PDA

View Full Version : Comp Coupe prices

Shooter
04-25-2015, 09:41 AM
Would like some advice on Comp Coupes from people that have/or have had them.
I'm looking at Comp Coupes and not really up on the prices. Most of the cars I am interested in are running in the high 120k range.
Does it matter what year the car is?. Or is the level that the car is built to what really determines value. For instance, I plan on racing the car, so a close to stock (factory spec) 2003 is more of a collector rather then something you would put on the track, correct?

I have no experience with these cars and thought I would ask some of the CC owners on here.
Thanks.

XSnake
04-25-2015, 10:03 AM
I don't own a comp coupe but considered them before buying an X. The differences is in the comp coupes are what was the latest spec they were brought up to which will determine which parts they have on them. Some cars have Gen 4 engines with sequentials, that's a far cry from a gen 3 motor and a T56. Some have restricitors, with special ECU's for the series they were running in. Sequential trans obviously is a big $$$ item so these are naturally more $$. Big thing you want to look at is the logbook which should have the amount of hours on the parts that are on the cars. Spares are also nice as CC parts are $$$.

I went with an X as the maintenance and upkeep costs on a CC are much greater than an X. The CC is a better overall race car but it really depends on what you are looking to do. What series are you going to run? Where do the cars fit in that series and what if any changes do you need to do to the car to run the car in that series.

I think Viper Exchange and Archer both have at least one for sale. The guys I bought my X from I believe are selling at least one of their CC's as well, they are not on the forums. Tom Francis will also know of any for sale, he's another good person talk to.

TooBlue
04-25-2015, 11:04 AM
There's two for sale in the classifieds.

Brad00GTS
04-25-2015, 02:07 PM
sponsoring vendor Dodgevipersforsale has a brand new 2003 for sale, still in delivery form. Contact Marv Rose

http://dodgevipersforsale.com/

Shooter
04-25-2015, 07:56 PM
sponsoring vendor Dodgevipersforsale has a brand new 2003 for sale, still in delivery form. Contact Marv Rose

http://dodgevipersforsale.com/

Thanks. I see the ones for sale. That's not what my post is about though.

Shooter
04-25-2015, 08:03 PM
I don't own a comp coupe but considered them before buying an X. The differences is in the comp coupes are what was the latest spec they were brought up to which will determine which parts they have on them. Some cars have Gen 4 engines with sequentials, that's a far cry from a gen 3 motor and a T56. Some have restricitors, with special ECU's for the series they were running in. Sequential trans obviously is a big $$$ item so these are naturally more $$. Big thing you want to look at is the logbook which should have the amount of hours on the parts that are on the cars. Spares are also nice as CC parts are $$$.

I went with an X as the maintenance and upkeep costs on a CC are much greater than an X. The CC is a better overall race car but it really depends on what you are looking to do. What series are you going to run? Where do the cars fit in that series and what if any changes do you need to do to the car to run the car in that series.

I think Viper Exchange and Archer both have at least one for sale. The guys I bought my X from I believe are selling at least one of their CC's as well, they are not on the forums. Tom Francis will also know of any for sale, he's another good person talk to.

Thanks Matt. I appreciate your input. I'm going to do some TT stuff first, then see what series I can afford to race in. I know the ACRX is less maintenance then a CC, and cheaper/easier then a CC with an Emco or other sequential. I just have always wanted a Comp Coupe. :) I'm at a point where I can afford one now and am starting to look seriously.

steve911
04-25-2015, 10:40 PM
Comp Coupe prices depend on many, many factors. Grab a stool...

They are generally divided up in two categories, The VRL cars (Viper Racing League) and World Challenge.

Early VRL cars had modified stock front fascia, small straight cord wing in the rear. OEM clutch with lightened steel flywheel, Stock diameter brakes with OEM calipers, solid OEM shaped sway bars, modified OEM engine management, Moton triple adj. shocks, T56 trans with modified ratio options, Hurst Shifter, Small carbon front splitter, electric radiator fan (not hyd operated like gen 3 street cars) solid rear half shafts, different posi unit that the stock hydro-loc. Optional light weight head lights, carbon body, "long" race exhaust. Optional Air Jack system. That's for starters.

The World Challenge Cars are a totally different animal. The front fascia is completely redesigned and about 8 inches longer than a VRL car, larger carbon splitter with replaceable rub strips. Wider front body work. Redesigned air intake and radiator ducting. Most went to 15" dia rotors w/6 piston Brembo brakes, rear rotors were either 13" or 14" depending whether it was a short track car or an endurance car. Adjustable blade style sway bars (most cockpit adjustable)front and rear. Monoball Suspension, Penske Shocks, Engine was a gen 3/4 hybrid motor making lots of horses unless it was restricted by regulation. Motronic (Bosch) engine management system. Tilton triple disc clutch setup. Shorty exhaust. traction control. Sequential Transmissions (Hollinger usually).

That was just the tip of the iceberg. The car's provenance has a bearing on prices. If it was an actual WC car with a comp history it adds value. If the owner or driver was of some importance it adds value. Condition, originality, spares package also influences prices.

The VRL cars are rock solid reliable and easy as heck to work on, parts are reasonably priced as far as race car stuff goes. I personally know of 3 no surprise VRL cars for sale in the mid $70's now.

WC cars hold the value for the reasons stated above. It costs more to maintain and some parts are getting hard to find. Harder to find a no surprise car for a decent price.

In my opinion the Comp Coupe is the only real race car that Dodge put its name on. Not to slight the ACR-X owners, but its still pretty much a street car with a cage and cell. There are those that say an X will beat a comp coupe. In some venues yes it will, but most others not....

Sorry to be so long winded.

XLR8
04-26-2015, 09:22 AM
I have had a bunch of Viper race cars and I think the most important thing to remember when buying one is to buy the car with the most go fast parts that you can afford. It will cost a lot less to buy the car with the parts on it than it does to buy the car and then modify it. It will cost tens of thousands for the World Challenge body work, another 10k for a dry sump, 15k for the 6 piston 15" brakes and so on. To take a VRL car to World Challenge status and beyond is HUGE money. Buy the car that you will want down the road, it will save you a ton in the long run. Plus the car will more fun to drive!!!!

Shooter
04-27-2015, 06:09 PM
Thanks Steve, XLR8. That's the info I was after. Seems like I'll have to look at the WC level cars then. Bernie K had a CC about 1 1/2 years ago that I wish I had jumped on. Was that CC from europe with the Vodka graphics on it. Just didn't have the cash avail then.

Much appreciated guy's.
Robert

danielh327
05-29-2015, 03:10 PM
Hey Shooter,

I just put my X for sale. Its a beast and always taken care of. Take a look and let me know if you are interested

http://www.racingjunk.com/Vipers/182499230/2008-Dodge-Viper.html

Best,

D

XSnake
05-29-2015, 03:18 PM
Hey Shooter,

I just put my X for sale. Its a beast and always taken care of. Take a look and let me know if you are interested

Best,

D

Where did you get a 3.35 ring gear for your diff?

ACRucrazy
05-29-2015, 04:34 PM
Hey Shooter,

Best,

D

This used to be the yellow ACR that was wrecked and converted to an X clone correct?

Shooter
05-30-2015, 01:36 AM
Hey Shooter,

Best,

D
Thanks. I'm after a Comp Coupe, but I'll have a look. Never know.

FrankBarba
05-30-2015, 05:55 PM
Comp Coupe Email me for the details.....i'll shoot you over information, you can come down to Carlisle look over the car, paperwork, times, ect..ect....