PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding an ACR-X

schulmann
10-24-2013, 09:16 PM
We have an ACR-X with a frontal impact. It hit a track fence at 100mph.
The Viper can be repaired but we have some questions regarding on how it has to be done.

In case of a frontal impact what parts of the frame can be straightened on an ACR-X ?
I was told that all parts of the frame must be replace. (cut and weld).

Or only engin mount and suspension mount points must be replaced ?
And everything else can be straightened ?

XSnake
10-25-2013, 08:25 AM
I'd call and speak with Ryan at Scharfs. They probably have an entire front clip that you could purchase

Tom Sessions
10-25-2013, 11:21 AM
It all depends on how bad the crash was. So not a cut and dry answer. You need to look at the belly pan under the car. Is it wrinkled? If so you may have racked the frame which will require a good frame shop to pull it back right if it can be done at all. If i remember correctly DMS South where the cars were sold from has all the frame pieces to do the repair. But you would need to check with them to make sure.

Dan Cragin
10-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Tom is correct, first thing you should do is get the car to a frame shop. Proper proceedure is to section damaged frame areas. If all the pickup points for the suspension can be properly aligned then your ok. In some cases a good fabricator can repair and strengthen damaged areas. In some cases the frame is no longer square and cannot be repaired no matter how much work you do. For those who have done Viper's before, its often easy.

Janni
10-25-2013, 12:38 PM
Agree with the above - cut off and replace the damaged frame parts and even if it can be straightened back out - a decent idea to reinforce the points that had to be straightened. I always worry about metal fatigue when you have pulled something back into alignment. Might be okay for a street car- but the load that a race car gets subjected to...

JonB ~ PartsRack
10-25-2013, 01:47 PM
What These guys n gals say.......

Janni
10-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Oh- and check with JonB on parts!!!!! You'll need other parts if you tweaked the frame that much!

Scott Mannny
10-25-2013, 02:02 PM
What These guys n gals say.......

Great to have you here Jon!!!!!!!!!!!

v10addiction
11-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Normally we would replace the entire clip if the car is going to run Spec ACR-X, if not, we straighten them and reenforce the damaged areas and cage.

I have an entire ACR-X frame complete if you are interested.

It was damaged on the drivers side foot well, but is quite straight and usable.

It was involved in a wreck at Road America, and we had a custom built ACR conversion chassis ready to go, so we elected to tear the X down and move everything to the other chassis, which was lighter and had a better stronger cage.

PM me if you need it.

BlknBlu
11-01-2013, 09:35 PM
If you can find Rick Maxwell who used to repair all of Bob Woodhouse's Comp Coupes, he may be able to assist too.

Bruce

schulmann
11-05-2013, 12:22 PM
This frame project is getting tricky, the ACR-X doesn't belong to me. It was sent to a frameshop but came back to the owner.
According to some the frame should not be straigtened but cut and welded with new parts (because it is an acr-x).

ACRucrazy
11-05-2013, 02:23 PM
What number ACR-X was crashed?

Bill Pemberton
11-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Depending on the cost , you might want to find out what the gentleman is offering the used full frame for? Cutting and welding might be one choice , but a clip itself is usually quite expensive and for the finite measurements you will have the car set up for track use , a full frame may be your best overall option, long term. Keep in mind that one of the first questions asked from those who race is whether the frame has been damaged and you may find that the cost long run is less if you can tell a future , prospective buyer , that it has a new frame.

Tom Sessions
11-05-2013, 02:43 PM
The used frame in question took a very hard hit on the drivers side. Enough to break the mag. So it would not be a like new frame

Bill Pemberton
11-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Tom is super reliable and one of the best Viper Techs in the Nation, so if he states that the used frame is suspect, take his word for it -- solid guy and straight shooter.

Ricketts
11-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Tom is super reliable and one of the best Viper Techs in the Nation, so if he states that the used frame is suspect, take his word for it -- solid guy and straight shooter.

My thoughts exactly!

schulmann
11-06-2013, 10:23 AM
I saw the accident and the Viper after. It can be fixed however there is an "ideological" difference between the owner / bodyshop / owner's mecanic on how to fix the car. It is an interested technical subject.

Basically the frameshop did a lot of street viper rebuilds but for some unknow reasons to me according to some guys the ACR-X should be rebuilt differently from a street Viper. So my question is : "for the exactly same domage, a race Viper should be fixed with a different procedure than the Street Viper ?"

TooBlue
11-06-2013, 03:59 PM
By chance have you taken any measurements of the cage to see if it is tweaked?
Maybe some cracked paint on the cage tubing?
That can tell you a lot also.

If the cage is bent, it will be very difficult to straighten the frame correctly. Not to mention how the car will drive on track.

Good Luck...!

Snakeracer
11-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Acr-X's were regular street cars that were then modified. Fixing a frame on one should be no different than fixing a street car frame as they're both identical. There are slight modifications on an x but they were done after you received the car originally. I know one fella here who's car frame was compromised in a wreck and he rebuilt his car using a street car frame and it's no different.

Edit: I'm speaking of outside of caged frame.

ACRucrazy
11-08-2013, 12:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z-IVsgNjnw

Late Apex
11-13-2013, 08:27 AM
That is an incredible video. Well put together. Thought I had seen them all.

Tom Francis
11-16-2013, 10:42 AM
The ACRX frame repair is no different from the production car same measurements and procedures.

Tom Sessions is correct if the floor shows any buckling the frame should not be repaired. I have frame components in stock for both the ACRX and the Competition Coupe.

Henry
11-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Hi Tom - good to see you here!!

v10addiction
01-02-2014, 06:06 PM
The used frame in question took a very hard hit on the drivers side. Enough to break the mag. So it would not be a like new frame

It did not break the mag header.

v10addiction
01-02-2014, 06:42 PM

The frame mentioned is already back on the track, so no longer available.

David Pintaric
01-26-2014, 11:00 PM
What number ACR-X was crashed?

I'd like to know, too! ;)