PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Viper..... Help needed!

Adamski
05-11-2015, 06:08 AM
Hi Guys/Gals

Im new to this forum and hence this being my very first post!

Looking at buying a Viper as i have idolised this car since i was a kid, I thought intially i might go for a RT-10 but recently I'm swaying towards the GTS.
I know they pop up from time to time, some in greta condition but with unrealistic prices, others affordable but requiring some/a lot of work which I'm not sure i want to take on being the first one i buy!

Ideally i was looking around a 2001/2 GTS, although could be swayed to look further a field.

I noticed very recently one has popped up on piston heads....

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/dodge/srt-10-gts-rt10/dodge-viper-asc-gts/1191727

Its a tad more than i was prepared to pay but I'm after some opinions on whether this car is a good buy, price realistic and any other input my fellow Viper enthusiasts might have.
The car looks like its been well looked after but its about 4/5hrs from me so quite a way to go just for a "look".
It has an extensive list of modifications too.

By the time i come round to buying , knowing my luck this car will have sold! Any tips on what to look for, price brackets, things like that are all valuable info to me.

Any help is kindly appreciated

Cheers

Ad

bozz
05-11-2015, 07:54 AM
I'm in the same position as yourself but I thought that car was expensive...... I'm prepared to be shot down by the 'the members in the know'.....!
I've been looking for a year and next week I'm going to check out a car in Europe. Try the 'auto scout 24' app.
Good luck.

Adamski
05-11-2015, 08:19 AM
Thanks Bozz
Yeah i thought it was a touch on the pricey side as i know mods don't hold massive value but as you say those with a lot more know and experience on this will help shed some light!
Good luck with the one your going to check out, hope to see some pics if you buy it! :-)
Will check that app out too

atb

Fatboy 18
05-12-2015, 05:37 PM
That Viper is the Dealers Personal car, it was modded at great expense. The car belongs to the Dealer so a 'Deal' can always be done.

Viper Baz UK did a lot, if not all the engine work (I think). Its a stunning car, not cheap, but a stunning car.
there are a few Vipers out there, some need more work than others, it also depends on Exactly what you are after?

Do you want something in showroom condition with low mileage and stock?

Or do you plan to mod the car to your own spec?
What colour are you looking for, what year, all this comes into play.
What Generation Viper do you want, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5?
Hard top or Vert?

Gen II GTS prices have gone up in the USA and the Pound has fallen horribly against the US Dollar over the last few years, it makes a BIG difference when you exchange large sums of money :(

Fatboy 18
05-12-2015, 05:44 PM
Some more here :)
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list/50/viper/

I also know of some others not listed. But you have not specified exactly what you are after.

Adamski
05-13-2015, 03:48 AM
Yeah it says on the listing its the directors own car so i presume its been very well looked after in pretty immaculate condition.
Im just unsure whether I'm biting off more than i can chew in looking at such a heavily modded Viper or whether to stick to something more stock, hence asking the advice of fellow owners to see what difference peoples take are. Insurance prem on a stock viper is pretty decent as i have found compared with others when searching the forums. Im not sure so i want to try find out or can justify to my wife paying a good 3/4/5 times that price each year for this one.

Im sure looking back before you bought your first Viper you had a lot of question marks over all these bits too and wanted to be sure in your own mind before handing over the cash for the right model for you.
I have sent Viper_Baz a message, i wasn't aware he was involved in the work so be good to see his take on the sale etc.

Im not bothered about one with low mileage, more so that when i buy it I'm not gonna have to shell out a load more straight away on work that needs doing. Id like to get my feet under the table first and enjoy the car for a bit before tinkering with it or having work done.

I hadn't really looked at Black before seeing this car, always been taken by either the Blue or Red with white stripes. Im looking at a Gen II, if i could get close to the end of line so 2001/2 ish then all the better. Hard top too would be choice. I know some of the Final editions pop up from time to time, think there is one for sale at the mo for£5k less than this black one but with the amount of work done on the black gts it seems better value to me?
I would prob avoid looking abroad at this stage and just keep my eyes peeled on ones already in the UK. I know i am narrowing the field and limiting my options but just something i would be more comfortable with being the first Viper, and to keep the wife happy!
I travel quite a bit with work and usually go to LA once or twice a month so i did toy with the idea of looking for ones over there and having it imported but as you say the £/$ rate has really took a blow over the last year, hence forgetting that idea pretty fast!

appreciate your reply and comments

Ad

Fatboy 18
05-13-2015, 03:37 PM
Have you seen this one?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STUNNING-DODGE-VIPER-GTS-COUPE-8-0L-V10-1997-EXCEPTIONAL-EXAMPLE-44K-MILES-/261783731621?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Ar6omLH%252FEX%252Fg29bwaCwWoIotj%252FQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Not sure if its still available? But there is a telephone number attached.

I also know of a Yellow RT/10 that could be for sale in Central London, another FE GTS Red White stripes not far from Guildford Surrey and a Blue White stripe GTS in Surrey.

There are things to help you when purchasing one of these cars. Some cars may have History!!! so be careful.

www.carfax.com will tell you the cars recorded history before it reached the UK. HPI Check is useless for these cars as many of the cars are registered as Dodge with no mention of model of car!

This website is good to get an Idea of how to find and read a cars Vin number
http://www.theviperregistry.org/vin.php
also there should be a build sticker on the drivers door, if there is not be very cautious
http://www.theviperregistry.org/mdh.php

Being as there are so few Vipers in the UK, we tend to know of many of them. Gen II production stopped in 2002, so the cars are now becoming classics, these are not really daily drive cars and a Battery tender like a CTEK or Optimate is a must on these cars when storing the car. Not the sort of car to leave unattended in the street either.

Parts for these are available and reasonably priced, tech info on the forums is Second to None.

Biggest expense is Tyres and Oil (8 or 10 ltr Oil pan)

You will also need to buy sunglasses to shield your eyes from all the people taking flash pictures of your new ride.
Happy to help if you find something you like.

Adamski
05-20-2015, 03:50 AM
Thanks for the info, yeah I've had a look a look online at those available, also saw that yellow RT/10 as the guy put a post on piston heads, looks a nice car indeed! Had a watch of his vid going round the track too, was very impressed!

Meeting up with one of the guys later for a chat and look round his Viper, I'm sure after that my next stop will be the bank to withdraw cash ;-)

When it comes to parts, do guys tends to buy them from the US and have them shipped over? I travel to the US about 2-3 times a month with work and have a day or two to myself, thinking might be worth looking into picking bits up there and brining it back with me when it comes to it?

Narrowing my search down i think i might get one modded a bit, with the essentials that most the viper guys have done, brakes etc. What would you consider the essential mods you would have done on your viper or one your looking to buy?
As much as i like the look and list of mods of the matt black GTS for sale, i think its just a bit too extreme for me a this stage.

cheers