PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wet sanded their hood?

My98RT10
05-01-2015, 12:59 AM
I guess this question is only for those longing for top notch show car finish of their paint....

I am trying to follow-up on a topic briefly discussed in another thread, which is the "waviness" of the fiberglass parts, that seems to shine through in some areas. Now, I am wondering, if this can be improved by wet sanding the clear coat?

I should say that I am very pleased with the paint on my car (do have a few bubbles on the trunk lid but hey, it's the coolest car in the world!) and everyone is asking me, if the car has been repainted recently because it just looks spectacular when clean and exposed to the bright sun (no picture can ever do it justice) :cool:

Thanks for your sharing your experience!

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q800/My98ViperRT10/My%20Viper/DSC_0108_zps178051d1.jpg

FLATOUT
05-01-2015, 06:06 AM
Yes I have, and it will level the clear but won't fix the big issues with fiberglass.

ViperTony
05-01-2015, 09:26 AM
I've seen many GenII's with "runs" in the paint near the top of the NACA duct. I've always wondered if the runs are paint or fiberglass issues? On some GenIIs, the runs near the NACA duct look like too much paint was applied and it ran before drying.

My98RT10
05-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Tony, do you mean runs in the clear or in the base coat?

My98RT10
05-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Yes I have, and it will level the clear but won't fix the big issues with fiberglass.

What are the big issues you are referring to?

ViperTony
05-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Tony, do you mean runs in the clear or in the base coat?

Actually, not sure which coat it's in. If you can't see it then you don't have it.

Junkman2008
05-02-2015, 12:17 AM
Word to the wise. There is not enough clear on your factory painted car to be performing any orange peel removal. You will drastically thin out your clear coat if you do and that will eventually cause peeling and other signs of clear coat failure.

Dajerseyviper
05-02-2015, 08:16 AM
I know what you are talking about, I have some waviness or meshing visible on the rear roof/trunk area of my RT/10 with some stress cracking where the top meets the body. You can also see some waviness in the fiberglass on the hood. I thought that my car may have been hit, but that is not the case. I had the same issue with my 1980 Corvette and the issue lies in the GEL coat applied to the fiberglass not really the paint. The years of warming up and cooling down of the fiberglass form the change in temperatures start to effect the gel coat. There is really nothing you can do other than strip the car down to the fiberglass and fix the gel coat. Which is what they do on full restorations of the corvettes. I just deal with it and know that I dont mind some paint issues on my Dodge Viper the coolest car ever manufactured in Murica' , cause if you drive it fast enough no one can see it..LOL

Junkman2008
05-02-2015, 08:19 AM
That points back to the delamination that I was talking about. Something between the layers is separating.

Matt Dillon
05-03-2015, 12:00 AM
JM, did you get rid of your Vette & finally get you a Viper? :)

Junkman2008
05-03-2015, 03:46 AM
JM, did you get rid of your Vette & finally get you a Viper? :)

Nah, you can't have anything but a Viper as your avatar so I picked the Viper that I would have bought. :D

sssammm
05-03-2015, 06:22 AM
I flatted the whole car, painted twin stripes, lacqured the whole car, flatted and polished it,
looks better than new and you cant feel the stripes...Im now doing the same with my ACR
to get rid of the horribly painted red stripe edge