PDA

View Full Version : MP4-12C vs Gen V

mnc2886
11-24-2013, 08:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1fdaGox9Z0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The Viper did really well if you ask me. I think if the ACR can lose 200 lbs it would've been even. It's hard to hang with the McLaren as light as it is. This shows the Gen V has plenty of power and SRT's focus IMO should be on weight.

slitherv10
11-24-2013, 09:04 AM
Well, to be honest the McLaren is 3200lbs which is not much heavier than the Viper. drivers weight would make more the difference there. The motor is 616 Twin turbos and 443ftlbs torque. With those stats, the Viper on paper shows better numbers. Most of the power from the McLaren though comes at 2000 rpms, that is from a car that red lines a just over 8000 rpm's and only a 3.8 liter motor. Not bad at all !
The twin turbos is the big difference here.

Don't forget the McLaren flirts with a 220,000 dollar price tag. almost double the Vipers. Those days of comparing the Viper with the big boys and coming out on top are gone. The Viper is now among its own level of play. The gap between them and the super exotics is back to normal again. Back in the 90's other than one or two other half million dollar autos, the Viper ruled the planet.

Troublemaker
11-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Just to stay within sight of the MP4-12C is a feat alone. That car is no joke, almost engineering perfection.

FLATOUT
11-24-2013, 09:25 AM
The McLaren runs mid 10's and traps 135mph stock in the quarter. This is similar to a gen 4 with headers, ported intake, Mopar ECU, no cats, and cat back.

Just to put things in perspective.

ViperSmith
11-24-2013, 10:09 AM
The McLaren is a mean machine. The suspension is what is killer with it, allowing it to run 10's all day long.

More so, McLaren is where SRT needs to be going as a whole. A racing program that generates awesome road cars. Their dealer network is small, but their dealers do what is needed to close sales. From test drives to letting people take cars home overnight to see if they like them.

I enjoyed driving it, but I can see how it would get "boring" after awhile. Much like the GT-R, it is just too well refined all around, IMHO.

Next Phase
11-24-2013, 10:31 AM
The transmission in the McLaren is what killse the Viper. Everytime the Viper shifts it loses ground.

ieem01172
11-24-2013, 10:36 AM
The transmission in the McLaren is what killse the Viper. Everytime the Viper shifts it loses ground.

You sir, are right !

mnc2886
11-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Well, to be honest the McLaren is 3200lbs which is not much heavier than the Viper. drivers weight would make more the difference there. The motor is 616 Twin turbos and 443ftlbs torque. With those stats, the Viper on paper shows better numbers. Most of the power from the McLaren though comes at 2000 rpms, that is from a car that red lines a just over 8000 rpm's and only a 3.8 liter motor. Not bad at all !
The twin turbos is the big difference here.

Don't forget the McLaren flirts with a 220,000 dollar price tag. almost double the Vipers. Those days of comparing the Viper with the big boys and coming out on top are gone. The Viper is now among its own level of play. The gap between them and the super exotics is back to normal again. Back in the 90's other than one or two other half million dollar autos, the Viper ruled the planet.

McLaren weighs 200 lbs less than the Viper and that's before lightweight factory options from McLaren. Compare dry weight to dry weight and it is close to 300 lbs. Big difference.

http://media.mclarenautomotive.com/release/70/

VENOM V
11-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Straight line is one thing but I haven't driven with a McClaren on the road course yet that can keep up with the Viper. I can read Road and Track to know who will win in a straight line but at the road course, driver's skill plays a bigger role.

ViperSmith
11-24-2013, 01:48 PM
In the end, I really don't get the point of comparing cars like this to the Viper.

The 12C is fantastic all around. But, lets be fair - it requires very little skill to do 10 second launches in it. It is point and shoot and done. Where, if you are into dragging, you have to have skill and learn to launch a manual like the Viper. To me, that seems more rewarding.

The "It'll run 10's all day long" is nice, but if you are into the "sport" of drag racing, isn't that a bit of a snooze fest?

I think the Viper needs DCT to compete in the future, but I think the Viper will lose a bit of its soul doing so.

plumcrazy
11-24-2013, 01:52 PM
great street racing car.... love it !

F2V
11-24-2013, 02:18 PM
I think the Viper needs DCT to compete in the future, but I think the Viper will lose a bit of its soul doing so.

Maybe so, but if they do, might as well go all the way, and throw in seat and wheel warmers...I'm freezing my butt off here today ;)

slitherv10
11-24-2013, 03:10 PM
McLaren weighs 200 lbs less than the Viper and that's before lightweight factory options from McLaren. Compare dry weight to dry weight and it is close to 300 lbs. Big difference.

http://media.mclarenautomotive.com/release/70/

So the new Viper weighs 3400 lbs? If your stating that the McLaren weighs 200 lbs less than the viper before adding the options, then it must be a smaller difference no? I also stated that drivers weight in the video would make the difference as well. As does the amount of gas each car had as well and if there was a passenger in either car. If I weigh 260lbs and you weigh 160 and I have a quarter tank gas and you have a full tank as well as a passenger, that race would not say a thing as far as who was faster. Drivers race as well at that level of play. these guys I'm guessing were not professionals either.
Anyway, facts are facts, the McLaren is a much faster car form here to there when put under the same circumstances. Again , comparing a car that is almost twice the cost of a Viper is not apples to apples comparison.

FikseGTS
11-24-2013, 04:47 PM
that McLaren weighed in at 3,118 pounds at the track without driver.... snoozefest? it's a rocket, 0-60 in 2.8, 0-100 in 6 flat with no AWD... very comfortable in normal modes, and a monster in track modes...

Space Truckin
11-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Anyway, facts are facts, the McLaren is a much faster car form here to there when put under the same circumstances. Again , comparing a car that is almost twice the cost of a Viper is not apples to apples comparison.

I always love it when "they" compare the Viper with others costing 50-100% more. NOT

FikseGTS
11-24-2013, 04:57 PM
it's ok to compare the Viper to a more expensive car when it wins though? :)

I always love it when "they" compare the Viper with others costing 50-100% more. NOT

ViperSmith
11-24-2013, 05:07 PM
that McLaren weighed in at 3,118 pounds at the track without driver.... snoozefest? it's a rocket, 0-60 in 2.8, 0-100 in 6 flat with no AWD... very comfortable in normal modes, and a monster in track modes...

You missed the point.

FikseGTS
11-24-2013, 05:33 PM
I don't think so.... you keep shifting and I'll keep winning... J/K... I have fast manual cars as well and the 12C is no snoozefest when compared to them...

You missed the point.

Newport Viper
11-24-2013, 07:49 PM
The McLaren is just so badass! I see them around my hood all day long. Really modern. I just give them a thumbs up and go on my way. I can hardly wait to see the P1...

Policy Limits
11-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Ahhh the 2 second club: MP4, Aventador, GT-R, 918, makes 0-60 mph in mid to low 3's seem a bit slow and outdated even though that's plenty fast

KRATEDISEASE
11-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Its just nice to have the practicality of taking a Viper to the local dodge/SRT dealer for service. Try to find a Mc dealer while driving cross country and having an issue. Then all of a sudden those few seconds do not matter any more.

Nine Ball
11-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Some of you guys take these comparisons too seriously. The MP4 is a fast car, the outcome was as expected. I don't get into the whole "bang for the buck" nonsense arguments when we are discussing cars that are both over six figures pricing. Discount chatter doesn't apply to either of these cars. Just respect them for what each of them are.

v10tt
11-26-2013, 08:50 AM
It is what it is, the viper is NOT what it was in 96 when the GTS came out and it destroyed the competition.
For that to happen today it needs 700+ hp, 3200 lb, and 7k rpm red line from the factory.

Motor has a lot of potential, shame you can tune it and a simple KN filter puts it on Low power mode. If the Beast could be awaken, the Gen V would be perfect.
If you could make 800-900 rwh with a bolt on TT or SC system in the same price range as a Gen 2, then it would not matter how it compares stock.

v10tt
11-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Brooks, can the McLaren be modified for more power? How is the aftermarket on them?

FikseGTS
11-28-2013, 07:11 PM
there are some exhaust systems out and apparently some tunes out there, I've seen video of a 2013 12C Spider with a tune walking by my friends 12C coupe...

there are also rumors that the 2015 12C will have 650HP and they will upgrade the older cars as well...

Brooks, can the McLaren be modified for more power? How is the aftermarket on them?

ACRucrazy
07-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Interesting article
http://www.roadandtrack.com/boot/my-year-of-mclaren-mp4-12c?src=soc_fcbks

And

http://www.examiner.com/article/ferrari-versus-mclaren-from-an-owners-perspective

Big Miata
07-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Die Digital Die

Long live Analog

Let's turn people who can only play video games into good drivers and convince them they are the ones doing the driving

ViperSmith
07-03-2014, 10:55 AM
The 12C is a phenomenal car, though they've had some growing pains. People are upset that the 650s is rolling out, but bravo to McLaren for putting out a better product so soon. All accounts it is great.

Looking forward to the P13. The 12C's are just steals now in the $160-200k range for lightly used.

Drummerviper
07-03-2014, 11:16 AM
I had a 12 and now 650S. The 650 feels even much more powerful and has better suspension . But it is over 300 so it should

swexlin
07-03-2014, 12:26 PM
The McLaren is a mean machine. The suspension is what is killer with it, allowing it to run 10's all day long.

More so, McLaren is where SRT needs to be going as a whole. A racing program that generates awesome road cars. Their dealer network is small, but their dealers do what is needed to close sales. From test drives to letting people take cars home overnight to see if they like them.

I enjoyed driving it, but I can see how it would get "boring" after awhile. Much like the GT-R, it is just too well refined all around, IMHO.

This. I live just a couple miles from McLaren of Philadelphia, actually here in West Chester PA. They often bring one of their cars over to our cars and coffee here in West Chester, where we can sit in them, see them etc. After, people often drive a few minutes back to the dealer for more. There is also a Viper dealer near our C&C. Has he ever ONCE brought the 2013 LE (which he's had on the floor over a year) to our C&C? I'll let you guess...

Drummerviper
07-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Does not surprise me. I bought both Macs from Philly . They are the real deal.

ViperSmith
07-03-2014, 04:56 PM
Apparnetly Tyson's is getting their own dealership and splitting from Philly. Stopped in twice to look at their 650s.

Need to sell by next business soon lol.