PDA

View Full Version : Buffing Difficult Angles on the Side of A Vehicle

Junkman2008
04-22-2015, 07:35 AM
In this 40-minute video, I discuss and show my technique for buffing complex curves and angles on the side of a vehicle. I discuss and show how to negotiate the various angles, dips and curves that you may encounter. The thing that I stress in this video is that you have to constantly pay attention to what the polisher is doing when you are working on areas like this. The sound of the polisher will constantly be changing (or talking to you as I call it), which gives you clues on how to proceed. It is this "talking" that the polisher is doing that will be your clue as to how much pressure to use and how to angle the polisher while buffing.

There is a LOT of watching that you need to do as I am working the polisher. Notice how I don't necessarily use a cross-hitch pattern of buffing like I would on a flat and open surface. Notice that I tend to use short buffing strokes in the dips. Notice that the pad NEVER stops rotating, which will happen if you apply too much pressure. You ALWAYS want the pad to rotate or the effectiveness of the machine will be greatly diminished. Watch and pay attention while learning!

Products and equipment used:

Orange 6" Hex-Logic pad (for a novice, a 5.5" Hex-Logic pad is a MUCH better, easier to use and preferred option).

Optimum Compound II

Porter-Cable 7424XP orbital sander (or polisher if you want to call it that)

16 x 24 Eagle Edgeless Blue Super Plus Microfiber Towel

Enjoy! ;)

The Junkman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDe5As3pLuw

Coloviper
04-26-2015, 11:05 PM
Thanks!

Coloviper
04-26-2015, 11:15 PM
Junkman, do you have a video or solution to resolve the waviness in the paint of some older Vipers? My 96 RT/10 has original paint. The paint is "glass reflection perfect" on the trunk, rear clip, front clip, sports bar, but the doors have just a little waviness, but the hood seems to have a lot on the top surface. When I mean waviness, it is not orange peel, but like a fiberglass wave or a super thick clear coat that is not a clear reflection. The original paint has held up awesome for almost 20 years and the hood, doors look great from 5 feet away, however sitting in the car and driving, it bothers me as I really notice it. I would like to see an Eagle's reflection 100 feet up in the air, when I look at it.

I have all the detail equipment and gear, for years now, but never used it. Kinda been scared to use it. Just curious what to do?

Junkman2008
04-26-2015, 11:53 PM
I have no idea what you are calling "wavy." You'll need to post a video so that I can see what you are talking about.

My98RT10
04-27-2015, 08:28 AM
I think I know what you mean. I have the same: the hood and the quarter rear panels have this kind of "waviness". It does not bother me that much as I still think, the paint is very nice. But I notice a difference between the doors, trunk lid and hood/quarter panel. Doors and trunk lid are even better and providing a glass-like mirror effect. Here's a pic I have recently taken to capture the reflection of the door. I think you can still see the difference comparing with the hood.

My guess is, you would have to wet sand the hood carefully to obtain the same kind of glass-like reflection. But I am not sure, if I really want to do that, as you can probably also make it worse, if not done correctly...

Hope, Junkman can elaborate a bit on this ;-))

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q800/My98ViperRT10/Detailing/DSC_1001_zpsvl7tzdmc.jpg

Junkman2008
04-27-2015, 09:43 AM
I bet what you fellas have is a delamination problem. The panel is separating from within between the layers. There is NO fix for this problem. The panels have to be replaced. No sanding or repainting will permanently fix it, only temporarily make it look good until it separates some more. The C5 Corvettes had the same issue on the rear hatch and the C6 Corvettes actually had the issue where part of the roof would separate while driving and go flying off the car. There should be a TSB out about it if that's the case. I would check with a dealer.

johniew398
04-27-2015, 10:10 AM
Thanks Junkman. I'm getting ready to detail our three vehicles with a new polisher and this will really help.

My98RT10
04-27-2015, 10:51 AM
I bet what you fellas have is a delamination problem. The panel is separating from within between the layers. There is NO fix for this problem. The panels have to be replaced. No sanding or repainting will permanently fix it, only temporarily make it look good until it separates some more. The C5 Corvettes had the same issue on the rear hatch and the C6 Corvettes actually had the issue where part of the roof would separate while driving and go flying off the car. There should be a TSB out about it if that's the case. I would check with a dealer.

Wow! Never really heard of this problem. Can someone else maybe chime in? I would think that if this is a known/common problem with our beloved Vipers, more owners should be affected by this....

Coloviper
04-27-2015, 10:22 PM
Yes waviness like the hood in that pic. I don't think it is delamination. It is just like a real thick clear coat that was not properly sanded or something. Like it needs to be color sanded, worked, etc. let's say it could be reworked, even temporarily for a fix, what would you recommend we do?

Junkman2008
04-27-2015, 10:35 PM
I you all were driving Toyota's, I would entertain the idea of some shoddy paint work. But the flagship car of Chrysler? I don't think that you're looking at shoddy paint work if that is a factory paint job. It may not come from the factory perfect, but it should be a lot better than that.

My98RT10
04-28-2015, 03:31 AM
Here's another shot I found where you can see the "waviness" of the hood. Leave it to the experts to judge on delamination or not....

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q800/My98ViperRT10/My%20Viper/HDR20_zps77c752b1.jpg

Junkman2008
04-28-2015, 05:43 AM
The true test will be if someone has had this fixed before and whether or not the effect returned.

My98RT10
04-28-2015, 03:03 PM
I have searched "the other site" as well a bit and came across a couple of threads where owners were confirming this kind of waviness. None of them, however, mentioned the problem of delamination. In fact, common view was that it is just the structure of the fiber that "shines through".

One last pic of my wavy hood. And sorry for hijacking...

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q800/My98ViperRT10/My%20Viper/DSC_0108_zps178051d1.jpg

Coloviper
04-28-2015, 10:03 PM
No hijack, just want to try to resolve issue. Junkman you mention if something was done, did it come back? What might we try to do,to fix? Thanks

Junkman2008
04-28-2015, 10:04 PM
Without seeing it in person, I have no idea.