PDA

View Full Version : Miller Motorsports Park in Utah closing

EZ 2B Green
05-11-2015, 12:11 AM
According to Autoweek the track shuts down in October...

http://autoweek.com/article/sports-cars/miller-motorsports-park-shut-down-october?utm_source=RacingWeekend20150510&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=headline-center&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awracingweekend

Blue96GTS
05-11-2015, 02:12 AM
That sucks.

Not enough rednecks in Utah, or the evil creep of CARB?

Support your local track(s) and clubs!

RedTanRT/10
05-11-2015, 08:47 AM
Larry Miller built that track and was quoted many times saying it was a "money loser" but he didn't care and looked at it as a gift back to the auto enthusiast community.

Larry died in 2009 and I guess his family doesn't share the vision and support the financial losses.

Too bad, great track and Larry was a great man!

Back In Black
05-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Wow, really hate to see that. Great memories from VOI 11 there.

RPM9000
05-11-2015, 03:05 PM
I hate to see any track shutdown. We are losing one here in Texas, Texas World Speedway will close in June to make way for a housing addition. :( It sucks

Coloviper
05-11-2015, 06:17 PM
Someone will pick it up and run with it afterwards. They have had big plans for major tracks proposed here in Colorado but nothing gets put into action. The major one at Fountain, CO was sold off bit by bit for additional housing. It was in the middle of nowhere.

Still disappointing but at least there are some smaller tracks in great shape. Our High Plains Raceway is a really great track and fun on drop in days. Just a ways out of town in Byers. If one of these big proposals goes, they Denver will have a major outing.

I liked MMR and will miss it in it's present ownership. Truthfully, it is the only "track" I have ever raced MY CAR on. The rest have been cone adventures.

Detlef
05-11-2015, 06:48 PM
A loss for sure. I was such a great complex. Enjoyed participating at VOI there.

schulmann
05-11-2015, 08:05 PM
Huge complexe built in the middle of the desert.
I have great memories of this place !

MBG2.0
05-12-2015, 09:01 AM
Larry Miller built that track and was quoted many times saying it was a "money loser" but he didn't care and looked at it as a gift back to the auto enthusiast community.

Larry died in 2009 and I guess his family doesn't share the vision and support the financial losses.

Too bad, great track and Larry was a great man!
Agreed...
As a side note, Larry Miller also had a son who supported the track and who was a big supporter or road racing as a whole, I think he even had some sort of regional position a NASA..he also passed away a couple of years ago.

A shame

Dusty1
05-12-2015, 10:54 AM
Hopefully someone will pick it up and come up with a better plan so as to not lose millions every year.

Richard

MBG2.0
05-12-2015, 02:44 PM
Hopefully someone will pick it up and come up with a better plan so as to not lose millions every year.

Richard

Yea...only problem is that its pretty far away for many people.
I don't think they also have a lot of local clubs racing there very often :( or other events that help with the bottom line
Great track though

Darius
06-01-2015, 10:20 PM
That's insane that it's closing. They spent a shitload of money building that place. I remember hearing those jumbotrons were like 5 mill a piece.

ACR08
08-02-2015, 06:05 PM
So the rumor at the track is its going to be running in 2016. Ford Racing School, NASA, and some of the small businesses that run track days were all pushing for an answer so they could plan for the future. That being said I'm not sure who is going to take control of the track. The county is currently reviewing proposals by different organizations. I just hope it remains a place the public has easy and affordable access to. Otherwise, I might have to move.

Here is a link to an article with some more info: http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...orsports-park/

I know there area lot of car enthusiasts in Utah. We just need to figure out how to get them to the track. I'm pretty sure there are some amazing machines hiding up in Park City and Deer Valley. A lot of people with money to spare from out of state owns homes up there. We just need to get them to come in the summer and see how much fun the track can be.

The new NSX was out there testing the other day.

ACR08
08-19-2015, 12:29 PM
So the rumor is a Chinese company is going to buy the raceway. A news report on local TV said they plan to open a manufacturing facility for cars. Maybe even race cars and keep the track open to the public.

I found this news article on the web. It doesn't make the future sound so bright for the local racers.

https://kutv.com/news/local/sources-chinese-company-to-buy-miller-motorsports-park

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

ACR08
08-19-2015, 04:08 PM
My new thread with info about the future of the raceway.

http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/10173-Miller-Motorsports-Park-to-become-Utah-Motorsports-Campus?p=158923#post158923