PDA

View Full Version : Bad upper ball joint @55k - Is that normal and what else to replace?

The_Greg
04-19-2015, 06:42 PM
Well, I've been having a handling issue that's getting worse. For example, during a constant cornering situation, upon hitting a big enough bump in the road, I lose steering feel, there is some rattling, and the wheel requires a little input. Feels/sounds like the driver side. I recently tried to install lowering caps (not gonna happen with the suspension on the car!) and noticed quite a bit of caked on grease. Upon further inspection, it's clear that the grease boot is compromised on at least the upper driver's side ball joint and there is unacceptable movement of the wheel when the car is lifted. Haven't checked passenger side but I'll duplicate whatever work I do on the drivers side anyways.

So...
Is this normal?
What else should I replace when I do this? Tie rod ends, arm bushings, new set of MCS while I'm at it? haha.
Where can I get the parts from?
How difficult is the install/removal (presses, special tools)?

Notice the wet looking grease coming out from the boot near the arm. :(
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b312/The_Greg9/E72DD5C6-F357-47C7-9BFC-999AFA9ACC86.jpg

The_Greg
04-19-2015, 06:44 PM
And upon a second look at the picture, does it look like my coilover strut is leaking? How do I know if those are compromised?

Dajerseyviper
04-19-2015, 07:52 PM
How do I know if those are compromised?

By the fluid leaking from them..

The_Greg
04-20-2015, 09:07 AM
I know this isn't necessarily a sexy topic, but is there anyone who can help me with my questions?

Dajerseyviper
04-20-2015, 09:56 AM
I know this isn't necessarily a sexy topic, but is there anyone who can help me with my questions?

I just did, if you choose to be ignorant and ignore it then you are on your own. I will say it again in case you missed it...If your struts are leaking fluid, they are shot and need to be rebuilt. The fluid is supposed to stay on the inside of the strut, not the outside. The ball joint, if it has excessive play in it, it is also shot. Simple stuff really, not viper specific. Also a dust boot being compromised does not bean the ball joint is shot. Also check your wheel hub and bearings, if you can feel movement in the wheel when it is jacked up the bearings may be shot. You really have to examine each component very carefully since you are having a handling issue that can realistically ruin your day by killing you.

And FYI you need a special wrench to remove the ball joints.

AZTVR
04-20-2015, 10:45 AM

Some good info here: http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/723-Ball-joint-recommendations-for-Gen-2

steve911
04-20-2015, 11:37 AM
Check your PM's.

I can help with everything, and I am close...