PDA

View Full Version : Viper Exchange lowering caps installed

TexasTonka
03-13-2015, 11:34 AM
Just bought a TA2.0 and will be adding many Viper Exchange performance products to this new ride very quickly. Excited about all the new modification you can do with these GenV and really a major reason I pulled the trigger finally. I will try and do a readers digest version write up on all the parts as they go in.

The lowering caps were the first thing to go in. Takes away the wheel gap in the car and really transformed the look. Ride is just as good if not slightly better than stock. Seem to have better steering feel but they may be in my head. After the lowering caps I will be installing the Viper Exchange/Arrow racing Stage II Heads and Cam package to bump up the horsepower a bit and give it a more muscular sound. Very excited to see what the numbers come out to be on that install.

Lowering caps have the bottom of the splitter right at 3 9/16" above floor.

FLATOUT
03-13-2015, 11:44 AM
Love mine as well, one of the best mods I have done to my TA. Nice to know that Ben and the race team developed these as well.

I just saw the logo, I have an early set without it. That looks cool.

Murpowa
03-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Sitting quite nice!

ViperJon
03-13-2015, 12:09 PM
I'd like to see a few nice pictures of the car outside in the daylight from the side to see the new wheel gap!

nuviper
03-13-2015, 12:37 PM
Thanks for sharing, TexasTonka. Do you know what the original height of the spliter?

SammutRacing
03-13-2015, 01:09 PM
I'd like to see a few nice pictures of the car outside in the daylight from the side to see the new wheel gap!

agreed..

Good luck with the new car TexasTonka looks great!

TexasTonka
03-13-2015, 01:42 PM
Thanks everyone! Honestly I bought the car and all the mods in the same deal and they offered to throw teh caps on while I waited so being a little excited about it I did not even think to measure the height without the caps installed. I did look at the old and new cap side by side on a bench and it looked to be every bit of the claimed 9/16". I will get some pictures tomorrow out in the hill country with our region. Sorry for the bad pics, took a day off from the office to go pick it up at Viper Exchange and as you know, take one day off, you have three days work pile up so I am digging myself out before the drive tomorrow.

FlatOut- the etching is a new touch I think, the fronts are seen every time you open the hood, it is a cool touch. If you are swinging by Viper Exchange anytime soon could you measure the Blue TA2.0 splitter height?

Junkie
03-13-2015, 01:44 PM
Love my caps, and keeping all the benefits of factory suspension ftw.

bayviper
03-13-2015, 03:41 PM
How difficult is the install?

Brian GTS
03-13-2015, 03:50 PM
The caps give the car a perfect stance. I LOVE mine.

FRONT: I had remove the shocks and use a spring compressor to install. It's not difficult, but does require some patience.

REAR: I didn't even have to remove the springs. I could fit my compressor between the control arms with no problem. It also made it nice because I didn't have to try to stabilize the stock while I torqued on the bolts of the spring compressor. The rear only took me 20 min each.

Overall, it's probably a 2 hours job for the do-it-yourselfer.

outnumbered
03-13-2015, 04:26 PM
Not outside, but you can see the difference:

Before

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL25/914098/1673865/410618260.jpg

After

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL25/914098/1673865/410618262.jpg

ViperJon
03-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Just enough. Looks great!

Vprbite
03-13-2015, 04:54 PM
Looks really good.

I love the logo. Adds a nice touch.

Crotalidae
03-13-2015, 04:56 PM
Cars look great!!! May have to pic a set up..

swexlin
03-13-2015, 05:50 PM
Just enough. Looks great!

That's what I've always tried to tell my past girlfriends!!

It does look good, and interested in hearing your feedback on the drive. Lucky you guys have the weather. Finally warming up here but a washout tomorrow and into Sunday, and the roads are hazardous with potholes. So still my snake sits in the garage...weeks now....

Murpowa
03-13-2015, 05:57 PM
Soon swexlin...soon

outnumbered
03-13-2015, 05:59 PM
That's what I've always tried to tell my past girlfriends!!

It does look good, and interested in hearing your feedback on the drive. Lucky you guys have the weather. Finally warming up here but a washout tomorrow and into Sunday, and the roads are hazardous with potholes. So still my snake sits in the garage...weeks now....

I haven't noticed anything negative about the ride. But love the look.

JonB ~ PartsRack
03-13-2015, 06:12 PM
How difficult is the install?

Relatively simple....A "while You Wait" at a knowledgeable shop, so long as you don't do a re-align the same day....

Ride? Since you are just lowering the body onto the OE springs and not changing the spring rate (or really the pre-load) the ride stays OE. But the Center of Gravity is lowered so the car 'feels' more responsive and nimble......because it IS! Cosmetics are a BONUS!

Mazak
03-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Looks real good !

SilveRT8
03-13-2015, 10:31 PM
Got mine sitting in a box, waiting for Spring !
What's the official lowering height ? I hear 9/16" and also 3/4"?

mjorgensen
03-14-2015, 11:06 AM
Relatively simple....A "while You Wait" at a knowledgeable shop, so long as you don't do a re-align the same day....

Ride? Since you are just lowering the body onto the OE springs and not changing the spring rate (or really the pre-load) the ride stays OE. But the Center of Gravity is lowered so the car 'feels' more responsive and nimble......because it IS! Cosmetics are a BONUS!

SRT/GTS preload will change very slightly front and rear, the TA will only change slightly front, but rear preload is non existent after the swap because the spring is stiffer and shorter than the SRT/GTS.

The_Don
03-14-2015, 12:20 PM
When will you be getting the stage II?

mjorgensen
03-14-2015, 12:23 PM
If you are asking "me" then the parts should be available in 5-7 weeks we hope.

When will you be getting the stage II?

TexasTonka
03-14-2015, 10:02 PM
Ride was just as good or better than stock. May just be in my head but cornering/steering seemed sharper. The 9/16" drop really doesn't sound like much but it really is just right, not slammed but eliminates fender gap while retaining oem adjustable suspension.

My Stage II package will begin being installed next week I believe. Trying to pin down a before and after Dyno facility for keeping track of gains. Stage III package is on my list when available too.

The_Don
03-15-2015, 07:16 PM
If you are asking "me" then the parts should be available in 5-7 weeks we hope.
I'm in New York so how would I go about getting it when it becomes available?

mjorgensen
03-15-2015, 07:34 PM
PM sent.

I'm in New York so how would I go about getting it when it becomes available?

TexasTonka
03-16-2015, 09:20 PM
Here are some pictures of the Y'Orange getting a bath, some close ups of the wheel gaps for you.

FLATOUT
03-16-2015, 09:29 PM
Looks great Kurt!

ViperJon
03-17-2015, 06:16 AM
Big difference, looks like closer to 3/4". Nice...:)

http://i.imgur.com/VUadgi5.jpg

VIPEREPIV
03-18-2015, 11:41 AM
Did you pick your caps up locally or have them shipped?

I was on the Viper Exchange website and don't seem to see a listing for them to add to cart. Am I missing something?

serpent
03-18-2015, 11:51 AM
Love my caps, and keeping all the benefits of factory suspension ftw.
I saw your post in Alley. If and when you have time can you please measure how low the front splitter is from the ground?
I'm guessing its about 3.5" - 4"?
The stock height on the gen 5 without the front splitter is about 7" from the ground.

Btw, has anyone done a hybrid of springs and caps? Springs in front and caps in the back?

Victxv10
03-18-2015, 11:51 AM
Did you pick your caps up locally or have them shipped?

I was on the Viper Exchange website and don't seem to see a listing for them to add to cart. Am I missing something?

There is a thread on here in the GenV section with contact info. You have to call and ask for Nate. He handles the sale of these and can get them shipped to you.

serpent
03-18-2015, 01:42 PM
Nvm, my question was answered in first post. TA (has front splitter) + lowering caps = 3.56" from ground. Damn that is low! :D

F8L SNK
05-12-2015, 11:47 PM
Really, 2 hours for a novice. so what do you think it would take you now that you have done it at least once?

The caps give the car a perfect stance. I LOVE mine.

FRONT: I had remove the shocks and use a spring compressor to install. It's not difficult, but does require some patience.

REAR: I didn't even have to remove the springs. I could fit my compressor between the control arms with no problem. It also made it nice because I didn't have to try to stabilize the stock while I torqued on the bolts of the spring compressor. The rear only took me 20 min each.

Overall, it's probably a 2 hours job for the do-it-yourselfer.

BeBeep
05-13-2015, 05:25 PM
Lowered Vipers look great.

Jmays22
06-28-2017, 02:38 PM
Lowered Vipers look great.

Can anyone point me to a write on how to install the caps? I have a Gen III vert

biturboamg
07-27-2017, 08:39 PM
Think my car may have these on it. I thought the TA just sat very low. Reading this old post made me wonder. I went and from the TA splitter to the ground is 4inches maybe lower. These caps are not etched so maybe an older set?

ViperSRT
07-27-2017, 09:57 PM
Think my car may have these on it. I thought the TA just sat very low. Reading this old post made me wonder. I went and from the TA splitter to the ground is 4inches maybe lower. These caps are not etched so maybe an older set?

Mine is less than 4 inches stock. More like 3 1/2 inches at the front.

serpent
07-27-2017, 10:30 PM
Just pop your hood open and you will see if the caps are thin or not. The stock ones are thick and silver like bare metal.

If its at 4" or over you are on stock suspension. My stock '15 SRT is a little over 4" from ground with TA front splitter. I also inflated tires to 32 psi.

Arizona Vipers
07-28-2017, 12:35 AM

This measurement means nothing without the tires you are running and pressures they are at. Are the the stock tire in stock sizes? Just tire pressure alone can raise/drop your car a LOT

mjorgensen
07-28-2017, 08:52 AM

stock cap

Lowered cap

biturboamg
07-28-2017, 10:20 AM
Thanks Mark. Maybe they are stock. They are not as clean as the ones you posted but looks the same. My fender gaps are very minimal as well. Car rides great either way.

speedtactics
10-23-2017, 01:16 PM
I know this thread is a bit old but I need some help.
I have a set of Viper exchange lowering caps I want to install on my 14 GTS. I have been told that I will need helper springs for the rear shocks? I guess they can get loose when the car is jacked up or on a lift without them because they don't have enough preload? any thoughts or help would be great as I don't see mention of that on this thread.

mjorgensen
10-23-2017, 01:17 PM
I know this thread is a bit old but I need some help.
I have a set of Viper exchange lowering caps I want to install on my 14 GTS. I have been told that I will need helper springs for the rear shocks? I guess they can get loose when the car is jacked up or on a lift without them because they don't have enough preload? any thoughts or help would be great as I don't see mention of that on this thread.

TA springs could be a little too loose, but since you have a GTS you should not have the same issues.

speedtactics
10-23-2017, 01:27 PM
Thanks Mark!

Eddieg
10-30-2017, 01:51 PM
Looking to buy some of these caps. Anyone have some for sale? Thank you. New or used, doesn’t matter to me.

John Baird
11-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Is a realignment really necessary after lowering with the lowering caps?

mjorgensen
11-06-2017, 11:40 AM
Is a realignment really necessary after lowering with the lowering caps?

I would suggest at least having it checked since it will change at least the toe a little and if the current value is off slightly it will get worse after lowering.

Eddieg
11-13-2017, 01:50 PM
Great write up, do you have torque specs by any chance for the front springs when you installed them back on the car? Thank you.