PDA

View Full Version : ACR exhaust mod

commandomatt
11-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Hi all,

Thinking about installing a new header / exhaust system on my 2010 ACR.

I dont even have the car yet (wont be 'home' until January) but want to start thinking about it.

I know there has been tons of exhaust threads on the 'other site' but would like to start fresh here. I have Corsa's on my 06 but no headers. Its sounds pretty good but I want more.

Goal:

- Have a powerful and loud enough system that will turn some heads yet not be so obnoxious that I cant take the car for a longer drive
- Make some usable power
- Not set of a bunch of codes and have to mess with that
- Absolutely love the 'Pops' and want to retain that if possible

Give me some ideas. Also include prices I can expect. I may have it installed before the car leaves the dealership

Thanks

Matt

Late Apex
11-24-2013, 10:59 AM
You will get tons of ideas on this and it depends on how much you want to spend and possibly deal with CEL issues too. Hope there is a good Viper tech at your dealer too for the install. On my 09 ACR I just did the Belanger cat back and has popping with a better sound than Corsa IMO and NO cel issues. For the most HP gains and loudness go with the complete Belanger headers and exhaust along with the Mopar PCM. Jon at PartsRack can hook you up on any of these and also send to your dealer for install. Cat back only around 1200 installed. Plan to spend around 3800 for the complete system plus another 1200 or so for the PCM. Hi flow cats is another add option. Its all $$$$$

ACRucrazy
11-24-2013, 11:05 AM
ACR-X headers, corsa, spark plug non foulers after the cats (stock pcm) to retain the pops but Mopar PCM would be better IMO and a ported stock lower intake. Should be 600 rwhp give or take.

commandomatt
11-24-2013, 11:26 AM
So, I will loose the Decel Pop when going to a Mopar PCM, yet there may be enough of an improvement that its worth going that route....does that sounds about right ?

I want to stay under 5K total

Dont want to get into any engine work at this time

BTW...if it makes any difference, I dont live in a place where the car has to pass any type of emissions testing.

Matt

BlknBlu
11-24-2013, 11:48 AM
American racing headers and a single cat delete sound amazing.

Bruce

commandomatt
11-24-2013, 11:54 AM
American racing headers and a single cat delete sound amazing.

Bruce

Bruce,

You got a PM

BlknBlu
11-24-2013, 11:55 AM
So do you

Bruce

commandomatt
11-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Ok, so I got 3 replies....and 3 different headers. This is getting harder than I was hoping for.

- Belanger
- ACR-X
- American Racing

Any negative feedback on the 3 above so I can eliminate one ?

Thanks

Matt

BlknBlu
11-24-2013, 12:27 PM
ACR-X and American racing are one in the same. Those are your 2 best options, but that is just headers, You still need to decide on muffler choices and Cats/no cats or aftermarket cats. A lot of combinations to work with.

take your time

Bruce

RedTanRT/10
11-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Headers and a cat back will be much louder than your '06 with a corsa

If your adding headers for more hp/trq suggest the venom ECU, but the decal popping goes away

Both header choices are good, advantages to both, Belanger more lower, ARH dyno champ.

Headers will create a CEL, it's when not if, venom ecu eliminates CEL

If your looking to balance sound and power it would be a good idea to find someone local and hear their viper at idle as well as under load. Good luck, Mike

commandomatt
11-24-2013, 12:59 PM
I like the lower, deeper sound. If that means Belanger, so be it.

I was going to take the approach of decide on the best header, than based on that decide on what I use as far as mufflers/cats

There is no one close to me. A Gen II 50 miles away but other than that, 5-6 hours. So it would be hard to listen to something in person.

I agree with Bruce not to rush this. At the same time, the car is in a better place to get worked on now as opposed to when its shipped this way

Matt

FLATOUT
11-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Installing ACRX headers at the moment, but switching to the new M&M 1 7/8 primary tri y's as soon as they can get me a set made, no cats and the new M&M 3 1/2 inch catback. Should make a shit ton of power.

Not sure what your skill level is but I install them myself so I know they are done right, and I can heat shield anything extra that I see fit.

I am also running the Mopar ECU.

01sapphirebob
11-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Ill have to post up a video of my setup. Belanger headers, hi flow cats, and cat back exhaust. It sounds really good. :)

commandomatt
11-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Ill have to post up a video of my setup. Belanger headers, hi flow cats, and cat back exhaust. It sounds really good. :)

Do it...would like to hear it

Matt

commandomatt
11-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Installing ACRX headers at the moment, but switching to the new M&M 1 7/8 primary tri y's as soon as they can get me a set made, no cats and the new M&M 3 1/2 inch catback. Should make a shit ton of power.

Not sure what your skill level is but I install them myself so I know they are done right, and I can heat shield anything extra that I see fit.

I am also running the Mopar ECU.

So is this a brand new system or just new for Gen IV ?

Sounds interesting as long as its not to obnoxious on longer rides

When do you think you will have yours ?

Matt

FLATOUT
11-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Should be the same system design just with larger primaries. Should help people take better advantage of ported gen IV/gen V manifolds and ported heads.

I would think I am a month away from having them maybe two. They have one set in use working great and I'll get them on the dyno as soon as I get them on my car. I'm not looking for something extremely loud either so I'll let you know how it goes.

Matt

01sapphirebob
11-25-2013, 08:26 AM
Do it...would like to hear it

Matt

Ask and you sahll receive...:)

First video is at start up...
http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t558/weilandfrk/th_8B3510DC-2FAE-4DF9-ACAE-E93279EC07F2-1383-0000012BE6597A5B_zpse49cd056.jpg (http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t558/weilandfrk/8B3510DC-2FAE-4DF9-ACAE-E93279EC07F2-1383-0000012BE6597A5B_zpse49cd056.mp4)

This is after the car has been at idle for about five minutes...

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t558/weilandfrk/th_EB1D5C4F-3FE1-4096-9724-C2929BE979D8-1383-0000012DF02E5BD7_zps79b1e323.jpg (http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t558/weilandfrk/EB1D5C4F-3FE1-4096-9724-C2929BE979D8-1383-0000012DF02E5BD7_zps79b1e323.mp4)

Again...full Belanger exhaust. Headers, high flow cats, and catback exhaust. :)

commandomatt
11-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Sapphire,

That sounds good. Thanks for posting.

At this time I am going to step back and see how Flatout does with the new, larger system. That may set me up better for additional mods later on.

Matt

01sapphirebob
11-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Sapphire,

That sounds good. Thanks for posting.

At this time I am going to step back and see how Flatout does with the new, larger system. That may set me up better for additional mods later on.

Matt

No problem. :) Good luck!

mjorgensen
11-25-2013, 09:38 AM
60+ sets of the Belanger headers and Corsa catbacks installed here, Belanger equipped car will walk a AR car all day long, I would suggest the Mopar PCM though.

ACRucrazy
11-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Does anyone have a dyno graph comparing the ACR-X headers and Belanger headers on the same car?
I have yet to see one.

IndyRon
11-25-2013, 07:30 PM
60+ sets of the Belanger headers and Corsa catbacks installed here, Belanger equipped car will walk a AR car all day long, I would suggest the Mopar PCM though.

I find this hard to believe. Is the area under the curve that much better with the Belanger? Do you have dyno overlays comparing the two?

01sapphirebob
11-25-2013, 08:04 PM
I find this hard to believe. Is the area under the curve that much better with the Belanger? Do you have dyno overlays comparing the two?

While I have never had any dealings with Mark personally I would trust his word.

mjorgensen
11-26-2013, 09:43 AM

I do not have any sheets here and I can tell you that on the dyno the ACRX header looks better, but on the road a Belanger car will always be faster, I have even had that confirmed by a guy very close to the American Racing header project...

While I have never had any dealings with Mark personally I would trust his word.

Thank you, nobody is ever always right, I know that, so everyone "could be right". I will never claim to know it all, I do believe in the Belanger products though and offer them without reservation to my customers.

JonB ~ PartsRack
11-26-2013, 06:15 PM
I have to side with Jorgensen (again)

The 'comparo' of Belanger and AR is not as long, since Belanger began making Viper headers in 1992, and AR is a relative latecomer. Some Belanger advantages:

Belanger has Tri-Y easy install +Velocity cone collectors for more Torque thru the full RPM band.

Power band starts LOW, not HIGHer in RPM range. More pull from the line. More mid-range torque. Wins at the STRIP.

Metals Matter. Stainless runs 220f hotter than Alumanized steel. Belanger is alumanized. Stainless = high picth tone, Aluminized = deep/muscle tone, was Used in musclecars of 60s-70s.

Belanger INCLUDES Jet-Hot ceramic coating. Extra cost @ AR and Coated Stainless still remains 200f hotter than Belanger!

FACT: ACR-X header was chosen for 3 reasons: and none of those reasons were "we want the best"

1) Cheaper by many hundred$;

2) Fast build commitment of 50 sets. PERIOD.

3) Spec-Race Series; All cars 'the same handicap on everything.'

Purpose built race cars like ACR-X dont have much that is vulnerable to HEAT. All was REMOVED ! Street cars do: CHOOSE BELANGER [or MM ] for this ALONE !!

JonB ~ PartsRack
11-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Does anyone have a dyno graph comparing the ACR-X headers and Belanger headers on the same car? I have yet to see one.

McLaren does......when belangers were chosen for VCCs.

Arrow does.....when Belangers were FIRST chosen for ACR-X, but Lou could/would not build 50 sets fast enuf or cheap enuf.

Drags at VOIs: All Vipers. Stand in the pit lane like I did for 2 VOIs as starter-stager. Also starter at Viper Nats #1 and Viper Vs. Viper Drags in AZ..... Belanger WINS. Stop-light Grand Prix? BELANGER WINS.

From 120mph to 160mph on the track? AR by a nose, accelerating at WOT.

How often are YOU at WOT? Race cars at WOT far more than street cars. AR has an advantage at WOT. Most owners need low end more than high end HP/TQ.

ACRucrazy
11-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Would love to see the dyno charts comparing the two.

ACRucrazy
11-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Actually, I am really excited to see some results/dyno charts from the new BBG headers.

SNKEBIT
11-27-2013, 05:37 PM

Matt

Sent you a PM

MtnBiker
11-28-2013, 10:06 AM
I have full Belanger system plus the Mopar ECU. Yes, the awesome decel pops went away, but when shifting between 5000-6000 RPMs there is a very loud pop that just makes me shout with joy every time I hear it. My setup scares young children and old ladies :). Just the way the Viper is supposed to be. And when I am at the track after a session, people come up to me and tell me how awesome the car sounds. But it wasn't cheap.

commandomatt
12-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks for all the feedback.

Decided to go with a full Belanger system plus PCM.

Cant wait to get this car home and crank it up. May have to do some laps in my storage building as the conditions outside are just plain nasty.

Matt

DreadLox
12-20-2013, 08:21 AM
Thanks for all the feedback.

Decided to go with a full Belanger system plus PCM.

Cant wait to get this car home and crank it up. May have to do some laps in my storage building as the conditions outside are just plain nasty.

Matt

Good choice man. I have American Racing headers and Corsa Catback (no cats) and tho I love the sound of mine, I can't get over what the Belanger setup sounds like, so I may swap mine down the road (borla is pretty good too, I think Belanger is the loudest of all).

commandomatt
12-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Good choice man. I have American Racing headers and Corsa Catback (no cats) and tho I love the sound of mine, I can't get over what the Belanger setup sounds like, so I may swap mine down the road (borla is pretty good too, I think Belanger is the loudest of all).

Thanks....I just got word back from the guys installing it and they said its deep, powerful and loud. I am really getting anxious to get it home now. Another month....it will seem like forever.

BTW Dread.....your ACR is the best one I have seen to date. Of course, mines not home yet but the way yours show on the picture thread.....just awesome !!

Matt

Swanny
12-27-2013, 12:35 PM
I have full Belanger system plus the Mopar ECU. Yes, the awesome decel pops went away, but when shifting between 5000-6000 RPMs there is a very loud pop that just makes me shout with joy every time I hear it. My setup scares young children and old ladies :). Just the way the Viper is supposed to be. And when I am at the track after a session, people come up to me and tell me how awesome the car sounds. But it wasn't cheap.

I have full Belanger and Mopar PCM on my 2010 ACR and the decel pops did not disappear entirely. I think I'm one of a few where this has been the case. On a hard decel the pops are still there. Maybe you'll be lucky and keep your 'pops', too.

MI Viper
12-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Just found this thread, and I definitely want to do the Belanger's full exhaust next year on our 09 vert, how much more benefit would there be to adding the Mopar PCM? I know after chatting with ACRucrazy that he stated "the PCM in general helps with driveability. It reduces throttle lag, increases the rev limit, ignores the downstream 02 sensors, gets rid of the skip shift and adds anywhere from 0(according to some owners) to 10-15whp. On a car with Belangers I would guess it would add 10hp give or take while improving the overall driveability". And as a side benefit the Belanger's full system should give me some cabin heat reduction.... BTW, ACRucrazy thanks for the info.
Happy New Year,
Thanks,
MI V.

DreadLox
12-30-2013, 01:23 AM
Thanks....I just got word back from the guys installing it and they said its deep, powerful and loud. I am really getting anxious to get it home now. Another month....it will seem like forever.

BTW Dread.....your ACR is the best one I have seen to date. Of course, mines not home yet but the way yours show on the picture thread.....just awesome !!

Matt

Thanks Matt! I really appreciate that :) btw I am looking forward to you posting some pics of your ride once you get it. I'm also stoked to know if you are going to post a video of the exhaust! Excited for you man! I know how I was when I picked mine up. Good luck

Derek Short
03-09-2014, 07:54 PM
Any update yet? wouldn't mind having some more info. and hearing a video of the set up

commandomatt
03-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Any update yet? wouldn't mind having some more info. and hearing a video of the set up

Car is home but still tucked away in the garage. Weather is still not wanting to play nice.

The very few miles I was able to put on it before she got put away, were really easy since it was cold and I want to give it some nice and careful break-in miles before opening it up.

First impression.......really great sound. Quite different than the stock header/Corsas on my 06. Deeper and more of a rumble.

Next month the roads should be cleared up and I have trip scheduled to Moab, Utah for their big annual car show

Will report back

Matt

Derek Short
03-11-2014, 12:04 AM
^^^^ Great looking forward to it.

videos at start up and idle. and a good rev would be nice. Also if possible maybe have someone film you doing a drive by and a fly by ;)

MtnBiker
06-27-2014, 03:00 PM
I have full Belanger and Mopar PCM on my 2010 ACR and the decel pops did not disappear entirely. I think I'm one of a few where this has been the case. On a hard decel the pops are still there. Maybe you'll be lucky and keep your 'pops', too.

Swanny, I am honored...I was your only post so far. Indeed, my decel pops seem to have come back to a degree. On hard decel as you stated.

Late Apex
06-27-2014, 05:00 PM
Ill have to post up a video of my setup. Belanger headers, hi flow cats, and cat back exhaust. It sounds really good. :) Ditto that for sure as I recently did just this. Much louder as a Viper should be and really added some get go as well.

SteveDoten@ARHeaders
06-27-2014, 05:59 PM
I have to side with Jorgensen (again)

The 'comparo' of Belanger and AR is not as long, since Belanger began making Viper headers in 1992, and AR is a relative latecomer. Some Belanger advantages:

Belanger has Tri-Y easy install +Velocity cone collectors for more Torque thru the full RPM band.

Power band starts LOW, not HIGHer in RPM range. More pull from the line. More mid-range torque. Wins at the STRIP.

Metals Matter. Stainless runs 220f hotter than Alumanized steel. Belanger is alumanized. Stainless = high picth tone, Aluminized = deep/muscle tone, was Used in musclecars of 60s-70s.

Belanger INCLUDES Jet-Hot ceramic coating. Extra cost @ AR and Coated Stainless still remains 200f hotter than Belanger!

FACT: ACR-X header was chosen for 3 reasons: and none of those reasons were "we want the best"

1) Cheaper by many hundred$;

2) Fast build commitment of 50 sets. PERIOD.

3) Spec-Race Series; All cars 'the same handicap on everything.'

Purpose built race cars like ACR-X dont have much that is vulnerable to HEAT. All was REMOVED ! Street cars do: CHOOSE BELANGER [or MM ] for this ALONE !!

Jon, with all due respect, if you knew anything about header design you'd know that Tri-Y headers are EXTREMELY application specific. We won't even get into the Tri-Y on a V10, which other that packaging, makes no sense at all. Even on V8's, there is absolutely no "one size fits all" set of Tri'-Y's that work with every application. Unlike other brands, ARH is not a one size fits all company with any of the applications we provide headers for, including the Viper. We fine tune our primary sizes and collectors to suit the needs of the application. We've slaughtered Tri-Y design headers on the dyno and race tracks over the last 8 years more times than you can count and on a wide range of drag/road race applications. Ask anyone in the Corvette world what happened when Tri-Y's were compared to our 4-1's on C7's. It was a blood bath.

The fact that ARH is only on the scene since 2005 is irrelevant. Besides the ACR-X, we're also used exclusively on all seventy V10 powered Drag Pak Challengers, Cobra Jet Mustangs and COPO Camaro's. Explain to me how that happened in such a short time? I'll save you the time and tell you that we build an excellent product that meets or exceeds the expectations of our customers. Dodge, Ford and GM did extensive testing while comparing our headers to other brands and we won those contracts based on results. Price had absolutely nothing to do with it.

The 100% US made 304 S/S we use to build our systems holds the heat 200% better than mild steel, coated or not. We recommend coating only on the most severe high HP applications. That amounts to about 10 sets a year (considering we move hundreds of sets a month) and when we do coat we only recommend Swain Tech. There are no better coatings I assure you. Mild steel headers are a thing of the past. In our industry it's just an inexpensive and antiquated way to manufacture. In fact, every high end manufacturer of headers gave up on mild steel back in 2000. If there was any advantage to mild steel, other than reduced manufacturing cost, we'd be doing it simply because we want the best for our customers.

I hope that clears things up a bit for those that are reading this thread. If you have a Viper and are considering headers please feel free to call us. We will gladly take the time to discuss in detail what you have planned for your Viper and what we can offer you to meet your goals. Thanks.