PDA

View Full Version : Rear bumper differences between coupe and Convertible ?

slitherv10
11-25-2013, 07:51 PM
I know that the lights, spoiler lip and overall shape of the rear bumper is different between the two but, what I have noticed is that the convertible lower rear bumper vented area (where you can see through to the battery) is painted the body color or the car and on the coupe that same area was left black to match the underside of the diffuser.

Is this correct for all Gen 3's and 4's in that area?

01sapphirebob
11-25-2013, 07:59 PM
ONLY on cars with stripes. If the car had stripes the rear diffuser was blacked out. Non stripe cars had a body colored diffuser.

slitherv10
11-25-2013, 09:12 PM
ONLY on cars with stripes. If the car had stripes the rear diffuser was blacked out. Non stripe cars had a body colored diffuser.

AHHH,,Gotcha!!

Rocket
11-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Lets see if I can confuse you more:

Bitten
11-26-2013, 09:50 PM
I know that the lights, spoiler lip and overall shape of the rear bumper is different between the two but, what I have noticed is that the convertible lower rear bumper vented area (where you can see through to the battery) is painted the body color or the car and on the coupe that same area was left black to match the underside of the diffuser.

Is this correct for all Gen 3's and 4's in that area?

Funny you should ask. My coupe doesn't have stripes, so as mentioned above, has a body colored rear diffuser. Cars with stripes have a blacked out diffuser.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x150/keschete/licplates_zps026a3ee9.jpg

Bitten
11-26-2013, 09:55 PM

That's interesting, you have modified rear quarters and deck lid from a coupe. What did you do to make your car look like that? It looks interesting.

slitherv10
11-26-2013, 10:08 PM

Do you have pics of the rest of the car? Looks interesting

No hemi
11-27-2013, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't say interesting.. Bad A$$ is the word i would use!!! :dude3:

The_Greg
11-27-2013, 11:32 AM
there is a company out there that makes them... Do your research before you buy, as there are very polarizing experiences with this seller.
http://www.vipairperformance.com/servlet/the-50/SRT10--Coupe-Rear/Detail

intense
11-27-2013, 01:03 PM
That's interesting, you have modified rear quarters and deck lid from a coupe. What did you do to make your car look like that? It looks interesting.
He risked losing about 6k by giving it to vipair for the kit. That's what he did.

Rocket
11-27-2013, 01:45 PM
My Viper was a rebuild project and I loved doing every minute of it. I did take a gamble on working with Steve, and for me it worked out ok - not entirely without some drama I might add - so buyer beware - and be informed. Also purchased the front splitter as the Dodge price is insane - especially since you will scrape it no matter how hard you try not to. My previous project was a full blown street serpent kit and I wanted to keep it a little simplier this go round. Loved my Gen 1, but hated the windows and top situation. Was not entirely blown away by the Gen 3/4 rear end - and fell in love with the Street Serpent kit. Gen 4 was an upgrade - especially with 700 at the crank. I still walk out and say WOW every time I see it!

J TNT
11-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Lovin the White theme ! ;)

The_Greg
11-27-2013, 02:05 PM
My Viper was a rebuild project and I loved doing every minute of it. I did take a gamble on working with Steve, and for me it worked out ok - not entirely without some drama I might add - so buyer beware - and be informed. Also purchased the front splitter as the Dodge price is insane - especially since you will scrape it no matter how hard you try not to. My previous project was a full blown street serpent kit and I wanted to keep it a little simplier this go round. Loved my Gen 1, but hated the windows and top situation. Was not entirely blown away by the Gen 3/4 rear end - and fell in love with the Street Serpent kit. Gen 4 was an upgrade - especially with 700 at the crank. I still walk out and say WOW every time I see it!

Yeah, very excellent taste! White/black/red is reallllllllly great. Nice rebuild.

Bitten
11-28-2013, 09:33 PM
That is a nice rebuild. The white looks good with the black and red stripe.

Fatboy 18
11-29-2013, 02:48 AM
there is a company out there that makes them... Do your research before you buy, as there are very polarizing experiences with this seller.
http://www.vipairperformance.com/servlet/the-50/SRT10--Coupe-Rear/Detail

Here's what I know, the rear end parts are not produced in the USA but China! Crated and shipped. If fibreglass parts get removed from moulds too quickly they can distort in transit. This happened to a friends of mine. It caused that person a ton of work to TRY and get the shut lines correct and make the thing look right, there was also a whole load of bondo req'd with sanding and prepping to get things a best they could.

The project was a PIA. So if you do fancy the kit you need to be aware of the above dangers ;)

slitherv10
11-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Why someone would spend thousands to make their convertible into a coupe is beyond me. Save the thousands and put it into a Coupe. If a convertible car with the coupe rear is what your after then....well...

You got me !!