PDA

View Full Version : Test Drive

The_Don
04-11-2015, 02:56 PM
I'm interested in buying a new Gen V, but I won't buy one without test driving one. Anybody know any dealerships around my area that allow test drives or any way I could drive one? I've never driven a viper before, so I'd like to get a feel for it before committing.

Thanks.

Anonymous
04-11-2015, 06:54 PM
I think your gonna have a hard time to get a test drive with the crappy dealerships around westchester.

SlateEd
04-12-2015, 09:28 PM
Croton might still have one - they had 2, sold one. I know they let that first one out for some test drives... I'm sure you'd need to look/sound serious about buying but I don't think they're running credit or any of that nonsense for a TD.

Norwalk CT finally unloaded their 3.

White Plains forget it.

Larchmont and Yonkers don't have any right now

Eastchester has a 2013 still... I've never dropped in on them so i don't know how they feel about TDs but it's about damn time they let someone test it I would think...

hope that helps! If you encounter anyone really helpful (or really not) post it up here for the group.

The_Don
04-12-2015, 10:44 PM
I know Croton sold both of theirs before I got to test drive either. I went to Eastchester and they pretty much said I have to buy the car if I want to test drive it. They have it in their building, which means they'd have to move 20+ cars out of the way for a test drive, so they said no way. Not somewhere I'd buy my viper from anyways, Croton is a lot better.

G37Sam
04-13-2015, 12:20 AM
I bought mine without a test drive. Just started it, rev'd it a few times and sold!

Madmav
04-13-2015, 08:44 AM
I'm going to look at one today. I would love to take it for a test drive, but I'm positive they won't let me��but I've seen every car review on the gen v, so I have a good idea what to expect. They know I'm serious as I secured financing. It's a 4 hour drive one way, so if I want it I'm ready, just need to sign and drive

City
04-13-2015, 08:50 AM
Have you ever driven in a Viper? Would that be helpful? I'm pretty sure you'd be able to be a passenger at a NY/CT event at some point. Not sure someone would let you drive, but ... as you might imagine, that's always a touchy issue.

Madmav
04-13-2015, 09:14 AM
Have you ever driven in a Viper? Would that be helpful? I'm pretty sure you'd be able to be a passenger at a NY/CT event at some point. Not sure someone would let you drive, but ... as you might imagine, that's always a touchy issue.

Nope never been in a moving viper before, I'm a corvette guy jumping over to the dark side. I'm expecting the ride to be very rough compared to a corvette and I'm ok with that. The looks and performance are my top two thing, I don't care to much about ride comfort if it a performance beast ��������

The_Don
04-14-2015, 02:16 AM
Okay, well seeing as I won't be able to drive one, my biggest concern is what it feels like to drive it. Generally my sports cars all had short hoods, and I like when the car feels small and nimble. How does the long hood affect your driving and does it genuinely feel small and nimble or does it feel a little big sometimes? Please be honest in your responses, thanks.

G37Sam
04-14-2015, 02:45 AM
This is definitely not like your mid/rear engined Lambo/R8/911 with short visible hoods. The hood design on this car has muscle car written all over it, which is why I love it.

That being said, It definitely feels agile and nimble. I like the balance on these cars especially with the two mode suspension. I love the feeling of sitting between the engine and transmission haha

Nine Ball
04-14-2015, 04:19 AM
The proportions of the hood, relative to the body, are long - but the car itself is small. Actually shorter than a Corvette, but wider. The cars are very nimble, as proven by their roadcourse prowess and records. Steering is the most responsive steering you'll ever drive, in any street legal production car. The most complaints aren't about the driving experience, but the blind spots and the small interior. They do feel a bit small inside, but you get used to it after driving it around some. Blind spots can be handled with proper side mirror positioning, most people set their mirrors wrong.

You'd gain a lot of the info you seek, by simply riding in the passenger seat. Maybe a member here can help?

Tony

The_Don
04-14-2015, 12:44 PM
That sounds good to me, thanks for the help guys. My final question is how easy is it to break traction once on the move (assuming you're driving in acceptable weather)? For example, would it be problematic if you floored it at 30 mph? Thanks again.

Nine Ball
04-14-2015, 01:07 PM
If you leave traction control on, it won't spin the tires when you floor it in 1st, except a little when you take off from a stop. If you leave traction control off, it will roast the tires in just about any speed from 0-60 mph in 1st gear. You shift to 2nd gear at 61 mph, when racing it.

City
04-14-2015, 01:18 PM
If you leave traction control on, it won't spin the tires when you floor it in 1st, except a little when you take off from a stop. If you leave traction control off, it will roast the tires in just about any speed from 0-60 mph in 1st gear. You shift to 2nd gear at 61 mph, when racing it.

Having only been a Gen 2 and 4 owner, I never would have thought of that. ;)

But traction is all about accelerator input and gear. 1st and 2nd gears are notorious for wheel spin, but it's all about your ability to control yourself. These cars, especially the Gen 4's and 5's can remain perfectly composed and relatively docile in most all conditions if YOU choose to be smooth. Act like a crazed 16 year old (which happens remarkably often once in the seat) and you're body shop bound.

The_Don
04-14-2015, 01:19 PM
Great, thanks again for the help.