PDA

View Full Version : HPDE Cold and Hot Tire Pressures with OEM Corsas?

Stealth
05-01-2015, 02:16 AM
Any Advice here? I could not find a clear suggestion when searching the existing threads.

Thanks for your thoughts!

FLATOUT
05-01-2015, 06:00 AM
I prefer them hot around 31-32 psi. I usually have to start cold around 27-28 psi to hit my hot mark. I'll usually snake small adjustments from there based on the days track conditions.

Stealth
05-01-2015, 02:45 PM
Thanks! I will probably start at 26 or 27.

So no front/rear difference?
l

MBG2.0
05-01-2015, 03:23 PM
That sounds bout right
Always good to start a little higher vrs lower i think.
A few local guys runs them about 32-33psi hot

TrackAire
05-01-2015, 04:22 PM
This isn't specific to the Corsa tires, but I've always examined how far over the tread is rolling and make adjustments. You'll notice that once you come in from your first session, you'll see the tread is scuffed and worn a certain amount towards the sidewall. I always adjust my tire pressure to insure that the tire "wear" is happening all the way to the edge of the "tread" compound. Most tires have a ridge, band or some sort of strip where the tread compound meets the sidewall rubber.

It's pretty hard to give out just one pressure number and claim that it is good for all conditions. How much camber you run, condition of the tires, condition of the track (grippy or greasy) and temperatures will all effect how the tire grips and how much pressure you need to get the car to handle like you want. Get a good quality gauge, a small 12 volt compressor (if the track does not have air) and play around with the Corsa's to see where the actual tire is wearing to on the outer edges. This is the ultimate solution to figuring out your pressures, but it is a good start.

Have fun out there.

Stealth
05-01-2015, 04:52 PM
Great advice. I will be at Autoclub Speedway in Fontana, CA running the Roval (part of NASCAR Oval and Infield). My GTS is stock with Sidewinder IIs and Corsas and 3,400 mi. It is a pretty fast course ((150-165mph at end of front straight, depending) and it will probably be 80-90F. I have a gauge and a compressor, will set cold temps and then measure after the session to keep the tires 31-32 hot and see how they feel.

Thanks!

darbgnik
05-01-2015, 05:13 PM
How accurate are the tire pressure monitors? Not as accurate as a gauge, but are they close?

SilveRT8
05-02-2015, 09:21 AM
How accurate are the tire pressure monitors? Not as accurate as a gauge, but are they close?

Mine seems very accurate compared to my gauge

Rapidrezults
05-02-2015, 09:39 AM
Mine seems very accurate compared to my gauge

Mine too.