PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Events

Asp Man
11-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Never too early to start thinking about events for the next season, right?

If anyone in the region has an idea for an event, a new location or re-visit to a favorite event venue from years past, I'd like to hear from you here. If you've got the inclination to plan something yourself, I fully encourage that!

Jasper six years ago was well attended by AB and BC members. A great location, roads, etc.
Revelstoke, same thing. Would be great if the rally up to the dam could be repeated.
Harrison Hot Springs. Easy access for the lower main land folks.
Vancouver Island. Always fantastic, though hard for MB, SK and even AB folk to attend.
Saskatoon? Bella Coola? Taber?
Just throw some ideas out there. Big or small, let's hear them all!

All Blue ACR
11-28-2013, 07:45 PM
After last year, I'm up for some drives....

Mamba #90
11-30-2013, 12:39 PM
I like the idea of a Jasper event. The BC Corvette Club did a car show in Sun Peaks, then hosted a autocross in Kamloops. My Son in law attended and had a blast. Maybe we could do something similar.....I'd be willing to help coordinate something like that if we get some interest to do an event like this.

Sharky
12-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Had posted a thread on previous club sight about an event in northern Sask this coming summer. Some beautiful lakes, golf courses and overall scenery as well. Would welcome the opportunity to attend an event or two in Alberta and BC but also work together with some fellow flat landers to put together a great Sask event.

All Blue ACR
12-04-2013, 06:21 PM
MMMMMM Waskesiu....

Turk
12-05-2013, 06:50 PM
I like the idea of a Jasper event

Asp Man
12-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Some good ideas, lets keep it up, any ideas welcome!
Waskesiu, I kinda like that one! Do snakes eat mosquitos?
Jasper is a great location, timing is key, gotta be during July or August or it's a real gamble on the weather.
Kanasakis is another great driving area and there has been an event in the past.
I'd like to do something in the lower mainland, it's difficult with all the traffic though...

n49
12-21-2013, 02:46 PM
A repeat of the Revelstoke event (minus the RCMP waiting for us at the bottom of our "Hill Climb"). Great location, hotel suits the needs, the run out to the damn is ...FAST!

ADRNLN
12-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Asps in Jasper 2.0 sounds great !

Revolution
01-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Def in for a Jasper cruise and lots of local meets and events :)

Three Strikes
01-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Hmmm ...while out driving in the Viper yesterday and hearing about the wonderful temps back home
I was thinking what a great place to do a cruise here in 2014 so many places to see. There were three
of us out yesterday sunny and low 70s. Soooo hard to take.

Rizzo
01-07-2014, 10:02 AM
I have to bring my car home from Victoria Island sometime. I'm trying to decide if I should wait and drive it home or just have it picked up in an enclosed trailer and brought back. I'm not sure how long it will take for the roads to be free of all the gravel and sand they dump on the BC highways all winter. I don't want to drive it through that crap and get the car all sandblasted but I don't want to have to wait until June for the roads to be clear either..LOL.. If I end up driving it back Ill see who's available in BC and AB and maybe meet up for a few cruises with some of you before I head home. Cant wait to get it back but with the snow and the cold we've had again this year in Sask the car is better off staying warm on the island. haha

Redx
01-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Im game for a jasper event!

Sharky
01-12-2014, 06:59 PM
I would there as well.

Asp Man
01-15-2014, 05:29 PM
It's begining to sounds like there's support for an event there this year. This is a start.
I will look into accomodation, the place we stayed at in '07 was OK, the location just outside of town was pretty nice, but the rooms were showing some age and there was no A/C.
If anyone has stayed in the area in recent years and has a suggestion, now's the time to pipe up.

Vippy 4
01-15-2014, 09:27 PM
I guess I am a creature of habit;

My favourite Viper Weekends are:

May long weekend in the Okanagan attending the Peachland World of Wheels, annual Snake Pit, and cruising the wine country; this year potential for a track event, autoX in Vernon.

The trip to lake Chelan in Washington State; they want us back; cruise the local area enjoy the trip there and back, June or July.

Vancouver Island in August; this year maybe a trip to the north Island take in some whale watching while in the area or cruise back to Long Beach area back to the Black Rock resort and Spa.

The Queen City Cruise in Nelson; typically second weekend in September; great car show, great town and the weather is typically sunny and warm.

With some feed back I would be happy to start work on the details.

Currently in Phoenix enjoying 75 degree days; attending the BJ and Russo Steel events this weekend.

Cheers,

Jim

Turk
01-16-2014, 02:26 PM
I had a lot of fun in Nelson last time, and would definitely go back.

Revolution
01-16-2014, 03:40 PM
I had a lot of fun in Nelson last time, and would definitely go back.

I would really like to make it this year too!

Vippy 4
01-25-2014, 09:12 AM
Good Morning from the Sun State;

Still enjoying our winter retreat. Had a visit from some of the members the other day, and we tabled the concept of returning to Coeur D'Alene Idaho this year, possibly late June or early July depending on availability at the resort and spa.

Such a beautiful area and the routes to the resort are very interesting and Viper friendly.

What are your thoughts?

Jim

Chorps
01-25-2014, 01:16 PM
Depends on when, I will be doing a fair bit of travelling this summer, but I am interested depending on how long this excursion is. :D

n49
01-25-2014, 03:01 PM
May be time for a track event...not sure which track is available. Anyone have any connections?

Viktimize
01-28-2014, 05:51 AM
Speaking of track event. I found out that I should be able to get a $1000 kick in from my work for volunteering 40 hours with an organization. So I was going to try and apply for that and see about booking a track day at the Castrol race track here in Edmonton. At this point I have no idea what it costs for track rental or anything? I want to start looking into it, but I have been waiting to see some sort of tentative event schedule for this year so I can see what weekend will not conflict with other events or with my work schedule.

As for events, I don't care what the event is I am going to every one possible this summer. Was hoping I would be showing up in a new Gen5, but it looks like I am sticking with the 2006 for this year. But most likely adding another SRT8 to the garage after missing my last one so much for 3 years now.

n49
02-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Speaking of track event. I found out that I should be able to get a $1000 kick in from my work for volunteering 40 hours with an organization. So I was going to try and apply for that and see about booking a track day at the Castrol race track here in Edmonton. At this point I have no idea what it costs for track rental or anything? I want to start looking into it, but I have been waiting to see some sort of tentative event schedule for this year so I can see what weekend will not conflict with other events or with my work schedule.

As for events, I don't care what the event is I am going to every one possible this summer. Was hoping I would be showing up in a new Gen5, but it looks like I am sticking with the 2006 for this year. But most likely adding another SRT8 to the garage after missing my last one so much for 3 years now.

Why not follow it up and see which dates are available for track rental? I don't believe any event dates are set in stone, yet!

Viktimize
02-05-2014, 09:38 PM
I have an email in to the person looking after it. Hopefully have some dates and prices available soon.

Viktimize
02-06-2014, 08:31 PM
Here is the email and reply I received from Castrol. Looks like weekends are already booked for the whole summer. Possibility for weekday rental, but I doubt that will work for an event since a lot of members would be coming from out of town and only travelling on weekends. I did inquire if Sundays are a possibility, or even a Monday of a long weekend. Will wait and see what reply I get, but I am guessing this won't pan out for this season.

From: Kimberly Reeves [mailto:kimberly@castrolraceway.com]
Sent: February-06-14 6:15 AM
To: Agopsowicz, Victor SCAN-DMW/5521
Subject: RE: Road Course rental inquiry

Good Morning Victor,

First let me say- YES we are up and running the full 2.7km track as of this past August; it been running exceptionally well. Thank you so much for the interest in our facility.

Unfortunately, as of now I no longer have any weekend dates available- Thursday, Friday, Saturdays are Sold Out for the season. On a brighter note my mid week dates are more flexible; would the Viper Club be interested in exploring mid week day or evenings?

I would be happy to discuss a few alternate possibilities with you. As I really don’t want to turn anyone away. We are thrilled to have our new venue and really want to ensure we can share it with as many people as possible.

Feel free to contact e anytime to discuss further.

Cheers,
Kimberly Reeves, Owner
Castrol Raceway
kimberly@castrolraceway.com
www.CastrolRaceway.com

From: Victor.Agopsowicz@shell.com [mailto:Victor.Agopsowicz@shell.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 8:38 PM
To: kimberly@castrolraceway.com
Subject: Road Course rental inquiry

Hi Kimberly.

I am a member of the Viper Owners Association in Western Canada. I am interested to put together a track event for the club. From what I have read on other forums the track at Castrol is now operational. If that is correct would I be able to get a list of available weekends this summer that I can run by the club President? Would like to make sure we can get in on a weekend that does not conflict with other scheduled events.

Also, what sort of rough price range would we be looking at for this type of event? I would estimate somewhere between 10-20 cars showing up, with only 1 or 2 cars running on the track at once for any timed laps.

If there is any other information you need from me please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you,
Victor Agopsowicz

Turk
02-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Wow! that kinda sucks there already booked every weekend. Looks like the only way to get into Castrol on the weekend is if your racing with the "Track Junkies" group. My buddy raced with that group last year, and I think I might join them for a couple track events this year. It seems like Alberta keeps on losing tracks. 2 years ago Edmonton had 4 racing sites now we are down to just Castrol.

Viktimize
02-10-2014, 09:48 AM
Well on the plus side, if the track is booked solid for the year before February, that means it won't be going Dodo on us. And Stratotech would probaby still be around if some rich guy didn't buy it for his personal track.

Here is my latest reply I literally just got 5 minutes ago. Looks like this is a no go for this season unless any members can commit to a mid week thing? I will enquire about when bookings start for 2015.

Morning Victor,
Sundays are open on the RC Track, but they are all booked at this time; would you consider running on a Sunday evening? Holidays are quite picked over as well.

Is there a time we can chat on the phone to discuss the schedule in detail- much easier to go through the calendar.

Please feel free to give me a call on my cell.

Cheers,
Kimberly Reeves, Owner
Castrol Raceway
kimberly@castrolraceway.com
www.CastrolRaceway.com

From: Victor.Agopsowicz@shell.com [mailto:Victor.Agopsowicz@shell.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2014 7:25 PM
To: kimberly@castrolraceway.com
Subject: RE: Road Course rental inquiry

Thanks for the quick reply.

That’s a bit of a let down to hear about everything being booked up. But on a positive note that sounds promising that this road course will remain available in the future.

I am assuming Sundays are closed? Or is there an option for a Monday rental on a holiday weekend? A mid week event could be very difficult to organize as many members will be travelling from other provinces for what will most likely be a full weekend of activities. I will run the info you gave me by the group and see if any other ideas emerge.

Thanks,
Victor Agopsowicz

Hiss Highness
02-11-2014, 07:57 PM
How about a pilgrimage to see jonb?

n49
02-16-2014, 07:17 PM
How about a pilgrimage to see jonb?

I like this idea....a trip to see jon, some new parts for the car....

Racerjim
03-16-2014, 10:39 AM
What about joining up with another club that already has a date booked? More cars makes it cheaper for everyone.
I'd love to get out to the track this summer.

n49
03-16-2014, 12:25 PM
What about joining up with another club that already has a date booked? More cars makes it cheaper for everyone.
I'd love to get out to the track this summer.

I think the best way is to join the Performance Drivers Club. I have been out several times with them and only costs about 200 bucks for a day at the track (plus fuel etc etc etc!) Check them out at www.performancedriversclub.org
Lots of great instructors and nice cars!

Viktimize
03-16-2014, 03:43 PM
I'm sure we could plan for a few of us to show up to a track junkies meet or whatever on the same day. Just would've been nice to make it an official VOA event.

Revolution
03-16-2014, 03:48 PM
All take a day off and book during the week works for me!

n49
03-19-2014, 10:40 AM
From what I understand it is cost prohibitive for just our club to rent out a track. We did several years ago but it seems now that the costs have skyrocketed. As you mentioned, Viktomize, those interested could meet up at a track...as I mentioned the Performance Drivers Club is run really well and very inexpensive. In the past many of our Viper members would meet up at their track days and always have a great time. Just an idea!
Membership is free and their first event is on Easter Monday.... http://performancedriversclub.org/index.php/club/membership/

I am not trying to take anything away from our club in the way of events, rather I am just sharing an alternative way to get on the track!!

Turk
03-30-2014, 05:08 PM
just out of curiosity are there any updates for what events are being planned for this year? With all this snow still on the ground, I need something to look forward to.

Revolution
03-30-2014, 05:41 PM
I hear you Matt how many people would be willing to come out for a track rental in Edmonton?

Viktimize
03-31-2014, 01:53 PM
I got an email from Jim awhile ago now. Sounded like they had the ideas and were just trying to settle on which ones to go through with. So I imagine the schedule is just getting finalized, and hopefully we see something shortly.

Revolution
03-31-2014, 01:58 PM
Can you see if Jim can add me to the email list Victor!

Viktimize
03-31-2014, 04:46 PM
Can you see if Jim can add me to the email list Victor!

All paid memebers should be on the list. If you're all signed up I can ask him to make sure your membership showed up in his files.

Turk
03-31-2014, 05:43 PM
I got an email from Jim awhile ago now. Sounded like they had the ideas and were just trying to settle on which ones to go through with. So I imagine the schedule is just getting finalized, and hopefully we see something shortly.

When did you get that email? cause I can't seem to find it.

n49
03-31-2014, 10:35 PM
A track day in Edmonton is a great idea! Not sure if I could make it but by all means you should plan it - when members pitch in and plan an event it really helps out the pres and his crew!

Turk
04-08-2014, 08:50 AM
The Queen City Cruise in Nelson; typically second weekend in September; great car show, great town and the weather is typically sunny and warm.

I was searching through some old videos last night, and noticed that I never did post this video from Nelson 2012.

http://youtu.be/YLPn_ru5rv8

This video was shot on my GoPro with just the internal microphone so the sound quality isn't the best.

Viktimize
04-09-2014, 09:35 AM
I was searching through some old videos last night, and noticed that I never did post this video from Nelson 2012.

http://youtu.be/YLPn_ru5rv8

This video was shot on my GoPro with just the internal microphone so the sound quality isn't the best.

I have a pile of media from the Cascade Loop trip last year that I need to get together and send off to Jim. Been so busy that it just sits on the back burner.

Vippy 4
04-11-2014, 12:45 AM
Hey guys;

I have been preoccupied of late; final touches and data input being added to the re-developed Western Canada Website; I look forward to all members sending in their photos and videos, we have a couple from Matt already; would like to include this latest work by Matt, great job thanks.

We are way behind this year; I can't wait any longer so I have sent the President's update to all tonight by email; let me know if you hear some past members did not receive the information.

Unfortunately we have yet to find any track time other than a possibility in Vernon, and that is limited to autoX; need some help in this regard.

First event is in Kelowna on the May long weekend, a repeat from prior years, details are included in the update.

I will post info on the forums once further details are confirmed.

Cheers,

Jim

RTTTTed
05-30-2014, 09:44 PM
I left the May event until the last second (wanted to go to www.SSCC.us but NO navigator) and all the rooms under $160 were booked. It rained most of the weekend so we stayed home (9 hr drive to Kelowna). The next weekend I met Joel at the Laker's Spring Round Up in Williams Lake. Over 200cars with Joel's TT GTS parked beside my RoeGTS. It was great. Busy this weekend, but next Friday night (June 6th) is Street drags at Prince George Drag Strip. The owner is one of the Chrysler Dealership guys and he owns a 1200hp SRT10.

I'm meeting Joel, Drew sent me an email and I'll be trying out my Roe GTS on street tires. Joel has wrinkle slicks on his. Since the drag strip is owned by a Viper/Dodge guy and a friend of Joel's I'll try and remember to ask about a rental. Trevor asked about renting the new track at Leduc and was told $10,000 or something else equally ridiculous.

RTTTTed
05-30-2014, 09:56 PM
Anyone looking to compete in a world class event let me know. www.sscc.us is the "world's fastest road rally" and has the Guiness world record for fastest average speed on a public hwy (217mph) and fastest speed ever recorded on a public hwy at 247mph.

For us Viper guys Helmet, arm restraints, seat harness and a racing suit will get your Viper into speed classes up to 150mph. Factory rollover protection is taken into consideration. Convertibles need rollbars or slower classes. Half and Mile events as well as banquets and car show. Absolutely best event you can attend. May weekend and middle of September in Las Vegas. Nothing like it in Canada except for maybe Targa Newfoundland.

Asp Man
06-06-2014, 10:31 AM
THe next scheduled event for the Western Club is August 8th, 9th and 10th in Ucluelet and Tofino/Long Beach on the west coast of Vancouver Island. See: http://westerncanadaviperclub.com/page2.html for some details. The hotel we are staying at is pretty much booked, The BlackRock Resort in Ucluelet, but there are other options in town. It's not a long weekend so it shouldn't be too hard to find a room, book soon if you're thinking of it. Any questions, post back here, I will try to look in often.

Turk
06-06-2014, 10:51 AM
I would love to make it out to the Island, but I already have plans that weekend. I take it the July event in Alberta has been cancelled?

Prinzeugen
06-06-2014, 11:04 AM
If the July event in Alberta is cancelled, thats to bad, I was looking forward to attending that event

Revolution
06-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Might have to just have our own Alberta meet?

Viktimize
06-06-2014, 08:29 PM
What does "Our own" mean? If anybody has any ideas then forward them to our President. I'm sure he would be more than happy to see somebody help take the reins and plan an event. I'd love to see an Alberta event happen on a weekend that I was available, and I'd even be willing to help organize. If the club is aware of it they can put it out to all members and you might get some members from out of province show up as well. More the merrier.

Revolution
06-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Our own means an Alberta Viper meet Victor :)

Asp Man
06-17-2014, 08:30 PM
Our own means an Alberta Viper meet Victor :)

Have you joined the VOA yet? It sounds like you'd like to get involved with organising an event, that would be great! Lots of members in Alberta, I'm sure you'd have a good turn out.

AJDRIX
02-08-2015, 08:00 PM
I like to welcome all of you to the Frist ever Beaver run from Calgary Alberta to Vancouver with stops along the way to enjoy with old and new friends made along the way the event still has not final date but will be held between July and August , test your navigation skills and passion for the road with some cold beer and show off your ride , prizes along the way with a final prize for the best overall time for the team . The website is up but please be paitent as we build the website and announce further details you can look at http://Www.thebeaverrun.ca for details to come our or contact me directly at 403 671 2884 thanks look forward to seeing you all there ..