PDA

View Full Version : Gen 2 exhaust system questions?

Troublemaker
11-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Does anyone have any real world numbers on which exhaust systems work and which don't? The stocker on my 96 looks to be about as restrictive as exhaust systems can get. I would like to replace everything from the heads to the tips. I honestly don't need to have cats on my car as we don't have smog tests here, but if they are no a point of excessive heat or restriction I'm not opposed to having them. I little drone I can deal with, but that type of drone that hurts you ears over a long ride I can't have.

ViperGTS
11-23-2013, 12:17 PM
HF cats (metal, 200) and Corsa 3" is the way to go - no drone!
Good sound, not too loud. If you do headers too the car gets (really) loud.

HF cats = no smell.

slitherv10
11-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Well I got Belanger headers with Borla exhaust no cats. Presumably Belanger guarantee's that you will get 50+ RWHP from a Gen 2 with the headers on that car. I dyno'd my car last year and I didn't see a 50RWHP gain. If that were the case I would dyno around 470RWHP and it wasn't even close. With my other mods on the car I should be well over 500RWHP and nope nadda, no way. So not sure if it was slipping on the roller or it needs a tune or what the heck was going on but, I didn't see the results. Not 50 RWHP, that's for sure.
On a good note, they do sound nice. It is a tiny bit loud with the no cat Borla exhaust but, the back pressure growl is music to your ears.

SmoknTires
11-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Lots of guys in our club change out their exhaust. I've had belangers on a couple of my Vipers and loved them. With the headers and full exhaust, it really had a deep tone. Was definitely loud but no obnoxious. I got no drone. Everyone always asked who's exhaust I had because of the sound. I tend to think the corsa are a hair raspy, unless you like it.

All the exhausts mentioned are good quality. Jon B could probably have the most to say as he's probably sold many of them to us.

Troublemaker
11-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Belangers are what I was looking at. I was holding off until I decided if I was going to convert to a Gen4 top end, but with house shopping right now, I need to keep my spending to best bang for the buck. Now if somebody can make a Gen5 intake that would fit the Gen2 heads, I would be in business.

Anonymous
11-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Borla touring w/no cats sound great.

JonSav
11-23-2013, 03:45 PM
I have full belanger on my 96.. couldn't be happier

99RT10
11-23-2013, 03:51 PM
I hear Borlla sounds the best. I have a new Borla setup I need to get rid of. 3", new too. PM me. :D

Helo Steve
11-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Not sure if you can access either of these links, but hope these help. If you can't, send me a PM and I'll email them directly.

This is a 98 with lumpy cam, 3" Corsa exhaust and high flow cats. The first link shows Illnois plates (purchased the car in IL, but now in CT or I'd invite you to hear it for yourself).

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k44/vipergs1/6819BF01-85E5-44D3-A661-63ACF50D24BF-3397-0000022206883F7E_zps002bc157.mp4

http://instagram.com/p/cRtATzNCx2/

JerseyGTS
11-23-2013, 06:35 PM
As previously stated, I don't think you'll see any meaningful difference in numbers...I have a B&B, no cats. It is loud with some drone but that's what I like. I think most do it for sound or if they are planning future mods.

sparkrn
11-23-2013, 07:02 PM
I had BB on my old Gen II. They sound just like Borla to me, just a hair cheaper. Nice thing about BB is that they come fully polished all the way, not just the tips like Borla. Corsa cost more but you get no drone, that's what I roll with now. No cats sound loud if you like that, but make sure you reattach the sensors. With sensor simulators the car shoots fire and looses some power at low and high RPM.:web_driver:

72hemi
11-23-2013, 07:27 PM
I have heard a lot of exhaust systems on Gen II cars and for me the best sounding was the Borla 2 muffler system which is what I ended up installing, really makes the Viper sound awesome!

99RT10
11-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Just a note, and anybody more knowledgeable than me can correct me(MarkJ& JonB), but if you experience any drone, a method to eliminate it is to put a balance tube on the rear where the pipes meet up.

sparkrn
11-23-2013, 10:16 PM
My BB had a merging tube design in the back and lots of drone.

Troublemaker
11-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. Digging into the motor will probably have to wait until next Winter, but I only want to buy the headers once. I realize 1 5/8 are probably better on a stock motor, but 1 3/4 are going to perform better on a better breathing motor. I think I have made up my mind, thanks again.

1997Viper
12-12-2013, 08:03 PM
One tip on sounds, be careful if you open it all up. I put American Racing Headers into 3" high flow Cat into 3" Corsa. Amazing sounds but got hit for 104db at Laguna Seca on a 92db day when went all out and 107db at Thunder Hill. Its loud although great power when everything else was done. While in VA now, it passed CA smog before I left so as long as all sealed up right the high flows did their job and didn't impede performance at all. As earlier, HF CATS no smell, Corsa no Drone.

viperr
12-12-2013, 10:11 PM
I have Belanger headers (a beautiful fabrication job IMO), high flow cats, Belanger 3" cat backs with muffler delete. With the stock 708 cam on my 99 RT-10 this system sounds great and the engine sounds mean. I do lots of highway driving and it isn't too loud for me. My last dyno was 443 rwhp which isn't too bad for my old sled. It was a 15 hp pickup at the wheels adding the headers, but the car seems to pull a lot harder at lower rpm.

Luisv
12-16-2013, 06:37 AM
Chiming in a bit late here on this but I figured I'd ask/mention something...

There was a OP and one reply mentioning power gains. Problem I see is nobody mentioned tuning the cars after the exhaust change. Most engine changes will require some sort of re-map. Without it, you likely won't see a real power change. Headers in particular would need something. I know those that did Cat deletes had to tune or you'd be getting lights...

Point is, a tune, after a full exhaust swap would be needed to truly see gains in torque or power.

Also... Which headers you go with, rather which design of header (we don't have many manufacturer choices after all) will make huge differences. Collector size, lengths, etc. will change torque gains, power band, top power figures, etc.

I am, pretty much, stock now. if I do modify, I'll be doing head and exhaust work. I'm looking more for a track style car and not really concerned with standing mile racer. I'd be happy with 75 to 125lbs of additional torque. That's a ways away though as I have another car to finish first.

Skolnick89
03-16-2018, 06:03 PM
Recently bought a 98 GTS.
Any idea how I figure out my exhaust system? I Believe headers and no mufflers. Sounds great but cannot carryon a conversation in the car.

venum4u
03-16-2018, 06:18 PM
M&M headers, B&B exhaust and random tech high flow cats (metal). Really don't notice any drone and sounds great

ICPREY
03-16-2018, 08:03 PM
Recently bought a 98 GTS.
Any idea how I figure out my exhaust system? I Believe headers and no mufflers. Sounds great but cannot carryon a conversation in the car.

Take pictures and post.

ViperRyan
03-16-2018, 08:03 PM
I’ve got a Full Belanger system. Headers/no cats. Absolutely love the sound, and the look. Have videos if interested.