PDA

View Full Version : Texas Mile Results, or Lack Thereof.

FrgMstr
03-30-2015, 05:44 PM
Back from a GREAT weekend at Texas Mile. Always a fun time going fast, even if you are not going as fast as you want to.

First off let me say that I am not a professional racer by any stretch of the imagination, or will likely ever be. And I have little experience with straight line racing or roll racing. That said, we did learn a lot of things not to do this weekend.

When we left for Texas Mile the car had be previously set up to run at CoTA (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1828425). This is NOT the way to have the car setup for the Texas Mile.

Our first runs on Friday were about the only chance we had to get our 190mph+ goal runs in. Weather was great with just a couple mile per hour tailwind.

First pass was 155 at the half and 180.5 at the mile. This car did 161/186 two years ago, albeit with a ~20mph tailwind. That was with 584hp and we are now around 615hp. The car was having all sort of trouble staying planted with tons of wheelspin through all 5 gears gears. We were breaking traction above 160mph in 5th. Car was bouncing bad. Watching down the track I saw several other cars that were bouncing badly too. It has been two years since I have been out there, so I chalked it up to the track/runway aging since no maintenance is done for the most part.

On my second run after lunch, same thing with car feeling like it was coming off the ground, and it occurred to me while I was bouncing along that the adjustable suspension was set up too stiff. No way the track had gotten that bad and they were still allowing racing. We borrowed a jack in the paddock and knocked the wheels off and set the suspension to full soft. All done and back in grid in less than 30 minutes.

Run three was much better, car was staying on the ground MUCH better, but still don't get the illusion that this track is flat, as the video will show you. This was the best run of the day (ended up the best run of the weekend) at 183mph and I felt as though I had driven well all three runs. I was still getting wheelspin though, pretty badly.

That all said, the car with the new suspension was handling tremendously better down the track. It was damn near effortless to keep control with very little input.

I ran these same Mich SS tires at CoTA for three sessions in December, and I did not push them hard and I felt like they were in perfect shape for Texas Mile, but they did not feel right, or sound right either. I was getting no feedback from the tires in terms of sound. On the way to the track Saturday morning, I found a nice smooth lane of asphalt on the feeder road. I burned the tires down 7 times till I finally got them to start at least chirping at me. They were feeling a lot "grippier."

Run 4 on Saturday morning and we had strong headwinds. At this point I gave up on making 190mph with a 20mph wind in my face. Also, on previous runs we had around a 1/4 tank of gas (as we had planned for weight reduction). We filled up overnight fully to give the back some weight, and I think this helped as well.

Still some things to learn as we ran through Saturday and Sunday. The track alignment on the car's (-2.5 front and -1.7 back) rear was costing me real straight line acceleration. Going back to the feeder road and analyzing the burnout patterns on the road proved this clearly. Also, I had greatly underestimated how much the spoiler on back was limiting the car's speed. I guessed it would hold us back 2mph or so, but after a bunch of redneck calculations (and comparisons to other racers in the "exact" car (Andreas, "345sbspinnin" met up with me out there and has provided all sorts of good information here on our forums and in person, THANKS Andreas!)) I would guess that the spoiler was more in the range of 5 to 7mph. I think without the spoiler I might have done 188 or so on run 3 on Friday if not better. And most obviously the tires were outside of being what they should be. Also watching where our RPMs are across the finish line suggests that we might benefit from using a smaller tire diameter in back.

Also driving the 400 miles back home, it was apparent that the MSS tires had given up the ghost after around 15 hardcore burnouts on them. Beside looking conical now, they will slide all over hell and back on the hot pavement.

TLDR:

Did not hit our 190mph goal at Texas Mile.
Next time: No aero on the car. No negative camber on the rear. Hoosier R6 tires. Other stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cceSaxoI68o&t=1m50s

http://racecast.me/images/gallery/2015_TexasMile/IMG_5118.jpg

Nine Ball
03-30-2015, 06:28 PM
Good write-up. It isn't the brand of tires that is the problem, I went 200+ several times, on the identical MP Super Sport 19" tires, without traction issues above 3rd gear. Likely your tires were just age hardened, mine were relatively new at the time. That was with 1050 rwhp at the time. Hoosiers are better, but a costly investment if you rarely use them.

99RT10
03-30-2015, 06:34 PM
Nice Job, looks like a lot of fun. I have to go next year.

FrgMstr
03-30-2015, 07:54 PM
Good write-up. It isn't the brand of tires that is the problem, I went 200+ several times, on the identical MP Super Sport 19" tires, without traction issues above 3rd gear. Likely your tires were just age hardened, mine were relatively new at the time. That was with 1050 rwhp at the time. Hoosiers are better, but a costly investment if you rarely use them.

Good to know Tony. I had no issues with the MSS in the past either. These are not "old," just hardened from heat cycling I think.

Rocket
03-30-2015, 09:48 PM
Great write up - thanks! What shocks are you running and what pressures were you running in the tires? Thoughts on just having the rear spoiler and nothing up front? I've got the ACR splitter, coupe rear end, KW Shocks, and MPSS and it feels well balanced? We have similar power levels and I just ran the half in 161 - wind not much of a factor either way. I'm also not so sure that an aggressive warm-up burnout on the Super Sports helps much? And agreed - it does look overly "bouncy".

Vprbite
03-30-2015, 10:22 PM
That does look bouncy. My stock 02 GTS didn't bounce that mich at 165. (Not in a mile event.) one thing to note that I have seen before, the GoPro moint can hit a bit of a harmonic that can make it look wavy or in this case, bouncy. I'm not saying it wasn't, just that the camera might make it look more bouncy than it was. Though when it's your ass doing that speed, any bounce is too much.

Isnt half the fun figuring out what changes to make for next year? I would think painting red would be the first mod. : ) Hey frog, this may be a dumb question but you are running stock gearing, right?

FrgMstr
03-30-2015, 10:32 PM
Great write up - thanks! What shocks are you running and what pressures were you running in the tires? Thoughts on just having the rear spoiler and nothing up front? I've got the ACR splitter, coupe rear end, KW Shocks, and MPSS and it feels well balanced? We have similar power levels and I just ran the half in 161 - wind not much of a factor either way. I'm also not so sure that an aggressive warm-up burnout on the Super Sports helps much? And agreed - it does look overly "bouncy".

MCS Singles full soft in that video. MSS at 27 pounds.

Car drives great at 150mph+ with that spoiler on it. Feels more planted when you enter the braking zone than with it off, but I am comparing to stock coilovers. I was burning down the MSS tires because they were apparently getting hard. The burnouts helped with those greatly, but never had to do that before.

And yeah, it is a long way from smooth running down that track. Keep in mind that in an unmaintained WWII airfield built for bombers.

FrgMstr
03-30-2015, 10:38 PM
That does look bouncy. My stock 02 GTS didn't bounce that mich at 165. (Not in a mile event.) one thing to note that I have seen before, the GoPro moint can hit a bit of a harmonic that can make it look wavy or in this case, bouncy. I'm not saying it wasn't, just that the camera might make it look more bouncy than it was. Though when it's your ass doing that speed, any bounce is too much.

Isnt half the fun figuring out what changes to make for next year? I would think painting red would be the first mod. : ) Hey frog, this may be a dumb question but you are running stock gearing, right?

My last one was red, wanted to change it up. ;)

Stock rear gears. I put in an ACR-X transmission with the .8 5th gear in it.

PaulP
03-30-2015, 11:26 PM
Great write up Kyle! didn't you order diff tires for this race ? did andreas race?

FrgMstr
03-31-2015, 08:51 AM
Great write up Kyle! didn't you order diff tires for this race ? did andreas race?

No I was looking at purchasing a pair of drag radials for the event and Andreas pointed out that those are not allowed in the rules. I have a new set of MSS in the garage which I should have put on at the least, but really thought the ones on the car were fine. Live and learn. Andreas was just spectating with some of his family.

FrgMstr
03-31-2015, 08:56 AM
Bonus footage of burnout and launch from my buddy's phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuP81hQ_ZYA

345s-bspinnin
03-31-2015, 11:22 AM
Kyle, it was good seeing you out there working the Mile. There are many variables that have to be considered if you really want to wring out every last mph. As Vprbite stated, part of fun is tinkering with it. Dial it in and then let's hope October doesn't bring a 20mph headwind.

Vprbite
04-01-2015, 02:15 AM
Was that you bumping off the rev limiter during the burnout?

FrgMstr
04-01-2015, 08:55 AM
Was that you bumping off the rev limiter during the burnout?

Yeppers, in second gear.

slowhatch
04-01-2015, 12:50 PM
Good runs Kyle, I think there is a 190 in her as-is with some tinkering. You'll get there.