PDA

View Full Version : C7 Corvette Crash in Santa Clarita - Two Die

LA STIG
04-19-2015, 07:25 PM
Two men died yesterday morning in a single vehicle crash on Bouquet Canyon Road in North Los Angeles county. So far only the passenger has been identified: Ray Silver also well-known in the LA Covette, car, and track community as "C6 Ray". Ray was about 72 and was well-liked. The identification of the C7 driver is unknown at this time. The accident occurred during a monthly "run" by one of the local Corvette groups.

I've known Ray for about five years and he was a good guy and a real character. He will be missed.

Viper owners in the area will be advised that this incident will likely increase law enforcement awareness of group "runs", and well it should. We have many good racetracks in and around metropolitan Los Angeles and they are the proper venue for aggressive driving.

Vprbite
04-21-2015, 04:11 PM
I don't care for Vettes but obviously this is still a tragedy for all involved.

Thoughts and prayers to the family and friends and it is a reminder to all of us that things can go wrong really fast.

RIP

AZTVR
04-21-2015, 05:22 PM
So sad. I doubt that most of the day was much different than any day out on a fun run by thousands and thousands of folks on a beautiful warm sunny day except for the ending. Like Jeff said, stuff happens fast and when you don't expect it. A reminder to be vigilant when driving; but, also, get out there and live it to the fullest.

I hate the stereotypical last sentence of the news report linked below. I know that it doesn't imply or infer anything; I just can not stand news people any more to report the facts they know. I'd be pissed if it was included in a story about a personal friend.
http://abc7.com/news/2-men-killed-in-fiery-car-crash-in-newhall/670182/

Vprbite
04-22-2015, 03:57 AM
I hate the stereotypical last sentence of the news report linked below. I know that it doesn't imply or infer anything; I just can not stand news people any more to report the facts they know. I'd be pissed if it was included in a story about a personal friend.
http://abc7.com/news/2-men-killed-in-fiery-car-crash-in-newhall/670182/

Tell me about it!!! One of the newspaper articles about my wreck said something to that effect. Now, with the story about me in the magazine out people can read that alcohol wasn't involved, my speed was estimated at 55, and the reason the wreck was so bad and I got so hurt was because I was avoiding a minivan. I said to myself "I don't want to hurt anyone else" and purposefully avoided that minivan. Im glad I did as it turned out to have a woman and her two young daughters in the car. But the first article about the wreck in the paper didn't say that I wasn't even cited for speeding or anything like that. It just ends the article with that ambiguous but still incriminating phrase "investigators are trying to determine if alcohol or speed were factors." which is one of those sentences that makes the reader immediately think they must have been. And, what makes a writer include that statement with no evidence to that fact? Unless the police said they found empty beer cans in the car or something like that, it is nothing but patently false. For that matter, why don't they finish this article with "Investigators are still trying to determine if ISIS was involved." They have just as much evidence of that.

I agree TVR, I would be pissed if some writer was using irresponsible and salacious reporting of nothing but pure conjecture about someone I care about who is no longer here to defend themselves. At least I was alive to tell people that it was just a confluence of unfortunate circumstances.

Of course now, thanks to a great article about me in the latest magazine, my story has been told very well and I am honored to have been able to do that.

For now, I just wish the family finds some peace in this tragedy and hate that people reading the article are left with the last statement in the article being vaguely accusatory. I lose more respect for journalism daily now it seems.