PDA

View Full Version : New, hopeful owner!

HKViper
04-25-2015, 07:14 PM
Hey everyone, just wanted to say hello. Currently shopping for a viper, preferably gen 2. I've been in love with these cars since they came out when I was kid, so I'm hoping this is the year I get to own one. I have a handful of questions about these cars I will be asking, hopefully you will all be patient with a Viper noob!

Thanks ahead of time!

99RT10
04-25-2015, 07:30 PM
The fun part of shopping is getting to see how different people personalize their car. Good luck in your search and don't be in a rush. Gen 2 cars are awesome, 99 is the best year too................ :D

HKViper
04-25-2015, 08:35 PM
The fun part of shopping is getting to see how different people personalize their car. Good luck in your search and don't be in a rush. Gen 2 cars are awesome, 99 is the best year too................ :D

I'm currently looking at a 199 RT/10 with 56,000 miles on it. Should I stay away from cars with mileage that high? It's currently located in North Carolina and being that I am in MA would need to find a shop to look over the car for me.

St.Char
04-26-2015, 09:23 AM
As with all Gens, the Gen2 has it's host of minor maintance issues that may need to be addressed. The mileage is not a concern as these cars are built solid, having said that, if the car looks good and comes with a service history and this one is the one you have to own then don't hesitate to purchase. However, depending on your budget it would be prudent to keep looking as there are other cars availabe with much lower miles. The most important factor though is when you do find the exact car you want....have it inspected by a qulified Viper tech, good luck!

HKViper
04-26-2015, 10:12 AM
As with all Gens, the Gen2 has it's host of minor maintance issues that may need to be addressed. The mileage is not a concern as these cars are built solid, having said that, if the car looks good and comes with a service history and this one is the one you have to own then don't hesitate to purchase. However, depending on your budget it would be prudent to keep looking as there are other cars availabe with much lower miles. The most important factor though is when you do find the exact car you want....have it inspected by a qulified Viper tech, good luck!

Thanks! I'm noticing that the parts you would worry about the most are fairly easy to attain, but noticing that stupid weird stuff is insanely hard. A headlight? Why are headlights so damn hard to find and when you do are insane amounts of money??

I'm definitely going to need a tech to look over the car, because quite honestly, I don't know what I'm looking at. I'm a virgin when it comes to these cars. I'm hoping I can find someone local with one that I can go look at in person, as it's been years since I've seen one up close. I really, really like the idea of exclusivity with them. I toyed with the idea of buying a brand new GT mustang and supercharging it but then realized every swinging dick in america has a mustang. I want something not everyone else is driving.

viperr
04-26-2015, 10:19 AM
I bought my 1999 RT-10 several years ago with 58,000 miles on it. I currently have 107,000 and just returned from the Mojave Magnum where it ran 180 in the mile and half with a normally aspirated motor. It runs great and no major issues have arisen on my car. It gets driven regularly and has regular maintenance, but runs and looks fine. I also agree that the 1999 is one of the best years, especially with the forged pistons and the 708 cam.

HKViper
04-26-2015, 10:29 AM
I bought my 1999 RT-10 several years ago with 58,000 miles on it. I currently have 107,000 and just returned from the Mojave Magnum where it ran 180 in the mile and half with a normally aspirated motor. It runs great and no major issues have arisen on my car. It gets driven regularly and has regular maintenance, but runs and looks fine. I also agree that the 1999 is one of the best years, especially with the forged pistons and the 708 cam.

Wow that's pretty sweet. I've actually made the decision to sell my SRT caliber that I have and maybe try to step into a 99 ACR GTS. I am infatuated with those cars. No matter what I have looked at, I always end up back looking at those.

smhog
04-27-2015, 07:24 PM
Welcome. I wish I read this thread a few days ago, we had the New England VOA Dyno Day yesterday in Hudson, NH. Great turnout, 17 Vipers were there.

Best of luck in your search and hope to see you at some events. Even if you don't get your snake soon we'd love to have you come out to the events this years.

Tim

HKViper
04-28-2015, 07:24 PM
Welcome. I wish I read this thread a few days ago, we had the New England VOA Dyno Day yesterday in Hudson, NH. Great turnout, 17 Vipers were there.

Best of luck in your search and hope to see you at some events. Even if you don't get your snake soon we'd love to have you come out to the events this years.

Tim

Someone told me about it that day of. I wished I had known, I'm really eager to see one in person and talk to an owner about them. I think the last time I got to look at a viper up close was back in 98 or 99 at limerock for a car show.

Scott250r
05-01-2015, 03:13 PM
Depending on your budget some very good deals can be made on gen 3 models If you aren't attached to the gen 2.

I would pay attention to how many owners have had the car. Also look for out of wack gaps along all the hood, headlights, doors... signs of previous damage.