PDA

View Full Version : Viper exchange lowering caps

dcvickers
04-19-2015, 02:19 PM
I was so excited to receive these that I didn't pay attention when opening them and noticed after that there are front and rears. I'm assuming the slightly taller ones go in the rear, but I want to double check. Am I correct?

viper18
04-19-2015, 02:49 PM
Yes short ones in the front. Post pics!

SilveRT8
04-19-2015, 04:17 PM
Just had mine installed this week too. I didn't know there was a front and rear. Hope the mechanic installed them right, my installed ride height to the top of the fender is 25 1/2" front and 27 7/8" rear. Stance and ride feel right.
Can someone confirm ?

Simms
04-19-2015, 06:06 PM
Mine were all the same.

outnumbered
04-19-2015, 06:31 PM
Mine were labeled front and rear.

Sainthitch
04-19-2015, 06:48 PM
I could swear all mine were the same. Hope the dealer read something that i missed if it was there.

outnumbered
04-19-2015, 06:57 PM
Read the first post.

http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/5316-Tomball-Dodge-Viper-Exchange-Suspension-Modification-for-the-Gen-V?highlight=lowering+caps

Simms
04-19-2015, 07:32 PM
Read the first post.

http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/5316-Tomball-Dodge-Viper-Exchange-Suspension-Modification-for-the-Gen-V?highlight=lowering+caps

Damn, who knows how mine are installed. They were unmarked.

The factory ones have different part numbers though.

outnumbered
04-19-2015, 07:35 PM
Damn, who knows how mine are installed. They were unmarked.

If it helps, there is a noticeable difference between the fronts and rears.

Brian GTS
04-19-2015, 08:39 PM
Yes, the fronts are shorter. The set I received was not labeled, but I luckily decided to line them up on the workbench and compare.

Simms
04-19-2015, 09:00 PM
Yes, the fronts are shorter. The set I received was not labeled, but I luckily decided to line them up on the workbench and compare.

Which part of the spacer was shorter? Mine looked identical.

dcvickers
04-19-2015, 09:43 PM
Yep, mine were in separate bags labeled front and rear. There wasn't a big different between them, maybe 1/8" or so. If I hadn't already installed the rears I'd take a picture. And I can't remember which part was shorter - I just know that when I sat them side by side the rears were noticeably taller.

viper04
04-19-2015, 09:54 PM
Yep, mine were in separate bags labeled front and rear. There wasn't a big different between them, maybe 1/8" or so. If I hadn't already installed the rears I'd take a picture. And I can't remember which part was shorter - I just know that when I sat them side by side the rears were noticeably taller.

I just order a set and was curious did you do the install yourself?

dcvickers
04-19-2015, 10:11 PM
I just order a set and was curious did you do the install yourself?

I'm working on it :). I did the rears tonight which according to most are a lot easier than the fronts. I plan on finishing it up tomorrow night.

Brian GTS
04-19-2015, 10:48 PM
Which part of the spacer was shorter? Mine looked identical.

They look identical until you place them side by side on a flat surface and look across the tops. Like other others mentioned, them fronts are about 1/8 shorter. From where the spring contacts the spacer to the tip of the spacer is 1/8" difference. Always wondered why stock Gen V's front gap is larger than rear gap. Correct spacer placement evens it out nicely.

viper04
04-20-2015, 05:56 AM
I'm working on it :). I did the rears tonight which according to most are a lot easier than the fronts. I plan on finishing it up tomorrow night.

LOL! good now do a write up and take some pictures. I may need some pointers.

Simms
04-20-2015, 07:26 AM
Thanks Brian.

Can someone please take some measurements of the spacers. Mine were identical next to each other, so I'm wondering if I got 4 fronts, or 4 rears. Mine were very early pieces (pre Viper Exchange markings), unmarked and all in the same package. I really don't feel like pulling these shocks again haha.

Sainthitch
04-20-2015, 08:53 AM
I just dropped them all off with the dealer and said have fun. I really hope they installed them correctly! car looks great - lower all the way around but still...

mjorgensen
04-20-2015, 09:12 AM
Thanks Brian.

Can someone please take some measurements of the spacers. Mine were identical next to each other, so I'm wondering if I got 4 fronts, or 4 rears. Mine were very early pieces (pre Viper Exchange markings), unmarked and all in the same package. I really don't feel like pulling these shocks again haha.

Yes even the early ones were different you just had to notice it first because they were not labeled. We caught the first ones 1/2 way through and I had to call and verify which went where.

1.8t
04-20-2015, 09:44 AM
Probably not, but can these be installed without removing the suspension? Compress the springs while still on the car and slide the old ones out/new ones in?

dcvickers
04-20-2015, 01:05 PM
Probably not, but can these be installed without removing the suspension? Compress the springs while still on the car and slide the old ones out/new ones in?

You can definitely do the rears without removing anything, but I don't know about the fronts. I'll know tonight, though.

1.8t
04-20-2015, 03:23 PM
Awesome. Let us know how it goes.

bluesrt
04-20-2015, 04:09 PM
I shure hope there are none running around all cati wampus!!!!! I have not put mine on yet, good thing cause I may have goofed this one

Brian GTS
04-20-2015, 05:27 PM

I did my rears without removing. It went much quicker than the fronts of course. :)

viper04
04-20-2015, 06:58 PM
What kind of spring compressor are you guys using?

Brian GTS
04-20-2015, 07:17 PM
I used this one from Harbor Freight. Not much to it, but it did the trick and easily fit within the rear control arms so I didn't have to remove the shocks. The front must come off though.

DPViper
04-20-2015, 08:10 PM
Brian GTS gave me pointers on doing the fronts. He was right...your arms will get a workout!

dcvickers
04-20-2015, 09:42 PM
Brian GTS gave me pointers on doing the fronts. He was right...your arms will get a workout!

Tell me about it! I just finished one of the fronts and I'm beat. For those of you with the adjustable suspension, how did you handle the fronts? Is there an easy way to fully disconnect the shocks?

outnumbered
04-21-2015, 05:08 AM
Tony at JTSVP used spring compressors on the fronts and rears on my car. It wasn't easy, but he did it.

Brian GTS
04-21-2015, 06:21 AM
Tell me about it! I just finished one of the fronts and I'm beat. For those of you with the adjustable suspension, how did you handle the fronts? Is there an easy way to fully disconnect the shocks?

Not knowing the implications of disconnecting, I left mine attached. I laid a towel on the upper control arm and that was my "work bench". :)

viper04
04-21-2015, 06:39 AM
Brain GTS
Thanks for the info on the tool from "Harbor Freight". The rear seem to be ok to do on the car. For the front I assume you just detach the upper bolts or lower bolts and lay in on the control arms and do it on the car? I guess I will have some fun tonight. Also what alignment is everyone going with after the caps install, T/A, stock ect.

bluesrt
04-21-2015, 08:43 AM
i would just set toe and leave the rest alone

dcvickers
04-21-2015, 08:57 AM
Not knowing the implications of disconnecting, I left mine attached. I laid a towel on the upper control arm and that was my "work bench". :)

Good, so I'm not alone :). Only one more to go!

mjorgensen
04-21-2015, 09:00 AM
i would just set toe and leave the rest alone

There have been complaints about high speed braking stability, I would "strongly suggest" that you do not overlook the rear toe pattern, if one side is toeing in more or less than the other it WILL cause instability under extreme braking events.

bluesrt
04-21-2015, 09:09 AM
yes true, il check that when I do mine...

Simms
04-21-2015, 09:37 AM
Removing the fronts is not hard. Two bolts hold the reservoir on and you remove it all together.

FLATOUT
04-22-2015, 01:20 PM
Hi Guys,

Swung by Viperexchange today to clear up the confusion and add some additional info.

Here's a side by side pic of the front and rear caps. These are Zinc coated to resist corrosion, lower the car 14mm in the front and 11mm in the rear developed by Ben Keating and Viperexchange.com.

They have sets in stock ready to move. If you have any questions send me a PM.

Andy

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n133/ZOSICK/image_zps5duee9wt.jpg (http://s111.photobucket.com/user/ZOSICK/media/image_zps5duee9wt.jpg.html)

Simms
04-22-2015, 01:26 PM
Thanks Andy! I don't recall mine being that much different. I hope to measure them tonight or tomorrow to confirm (not easily measured while on the car).

SilveRT8
04-22-2015, 02:10 PM
Just called the Tech who did my install and he mentionned that Front and Rears were packaged separatly, so he installed them correctly.
My installed heights from ground to top of fender opening are : 25 1/2" Front and 27 7/8" Rear.

FLATOUT
04-22-2015, 03:56 PM
Just called the Tech who did my install and he mentionned that Front and Rears were packaged separatly, so he installed them correctly.
My installed heights from ground to top of fender opening are : 25 1/2" Front and 27 7/8" Rear.

Awesome! Glad you're all set.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Andy! I don't recall mine being that much different. I hope to measure them tonight or tomorrow to confirm (not easily measured while on the car).

Anytime Brother!

viper04
04-22-2015, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the info I got my set yesterday and they are different. Those one don't look like they have the viper exchange logo on them or do they. Looks cool with them.