PDA

View Full Version : May be a forbidden question, but what the hell

Dman
03-25-2015, 11:44 AM
Just wondering if the VOA is doing anything with our VCA?

The VCA agenda for the year is out and as always, pretty thick, are we doing things like together, officially or unofficially or is there another events schedule coming out for the VOA, or should just stick my head back in my helmet & worry about track days.

BlknBlu
03-25-2015, 11:48 AM
If club monies are involved they remain separate. Here in crossroads they are welcome to non club events but there is no VCA members close here.

Bruce

ViperSmith
03-25-2015, 08:10 PM
VCA in MD seemed to stick with VCA mainly due to Lee.

John is nice and I don't think we'd be turned away - he has invited me several times.

Dman
03-26-2015, 11:56 AM

John is nice and I don't think we'd be turned away - he has invited me several times.

Yea, John is a great guy. Does a great job getting the events together and we stay in touch, he sends me all the invites. I feel like since he sponsors/pays a part of the event cost I need to be a member of something. It's awkward. Online community is here but real world is VCA. Just one of the broken side effects of silly car club drama I guess.

I guess if I go to something I'll try to work it out with him or something to contribute.

Romillos lunch is coming up in April, always was a good first event. You come up for any of them, or too far?

Dusty1
03-26-2015, 04:01 PM
We in the Houston area just finished our annual Viper Round-up and since its always been pay as you go and no club funds are expended it has always been an open event if you own a Viper. Had some Dallas VCA folks down as I understand it and they were treated the same as everyone else.

Richard

FLATOUT
03-26-2015, 04:36 PM
You guys need to create your own VOA events if you don't have a group there. And "real" world is only VCA in your area, and maybe Dallas. Everywhere else switched over to VOA long ago.

Yea, John is a great guy. Does a great job getting the events together and we stay in touch, he sends me all the invites. I feel like since he sponsors/pays a part of the event cost I need to be a member of something. It's awkward. Online community is here but real world is VCA. Just one of the broken side effects of silly car club drama I guess.

I guess if I go to something I'll try to work it out with him or something to contribute.

Romillos lunch is coming up in April, always was a good first event. You come up for any of them, or too far?

Fatboy 18
03-26-2015, 05:14 PM
We are having a European Viper event at the SPA Classic involving 3 Clubs, members from Viper Passion (French club), VOA UK and Swiss VCA.

Last year the Le mans Classic was organised by Viper Passion, this years event is being organised by Swiss VCA and next years event will be organised by the UK VOA :England:

JonB ~ PartsRack
03-26-2015, 06:31 PM

As (nice) John could tell you, lee stubbypud had not been seen at any REGIONAL events in 3 years!
Not even their famous MD Crab Feed. Hell, I made a MD-VAtech session a few years back !!!

VA MD guys don't forget NARRA-VIPER DAYS at VIR, June 5-6-7. Skip Thomas will be there. (JonB too.)

AbsolutHank
03-26-2015, 07:52 PM
Harold- that's incorrect information.

The MD/VA VOA has had exactly ZERO events to my knowledge. Prez Mark is a good dude, but completely out of the loop. It's well known locally this chapter exists as a favor to Randall and the VOA, as Mark and Randall became great friends after his wedding in Ohio where Randall got Vipers to attend.

That being said...we all get together just the same as we always did. Previously, I paid VOA dues for the website and the Homecoming event, and I paid the VCA for the local events. It's about the people and cars anyways.

FLATOUT
03-26-2015, 08:16 PM
I never saw Lee at an event while I was a member there.

Mopar Boy
03-28-2015, 10:09 AM
Harold- that's incorrect information.
Prez Mark is a good dude, but completely out of the loop. It's well known locally this chapter exists as a favor to Randall and the VOA, as Mark and Randall became great friends after his wedding in Ohio where Randall got Vipers to attend.

Not so sure that's true Hank.... Randall was not even at the wedding although I do believe a few Ohio guys did attend as the wedding was in Ohio and local to them. With or without Randall's help, Vipers would have attended. If my memory serves, Mark asked if anyone would be willing to attend his wedding during the Ohio dinner banquet the year prior to, not due to Randall pushing the request. (I was in the room during that request hence my commenting here) I can't comment on the level of friendship between Randall and Mark, but I don't believe they are close buddies.

Janni
03-28-2015, 11:00 AM
Regions and Presidencies were not "bestowed upon" FoR's (Friends of Randall) or FoA's (Friends of Anyone) but were based on folks who expressed an interest and a new region needed to be formed because of the prior club "coming over".

If the local club isn't performing and there's an issue with events and leadership, it should be resolved at a local level through communication and other folks perhaps taking a more active role in the leadership and event planning. I've never met a club president who turned down offers to help with event planning and contributing to a more active club.

There are few "perks" to the President role other than to come together occasionally (on your own dime) and perhaps have a closer relationship with some folks at Dodge - but usually it's a sense of self satisfaction of planning an event, having fun with your Viper friends, and being somewhat appreciated. So the whole idea of the chapter being a favor doesn't hold water.

Anyone on this thread have any ideas of events or would like to have a more active role - please let Mark know and in the absence of that, please feel free to email / PM me.

SHADOWSNAKE
03-30-2015, 10:52 PM
I signed up with VOA last July (while at Homecoming) and again this January. I've never been contacted by Mark, or anyone from MD/VA VOA. John, however, still passes on invites to events and has been incredibly welcoming.

Hank is Absolutely (pun) right, in this region nobody seems to care about which club you pledge allegiance to, just that you like Vipers and want to hang out with other enthusiasts. That's exactly what I'll continue to do.

--DMan, sent you a PM

Dman
03-31-2015, 08:26 AM
I don't know about Lee, I met him twice, seemed nice to me, when someone doesn't know you yet makes an hour of friendly conversation about cars, that's my definition of nice for a car club, FWIW.

All the other stuff, man, who knows or cares. I do know John M is awesome, the guy ran our club here with events constantly, and he still does. I don't know what Lee's role was locally, but John was/is the man. I've not seen or heard anything from the VOA & they get my $, John has sent me messages about my gen5 purchase and has his normal 20 event agenda for the year, and he gets no $ from me. Seems wrong.

We just don't know about all the drama, I know I don't care. Sounded like some uncool things, I love having JonB at arms reach for example, he's helped me on my gen5 like crazy, just like prior years, etc. But in MD you're either going to VCA events free-loading, or joining 2 clubs, or ....

Don't mean it as a dig, but as Ryan says, other than this forum, do we have a VOA "club" or chapter or something in MD? I've gotten invites to TX and Ohio and others, but that's a little far for cars & coffee or a tech party, lol.

It's just weird. I haven't talked to JohnM about it, but since I'm in 'what the hell' mode, I'll ask him his opinion, he's one of the most viper enthusiastic guys I've ever met.

Shadow - PM replied, looking forward to crossing paths & representing ;-)

Dave