWD or RWD application.) I have read that the aftermarket part does not come with this bolt/shaft and nut but the Dodge part does. The manual says that this bolt and nut is not serviceable and no attempt should be made to remove it. The forum posts note that you can not remove the nut, which is peened in place without damaging the threads of the nut and then , I guess also the shaft.

Go, I do not know what people do who buy the aftermarket assembly. Sorry, I can not be specific. Just giving you things to verify. PM sent.

Oberyn
05-12-2015, 08:50 AM
I want to say that the front bearing are the same from 1992-2010. Call Mark J. at Woodhouse Dodge to be sure. Very easy to replace, Put the tires in the air to see if there is any play left to right and up/down. Did the tech say what he saw to come to that conclusion? I am betting he was trying to gouge you a bit

Tech didn't say why, just that he recommended that. I took the car home and got the front tires off the ground. I wasn't able to see any movement up down or otherwise. They seem to rotate pretty freely, a very faint metallic kind of sound but nothing disconcerting. I just don't know.

Also, I think that the difference in price of the aftermarket vs Dodge part MIGHT be that the Dodge part comes with the Center clamp bolt and nut correctly installed. (This bolt is what would be part of the axle in a FWD or RWD application.) I have read that the aftermarket part does not come with this bolt/shaft and nut but the Dodge part does. The manual says that this bolt and nut is not serviceable and no attempt should be made to remove it. The forum posts note that you can not remove the nut, which is peened in place without damaging the threads of the nut and then , I guess also the shaft.

Go, I do not know what people do who buy the aftermarket assembly. Sorry, I can not be specific. Just giving you things to verify. PM sent.

I appreciate the info. I need to find someone in Wisconsin or Illinois who really knows these cars and can give me a better rundown on what I have going on.

ViperPete
05-12-2015, 12:41 PM
I have never had any problems with MOOG parts on my Ram SRT10, my Lincoln Mark IV, or my Avenger.

I had the front wheel bearings go out on my Ram SRT10. Not the same as a Viper obviously, but an easy swap. Just swapped out the hub assembly.

Worst case scenario the bearings have to be pressed out and then new ones pressed in. Not a big deal. If you do it yourself, throw the new bearings in the freezer for a few hours before you remove the old ones. Then, the new ones will pretty much "fall" right into the hub. Easy.

MOOG products have a lifetime warranty too. Save your receipt. MOOG will replace the part over and over again for free.

steve911
05-13-2015, 04:37 PM
You have a superb resource in your back yard! Snakeoyl Products/ViperpartsUSA is just north of Madison. Great folks to deal with and they stock most everything for the Viper.

I just west of you in Cottage Grove with 11 years of Viper experience both on and off the track. It will be pretty easy to diagnose what you have going on in your car.

PM me for contact info.