PDA

View Full Version : Finally White AC/ HVAC Controls!

saxon_schmauderer
04-01-2015, 07:54 PM
Hey guys,

I purchased an additional AC control unit to play around with and see if I could get the blue film off. Little did I know what a large undertaking this is. Here is a picture of the final results. (Crappy phone pic for tonight, sorry)
I wish I could say it was easy to do, however that would be a lie. It was a PITA. The blue film was actually blue paint, and the only way to remove it was to painstakingly take a fine point razor and to scrape off the blue coloring off of the back of the panel. I had to trace each detail of each little intricate symbol perfectly and glue white paper over the back of it. It took many hours and I would not wish it on my worst enemy. (see the method below)

Well I figured I would at least share, although I do not recommend it unless you have a steady hand and are super anal. Enjoy!

Steve M
04-01-2015, 09:15 PM
Looks nice, but I'll probably pass on this one. Wish it was easier.

BillyC
04-02-2015, 06:04 AM
Interesting, but why?
And, why the blue, not red?
Does the amber Air Bag light concern you too - LOL

Steve M
04-02-2015, 06:29 PM
Interesting, but why?
And, why the blue, not red?
Does the amber Air Bag light concern you too - LOL

He didn't add the blue film, he removed it.

BillyC
04-02-2015, 08:48 PM
He didn't add the blue film, he removed it.

Yes, I understood that.
The question is why did he remove the blue?
And why not the red too?

Steve M
04-02-2015, 09:13 PM
Yes, I understood that.
The question is why did he remove the blue?
And why not the red too?

It's a blue film that is used to make a yellow-ish incandescent bulb appear white. It's all fine and dandy until you go to replace it with a white LED, and instead of the thing lighting up white as intended, it lights up blue.

The intent isn't to remove all color, just the undesired blue tint that adds that hue to everything. My '02 Camaro had a similar film on the gauge cluster that drove me nuts since I wanted it to be pure white.

saxon_schmauderer
04-02-2015, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I have no reason to remove the blue & red colors for the hot and cold air. After all, the red stands for heat and the blue stands for cold air. Anyhow Steve is right, I just replaced the factory yellow incandescent lights with cool white LEDs. I have replaced all of the LED's in the car minus the window switches with white LEDs also. I think it gives a more modern look to the interior. I will report back when the whole car is finished. Perfection in the details! It is starting to look like the supercar it should have looked like.

-BillyC The orange Airbag light isn't so bad. If I get bored of it maybe I will replace that too :P

-Also I am soon going to come out with a new project soon that modernized all of the AC vents in the car to the new Gen V look. I asked about it earlier last year but no one had any input. Currently fitting them and will report back when I am done with that. All I can say is it looks AWESOME!