PDA

View Full Version : Is stereo amp working?

James430
03-23-2015, 11:44 AM
Had a Clarion stereo with slide out screen,map,etc..installed awhile back in the gen 2 and was wondering if the stock amplifier in trunk can be hooked up to it or how do I tell if it hooked up now?....Not very electrically inclined......If it's not hooked up and I don't need it I'll probably yank it out for more space.

Thanks

Vombomb
03-23-2015, 11:50 AM
If you had it installed I would hope the installers used a wiring harness to adapt the aftermarket to the OEM harness, meaning the amp would be tied into the harness, connected to the stereo. The amp is actually used for your speakers, as it amplifies the signal from the head unit to the speakers. If everything is working, leaving it alone is probably the best bet. The miniscule amount of space that the amp would free up upon removal isn't worth it.

James430
03-23-2015, 12:15 PM
The place that installed it is out of business now......Is there a connection on the amp that you can get to and unplug? Looks like that's the only way to tell if it's working or not.....Have good volume on stereo but that might be just the stereo??

Thanks

Vombomb
03-23-2015, 12:24 PM
Well there's 2 ways. There's a fuse you can pull on the amp it's self, or you can pull the connections for the amp to the head unit. Unbolt the amp and you'll gain access to them, then just pull the fuse or pull the connectors and you'll have your answer.

James430
03-23-2015, 12:48 PM
Thanks again....Your another reason that makes this forum so great...Hope you didn't take your amp out to take that pic for me :)

Vombomb
03-23-2015, 01:46 PM
Thanks again....Your another reason that makes this forum so great...Hope you didn't take your amp out to take that pic for me :)

No prob, let me know if you still have issues, and we'll keep at it!