PDA

View Full Version : Did my car go into limp mode?

outnumbered
04-11-2015, 05:57 PM
Went for a ride tonight (about an hour) and stopped to get gas. After leaving the gas station, I noticed the car was dramatically under powered. Shortly after, the check engine light came on. Operating temp was at 192, and oil pressure was up, but I noticed that the pressure was at 100. It only dropped down to around 80psi a couple of times. The oil was changed last week, and it does have plenty of oil in it, but I don't recall ever seeing the gauge pegged. The car has 3700 miles and is stock.

So,

Did my car go into limp mode for some reason?

Why is my oil pressure so high?

Will the car tell me the code without attaching a scanner?

If it is in limp mode what do I do?

outnumbered
04-11-2015, 06:17 PM
Just checked the code:

P0014
Bank 1 Camshaft
2 Position
Target Performance

Ok, tell me how bad this is....

outnumbered
04-11-2015, 06:40 PM
I am assuming that based on what I have read on the site, that I have a faulty oil pressure gauge; hence the high oil pressure reading, which is setting the code. Make sense?

LmeaViper
04-11-2015, 08:35 PM
I am no Viper expert, however I would be extremely surprised if your issue is the gauge.

Best call your dealership before you go driving it any further.
Let us know how you end up pls.

Aspirations57
04-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Could you or whoever changed the oil have over-filled it.? I agree do not drive it like that.

alipontiac
04-12-2015, 08:19 AM
Strange..i hope members could help you, keep us updated.

Jack B
04-12-2015, 11:55 AM
If your pressure was that high, it might affect the vvt, therefore, set that specific code.

Overfill would have opposite affect and could reduce pressure as the oil gets aerated.

Just a guess, they used a high viscosity oil, that might explain what you are seeing. The other issue might be a faulty oil pressure relief valve.

Personally, I would not drive it if the pressure stays at 100 osi.

outnumbered
04-12-2015, 01:54 PM
If your pressure was that high, it might affect the vvt, therefore, set that specific code.

Overfill would have opposite affect and could reduce pressure as the oil gets aerated.

Just a guess, they used a high viscosity oil, that might explain what you are seeing. The other issue might be a faulty oil pressure relief valve.

Personally, I would not drive it if the pressure stays at 100 osi.

I'm not. Car is on the trailer now waiting to be dropped off at the dealership in the morning.

ViperJon
04-12-2015, 02:53 PM
Please post up what you find out, I hate seeing these threads.
Hoping its minor.

Jack B
04-12-2015, 03:32 PM
Who did the oul change

I'm not. Car is on the trailer now waiting to be dropped off at the dealership in the morning.

outnumbered
04-12-2015, 03:41 PM
Who did the oul change

The Dodge dealership

Brian E
04-12-2015, 04:11 PM
Take a look at this thread:

http://driveviper.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-3817.html

Just checked the code:

P0014
Bank 1 Camshaft
2 Position
Target Performance

Ok, tell me how bad this is....

KB Viper
04-12-2015, 04:23 PM
i had the exact same issue last week. my oil psi sensor went bad and caused the cam sensor light to come on too. PSI was 101 when driving and 0 when idling. if you scroll through your codes i bet you'll also see the oil pressure sensor performance code is on too. it's a 1 hour job under warranty at the dealer and will cure both lights, not bad at all.

outnumbered
04-12-2015, 04:53 PM
Take a look at this thread:

http://driveviper.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-3817.html

Thanks Brian. I read that one last night.

- - - Updated - - -

i had the exact same issue last week. my oil psi sensor went bad and caused the cam sensor light to come on too. PSI was 101 when driving and 0 when idling. if you scroll through your codes i bet you'll also see the oil pressure sensor performance code is on too. it's a 1 hour job under warranty at the dealer and will cure both lights, not bad at all.

Did you notice a drop in power?

KB Viper
04-12-2015, 06:14 PM
Thanks Brian. I read that one last night.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you notice a drop in power?

Yes I did. It went limp then power came back but psi was still jacked up till I got the sensor fixed. Dealer should have one in stock, it's a common part amongst other models.

outnumbered
04-12-2015, 06:18 PM
Yes I did. It went limp then power came back but psi was still jacked up till I got the sensor fixed. Dealer should have one in stock, it's a common part amongst other models.

Excellent. Thanks

Did you drive the car to the dealership?

KB Viper
04-12-2015, 07:42 PM
Excellent. Thanks

Did you drive the car to the dealership?

Yes I did, I drove it 300 miles before it went to the dealer. It was obvious the oil psi sensor was broke. There's no way the psi would be 101 when driving under 2k rpms then idle at 0. If you are not comfortable driving it then call roadside assistance and get a free tow.

Jack B
04-12-2015, 08:13 PM
The problem appeared extreme, you couldn't have asked for a better outcome. i guess this is the big part of what a forum is for.

Yes I did, I drove it 300 miles before it went to the dealer. It was obvious the oil psi sensor was broke. There's no way the psi would be 101 when driving under 2k rpms then idle at 0. If you are not comfortable driving it then call roadside assistance and get a free tow.

KB Viper
04-12-2015, 10:58 PM
The problem appeared extreme, you couldn't have asked for a better outcome. i guess this is the big part of what a forum is for.
yeah i spoke to Mark about it multiple times and the fact that I could rev it and the psi would jump to 101 then immediately drop to 0 made us both believe it was 100% a bad sensor.

outnumbered
04-13-2015, 05:23 AM

I don't trust rollback companies; especially given my car is slightly lower with the spring caps. So I am going through the effort of hauling it myself.

outnumbered
04-14-2015, 04:57 PM
Oil filter and oil pressure sensor were not the problem. Oil regulator has been ordered and will be tried tomorrow.

Aspirations57
04-14-2015, 06:47 PM
Oil filter and oil pressure sensor were not the problem. Oil regulator has been ordered and will be tried tomorrow.

Fingers crossed that's the fix. Have the tech(s) informed you if any internal damage could have occurred?

Jack B
04-14-2015, 07:19 PM
That is strange, if the pressure truly fluctuated between 0 to 100 psi, you should have heard a change in the engine sound, amongst other happenings. For information purposes, there was an early 2014 post where shavings were found in entrance to the pump. In that case the engine sound changed dramatically.

outnumbered
04-14-2015, 07:23 PM
Fingers crossed that's the fix. Have the tech(s) informed you if any internal damage could have occurred?

No, and I'm assuming at this point, that would be difficult to determine. However, the oil cam out clean, so that's a good sign. The dealership has also notified Chrysler...just in case. I should know tomorrow afternoon.

outnumbered
04-14-2015, 07:26 PM
That is strange, if the pressure truly fluctuated between 0 to 100 psi, you should have heard a change in the engine sound, amongst other happenings. For information purposes, there was an early 2014 post where shavings were found in entrance to the pump. In that case the engine sound changed dramatically.

No change whatsoever in sound. Also, I would think that if it were starving for oil, the engine temp would have increased significantly. It never changed.

outnumbered
04-15-2015, 04:04 PM
It wasn't the regulator. They are checking the pump now, and have been told by Chrysler engineer's to "hold tight".

darbgnik
10-01-2015, 07:23 PM

Mine just started doing this exact thing this evening. Sender range fault I believe?

I'm not too concerned, as it has to be a sender issue to act this way. Wonder if it's worth doing it myself....... hate bringing it to the dealer, even under warranty.

7TH_SIGN
10-01-2015, 08:16 PM
Very disappointing to hear this. Yet another issue these cars are having, but I have to say I am not surprised as it is a Chrysler product. My JK Jeep had numerous problems under 30k miles.

Keep us updated on what they find out. Hopefully its a easy fix as I would rather do it myself than have a dealership touch it.

darbgnik
10-01-2015, 11:38 PM
I'm not torn up about it, probably a common $50 part. Just a hassle to get it to the dealer.

Anyone know offhand where its located on the engine?

NVM, found it, lower passenger side front of the engine, might just grab one myself......

viperdriver5150
10-02-2015, 06:29 AM
Very disappointing to hear this. Yet another issue these cars are having, but I have to say I am not surprised as it is a Chrysler product. My JK Jeep had numerous problems under 30k miles.

Keep us updated on what they find out. Hopefully its a easy fix as I would rather do it myself than have a dealership touch it.

I think that has to be one of the toughest parts of owning this car. When you feel you would rather just pay for the part rather than have your local dealer touch it, that's a problem. The new Viper's have issues no doubt, but the dealer seems to be the weakest link.

7TH_SIGN
10-02-2015, 06:55 AM
I'm not torn up about it, probably a common $50 part. Just a hassle to get it to the dealer.

Anyone know offhand where its located on the engine?

NVM, found it, lower passenger side front of the engine, might just grab one myself......

Yeah easy to get to.

I think that has to be one of the toughest parts of owning this car. When you feel you would rather just pay for the part rather than have your local dealer touch it, that's a problem. The new Viper's have issues no doubt, but the dealer seems to be the weakest link.

Your absolutely right.

darbgnik
10-02-2015, 05:42 PM
I'm not afraid of the dealer experience, but I called their parts dept and they didn't have one in stock, so I'd have to bring the car up there, let them diagnose, wait for the part to come in, with the car there, then get it home......

It's sitting in my garage now, I have a lift, not that it matters, as it can be accessed from above, and the price of the part doesn't equal the extra effort I'd have to put in to bring it to the dealer. And if they recommended a tow, well that's a whole other step I'm not interested in.

I will update this thread if the part comes in tomorrow like it should, and I get it swapped in. Should be a 15 minute job, as long as the static oil level is below the sender, which it looks like.

Make no mistake, if I thought it were something major, I'd call them and tell them to come get it, lol.

Jack B
10-02-2015, 06:00 PM
The block leaks down, therefore, you will not lose much oil

I'm not afraid of the dealer experience, but I called their parts dept and they didn't have one in stock, so I'd have to bring the car up there, let them diagnose, wait for the part to come in, with the car there, then get it home......

It's sitting in my garage now, I have a lift, not that it matters, as it can be accessed from above, and the price of the part doesn't equal the extra effort I'd have to put in to bring it to the dealer. And if they recommended a tow, well that's a whole other step I'm not interested in.

I will update this thread if the part comes in tomorrow like it should, and I get it swapped in. Should be a 15 minute job, as long as the static oil level is below the sender, which it looks like.

Make no mistake, if I thought it were something major, I'd call them and tell them to come get it, lol.

darbgnik
10-02-2015, 06:05 PM
The block leaks down, therefore, you will not lose much oil

Thanks Jack, can you confirm the sensor is where I said it is?

Jack B
10-02-2015, 06:16 PM
The G1G2 were there, my damn shop manual no longer opens, the manuals are now Internet based.

Thanks Jack, can you confirm the sensor is where I said it is?

darbgnik
10-02-2015, 06:19 PM
Thanks anyway. I'm 99% sure that's where it is, was just looking for confirmation.

lmcgrew79
10-02-2015, 09:15 PM
My oil pressure sensor went bad while dealer was test driving it after the diff replacement. Service manager called me from side of road and was a bit worried, said it has oil and never started knocking, it ended up being the oil pressure sensor.

darbgnik
10-03-2015, 08:53 PM
Yup, that's all it was. Just the oil pressure sensor.

Changed it myself in the garage on the floor from above. Need a 1 1/16 deep socket(I used a wheel socket) reduced down to a 1/4" drive so I'd have room to swing the small ratchet. Like seemingly every task I've tried on this car, it would be much easier for a person with smallish hands and small forearms, oh well.......

It's all good again, and didn't have to leave my possession.

Oh, and the code it threw was P0521, for anyone who digs this thread up later.

7TH_SIGN
10-04-2015, 01:52 AM
Good to hear Brad! Being able to avoid a dealership touching your car for a repair is such a great feeling!

Jack B
10-04-2015, 04:40 PM
Same part #?

darbgnik
10-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Same part #?

Mopar 5149064AA was correct.

USCDOC
11-14-2015, 11:34 PM
Yup, that's all it was. Just the oil pressure sensor.

Changed it myself in the garage on the floor from above. Need a 1 1/16 deep socket(I used a wheel socket) reduced down to a 1/4" drive so I'd have room to swing the small ratchet. Like seemingly every task I've tried on this car, it would be much easier for a person with smallish hands and small forearms, oh well.......

It's all good again, and didn't have to leave my possession.

Oh, and the code it threw was P0521, for anyone who digs this thread up later.

Totally right, What a pain in the A$$!!!!! I did not reduce to 1/4 inch. Used 1 1/16 reduced from 1/2 to 3/8 and plenty of room. I only have 1K miles on my ride, and got the engine light with the Oil Pressure following the RPMs from Idle @ 0 PSI to 3-4K RPM @ 102PSI. Went to dodge dealer and they had a bunch in stock. Parts guy said they are in stock "for a reason" and wouldn't go into it. He also said $98 bucks, but then marked it down after I inquired about a warranty submission to $68....they are on Ebay for $58 too.... Engine light went off automatically after second startup.....20 minutes to fix b/c it is REALLY difficult to access the sensor with big hands, so I had my wife do it :p !! JK... but I did consider it after 10 minutes of trying to "find the hole" :t1567: Thanks for the post guys. Saved me many hours of dealer nonsense!

darbgnik
11-14-2015, 11:40 PM
Ya. It looks so easy to get to, until you try to get your mitts in there.....

Still easier than bringing it in though.

USCDOC
11-14-2015, 11:55 PM
Ya. It looks so easy to get to, until you try to get your mitts in there.....

Still easier than bringing it in though.

Absolutely right. Thanks again darbgnik!