PDA

View Full Version : Tires on my 4.

aspman
04-28-2015, 04:08 PM
Even though my tires are 7 years old and I drive year round for short distances what are the thoughts on changing them.They have low miles and look fine why change them?

ViperGeorge
04-28-2015, 04:13 PM
Even though my tires are 7 years old and I drive year round for short distances what are the thoughts on changing them.They have low miles and look fine why change them?

Because the rubber gets hard from sitting around and the UV rays can cause the rubber to degrade. If they are on a 2004 Gen 3 they are also Run Flats (or Run Craps as most of us call them). They are simply dangerous when the road is wet. You don't want to be out with your significant other and get stuck in an unexpected rain storm with Run Flats. An SRT engineer once told me that they would not let an SRT engineer drive a Viper with those tires if the temps were below 50 or if it was raining. He said that was because it was too easy to wreck. Change them.

FrgMstr
04-28-2015, 04:39 PM
If you drive like a grandma, probably no big deal except in the wet. If you ever actually accelerate though, new tires are the best insurance against an accident you can buy.

Roddy
04-28-2015, 04:52 PM
If you plan to drive the car replace them. That rubber is hardened by now, and that's just plain out dangerous. Some good deals out there on sets of 4 right now... $1200 ish

01sapphirebob
04-28-2015, 05:16 PM
If you plan to drive the car replace them. That rubber is hardened by now, and that's just plain out dangerous. Some good deals out there on sets of 4 right now... $1200 ish

This. If your GEN IV is an '08 or '09 its time for new tires. Cheap inurance. Just replaced my tires on my GEN IV last year. Went with the super sports. VOA also has a great deal on Pirelli tires as well. Can't go wrong with either.

kirkinsb
04-28-2015, 05:21 PM
Ya, bite the bullet. My tires were 11 years old when I got my Viper. Ya, same tires that it sold with new! They STUNK!!! Hard as rocks...OEM Runflats. New rubber transformed my car. It will be worth it. Gotta have fresh rubber on these cars.

BillyC
04-28-2015, 05:35 PM
Call Jon B @ Parts Rack. Explain the full situation. Tire age, driving conditions and driving style, etc.
He will not only make a recomendation, but will shoot you the best deal, and probably call you afterward to get your opinion of the tires.
Never met him personally, but have done biz with him over the years.

AZTVR
04-28-2015, 06:21 PM
I wish that Tirerack or another source would test a Viper, or, better for their pocketbook, a Corvette with 7 year old Pilot Sports, and with new Pilot Sports. Test skip pad g force, braking distance and also an accident avoidance test. I think video evidence would convince people.

I'd say to the OP: If you had to buy tires, and you had the choice of buying Michelin PSS's or getting Pep Boys Winter tires for free which would you choose? Maybe that analogy will help you decide.

Steve M
04-28-2015, 06:25 PM
Tires age out...beyond 6 years, I wouldn't even hesitate to replace them. I know it costs money, but man...and with the deal the VOA has with Pirelli, there's no reason to not have fresh tires on your car.

arizonajack
04-28-2015, 06:33 PM
I'd say to the OP: If you had to buy tires, and you had the choice of buying Michelin PSS's or getting Pep Boys Winter tires for free which would you choose? Maybe that analogy will help you decide.

Is free tires the correct answer?

aspman
04-28-2015, 07:11 PM
Ive dealt with JonB a lot...Ill give him a call.

XSnake
04-28-2015, 07:20 PM
Take advantage of the member Pirelli deal

aspman
04-28-2015, 07:30 PM
Is that the best deal?

aspman
04-28-2015, 07:49 PM
So P-Zero or P-Zero corsas if that's the best deal out there?

Steve M
04-28-2015, 09:20 PM
Street driven car? P-Zeros all day long...the Corsas, while a nice, sticky tire, will also sandblast the crap out of your paint and apparently aren't supposed to be driven (or even stored) in ambient temps below about 50° before they start cracking. Here in Ohio, that's a no-go (I'm NOT bringing wheels/tires inside my house for the winter...my wife would divorce me).

aspman
04-28-2015, 09:48 PM
Thanks....great info....believe ive seen that cracking issue elsewhere.

Fireball36
04-29-2015, 01:44 PM
7 year old tires? You said you 'drive' your car but c'mon, it's a VIPER!
I had no idea that you could get tires to last 7 years on a Viper - not in my wildest dreams.

So, call JonB and buy what he suggests. He knows.
Then get in your car and get your moneys worth out of the tires you have, the rears anyway. Be a teenager for just a few minutes.

That's my recomendation.

Greg