PDA

View Full Version : New Owner in Illinois

goodee
04-19-2015, 03:34 PM
Hello all,

My wife finally caved and gave me permission to buy myself a present - the recent promotion at work didn't hurt either. This is my first Viper after years of owning front-drive Mopars (2 Omni GLH Turbos, 3 Shelby Chargers, Neon ACR, Neon SRT-4, etc.). It is a 2000 GTS with the Cognac interior. From the limited research I have done it is 1 of 32 with that combination. I am its second owner and hope to have many years of fun with it. For anyone in the Peoria, IL area maybe you will see me out and about in it.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to be a member of the Forum,
Chris

Loud
04-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Congrats! I'm in Peoria every couple months visiting family. We could cruise next time I'm there.

Join the club, many benefits especially for a new owner.

LifeIsGood
04-19-2015, 04:42 PM
Congratulations...sorry you got stuck with that color...

daytonprowler
04-19-2015, 04:42 PM
Hello all,

My wife finally caved and gave me permission to buy myself a present - the recent promotion at work didn't hurt either. This is my first Viper after years of owning front-drive Mopars (2 Omni GLH Turbos, 3 Shelby Chargers, Neon ACR, Neon SRT-4, etc.). It is a 2000 GTS with the Cognac interior. From the limited research I have done it is 1 of 32 with that combination. I am its second owner and hope to have many years of fun with it. For anyone in the Peoria, IL area maybe you will see me out and about in it.

Chris

WELCOME!

GLH's and Shelby Chargers..... we'll have to talk. :) Still have my '86 signed by Carroll.

Click below to join the club. The VOA Illinois Region is the largest of our regions.

http://driveviper.com/images/join-button.png (https://driveviper.com/join/)

VenomousOne
04-19-2015, 05:31 PM
Welcome and more pics please!!!

Photog1
04-19-2015, 05:43 PM
Hello all,

Chris

Welcome to the insanity.PM me your number or you can call me at 309-657-3686 and we can talk.

Photog1
04-19-2015, 05:45 PM
Congrats! I'm in Peoria every couple months visiting family. We could cruise next time I'm there.

Join the club, many benefits especially for a new owner.

Really Anil... I live near Peoria you never mentioned cruising. lol!

SmoknTires
04-19-2015, 09:14 PM
That's because you drive too slow Rob, he was with me! ;.)

Chris, congrats on the car and welcome to the family. The IL region is an insane bunch of people, hope you gather with them. You will never regret it.

Loud
04-20-2015, 10:09 AM
What Alex said. Kidding :)

Yes, we do have to go cruise the next time I'm there. Will keep you posted.

A

The_Greg
04-20-2015, 10:35 AM
Congrats and welcome! I also came from an SRT-4 (and an 88 Daytona Shelby Z). And I'll also vouch for the IL club. Very fun bunch and a very active club.

steve911
04-20-2015, 11:11 AM
Hello from the WI side of the IL chapter.

Back in the day for me, It was an 86 Shelby Charger, And 87 GLHS, and my pride and joy back then, 89 CSX #003 (8000 miles)

goodee
04-20-2015, 02:29 PM
Awesome, a lot more front-drive guys here than I would have thought. Here's a little more car-related background for me (Mopar that is). It all started with a '79 Plymouth Horizon TC3 fixer-upper when I was 17 (thanks Dad). That gave way to an '81 Charger 2.2 and then... '85 Shelby Charger Turbo, '85 Daytona Turbo, '86 Shelby Charger Turbo, '84 Shelby Charger carbureted, and an '86 Omni GLH Turbo. Then I moved to an '88 Daytona Shelby Z and an '85 Omni GLH Turbo (which I still have but has been sitting in a barn since 1997 after 5 hard years of autocrossing). I still haven't decided if I want to sell it and the numerous spare parts I have for it.

My Neon phase came next when I bought a '98 ACR and had the most fun with it autocrossing than any other car I've run. I miss that car most of all believe it or not. When I saw the SRT-4 at the Chicago Auto Show in 2002 I got on a waiting list at the local Dodge dealer immediately. Since I had been such a good customer I got their first '03 SRT-4 under the condition that they could display it on the showroom floor for a few days. In 2005 I sold all my fun toys (except the GLH) to build a house and subsequently got married while I was choosing paint colors (thank the lord I could pass that to someone else).

The Viper story - I had always wanted a Viper and even toured the Conner Avenue assembly plant back in '97. However since 2005 I had driven a friend's Z06 at a few autocrosses and got smitten. While looking for a '02-'04 Z06 I came across the Viper at Roanoke Dodge. When I found out the insurance was less than a Z06 I knew had a chance. The owner at Roanoke (John Gastman), who I'm sure you are all familiar with, had let me drive his Viper at an autocross event back in 2000 when he saw me campaigning the Neon ACR. Little did he know at the time that it would turn into a sale 15 years later. Anyway, I am the second owner of the Viper which is about to turn 130K miles. All the paperwork came with the car since day one. It was traded at Roanoke by a lovely 76 year lady (I am not making this up) who loves her Vipers but was talked into a Dodge Charger by her children so she could tote the grand kids. There is much more to that story but this has gone on much longer than I had thought already.

Thanks for reading!
Chris

The_Greg
04-20-2015, 03:00 PM
Anyway, I am the second owner of the Viper which is about to turn 130K miles. All the paperwork came with the car since day one. It was traded at Roanoke by a lovely 76 year lady (I am not making this up) who loves her Vipers but was talked into a Dodge Charger by her children so she could tote the grand kids.

Wow... That is not the usual ownership story. She averaged about 8.5k miles a year. I did 10k in three years. I guess that puts things into perspective a little!

goodee
04-20-2015, 03:43 PM
She has/had two other Vipers and put over 130K combined on those as well. This one was her first and was special ordered by her and her husband (unfortunately he never got to drive it due to his passing after a battle with cancer in 2002). The price was right because of the mileage, the story, and all the paperwork included (every oil change, recall, repair, tire replacement, etc.). It literally looks showroom new, not even a curb scrape on the wheels and only very slight wear on the door seal from getting in and out. The only body work was from a minor fender bender in the nose and all that is detailed as well. Those hoods are expensive!

Loud
04-20-2015, 04:10 PM
Congrats again. I believe we may know who the previous owner is. I think she is from Atlanta.

goodee
04-21-2015, 08:59 AM
Yes she is. I didn't think it was place to post her name here.

goodee
04-28-2015, 10:15 AM
Congrats again. I believe we may know who the previous owner is. I think she is from Atlanta.

I just had a nice phone conversation last evening with the previous owner (Mary). Wonderful lady and she answered all the questions I had about the car and had many stories as well. This car has been through more than the typical Viper but I am still pleased with my purchase and am grateful to Mary for caring so much about the car and yet enjoying the heck out of it while she owned it. Luckily for me she spent a considerable amount of money on upkeep so I wouldn't have to, at least not for a little while.