PDA

View Full Version : Clothes wreak of exhaust after exiting vehicle

Viktimize
11-25-2013, 08:50 PM
2006 SRT-10, car has cats deleted and Corsa exhaust. I don't notice it coming through the vents really, but I drive with the top down most times. After I get out of the car from a drive my clothes just stink horribly of rich exhaust gas. Car does seem to be running a little rich and could benefit from a tune. But the exhaust shouldn't be getting in the cabin. Any ideas what I can check for? I was going to look for a cabin air filter that might not be sealing correctly and pulling in air from under the hood.

slitherv10
11-25-2013, 09:01 PM
With no cats, side exhaust, top down, I would say its a recipe for what your experiencing. The no cat option is the culprit I would say. Put cats on it and you 'll notice a considerable difference.

98intrigue
11-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Welcome to my life... Except I have a coupe. I wreak even after a 5 minute drive.

Viktimize
11-25-2013, 09:46 PM
Ok then, at least I know it's normal. lol. I'll just start carrying a bunch of cologne with me in the car.

KRATEDISEASE
11-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Ok then, at least I know it's normal. lol. I'll just start carrying a bunch of cologne with me in the car.

Buy the cheap knock off cologne that reeks. It covers up better than the expensive stuff. Try Joop. It blends in well with the smell of exhaust/gas/fumes.

ArrestMeRed04
11-26-2013, 02:45 AM
Or just put a lil bit of 110 race fuel in it, doesn't take much to make the exhaust fumes smell good.

KRATEDISEASE
11-26-2013, 03:37 AM
Or just put a lil bit of 110 race fuel in it, doesn't take much to make the exhaust fumes smell good.

I mix my cologne with some 104+ Octane Boost in a 50/50 mix......

plumcrazy
11-26-2013, 05:20 AM
a good tune can help some.

Steve M
11-26-2013, 09:20 AM
With no cats, it will always be a problem, even with a tune.

You either have to get used to it, or put some cats back on.

City
11-26-2013, 10:23 AM
You guys do realize that the exhaust fumes that affect your clothing are also affecting your lungs and brain, right. Good news is that after several hundred hours in the car, you'll no longer experience any sense of smell, ending the issue with your clothing.

Venomous1 Racing
11-26-2013, 04:52 PM
You will have a slight exhaust smell but a rich running engine will leave you "wreaking" as you put it. Have your car tuned and you'll smell 90% better. The rich exhaust is also much more hazardous to your health than a clean running catless engine. Cats will make it much better but if you're running this rich now it'll kill your cats if you installed them.
I prefer Kenneth Cole Black, DKNY "Be Delicious" or good ole Drakkar ;-)

JonB ~ PartsRack
11-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Buy a Carbon Monoxide Detector. ASAP. Then buy 2 cats.

2006 SRT-10, car has cats deleted and Corsa exhaust. I don't notice it coming through the vents really, but I drive with the top down most times. After I get out of the car from a drive my clothes just stink horribly of rich exhaust gas. Car does seem to be running a little rich and could benefit from a tune. But the exhaust shouldn't be getting in the cabin. Any ideas what I can check for? I was going to look for a cabin air filter that might not be sealing correctly and pulling in air from under the hood.

Viktimize
11-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Unfortunately I did have some high flow cats to go on the car with the exhaust. But they didn't fit worth shit, so only choice was to cut them off and weld some straight pipe in. If I have to get that stuff pulled apart again then I am doing headers at the same time. So maybe this will be a good excuse to get some headers this year :-) Hey Jon, can you get me a good deal on some high flows and headers?

Venomous1 Racing
11-26-2013, 08:10 PM
Unfortunately I did have some high flow cats to go on the car with the exhaust. But they didn't fit worth shit, so only choice was to cut them off and weld some straight pipe in. If I have to get that stuff pulled apart again then I am doing headers at the same time. So maybe this will be a good excuse to get some headers this year :-) Hey Jon, can you get me a good deal on some high flows and headers?

Remember to first correct why its so rich now. Little time with a wideband may answer that. You don't want your car running like caca due to melted cats sir. ;)

whitebeard
11-26-2013, 08:22 PM
Since Carbon Monoxide is easier for red blood cells to capture over oxygen, I would fix the issue asap. You are destroying a larger than normal number of cells as City mentioned.

BlknBlu
11-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Since Carbon Monoxide is easier for red blood cells to capture over oxygen, I would fix the issue asap. You are destroying a larger than normal number of cells as City mentioned.

So this is where all the Vette owners are coming from.

Bruce

JonB ~ PartsRack
11-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Running Rich can be as simple as too many miles (20k+) on your spark plugs. Or cooked/old wires. (10 years/20k miles)
Or a coilpak issue or even a fuel injector. Or dirty air filters. Or some of these.

Like Venomous1 says, "fix the problem first" and THEN replace the cats! Fix the combustion issue via routine maintenance first, and THEN explore tuning issues

Cats are essentially 'passive' and dont plug or fail without a direct cause. (Like a toilet!)

Yes, Viktimize, we CAN help! JonB

Viktimize
11-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Running Rich can be as simple as too many miles (20k+) on your spark plugs. Or cooked/old wires. (10 years/20k miles)
Or a coilpak issue or even a fuel injector. Or dirty air filters. Or some of these.

Like Venomous1 says, "fix the problem first" and THEN replace the cats! Fix the combustion issue via routine maintenance first, and THEN explore tuning issues

Cats are essentially 'passive' and dont plug or fail without a direct cause. (Like a toilet!)

Yes, Viktimize, we CAN help! JonB

My cats aren't failed, I don't have any cats. And my stock ones seemed to be fine before I removed them. Either way, I was planning to do some basic maintenance this winter anyway while it is parked since I am at about 27k mi now. And I am still planning to have a re-tune done as soon as it is warm out again in 6 months or so.

v10enomous
11-27-2013, 10:21 PM
I took my cats off and never looked back. Car is much better without them. Nobody had Cats before 1974 and we all survived. Then again I used to ride one of these back then and loved the smell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCzQ_V6n6AE

My car sounds great now too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RLt816Vgmg

intense
11-28-2013, 01:37 PM
^ This. If only vipers came in 2 stroke. Oh the joy of the smell of racing castor. Adding that to a viper would be nirvana.