PDA

View Full Version : Spare parts for track

Arizona Vipers
03-01-2015, 04:39 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to racing with my 97 GTS.
What are the most common parts failures at the track? I'm trying to put together a list of spare parts to buy and bring to the track with me.
I've been lucky so far, car has needed nothing but gas at the track..

Thanks.

XSnake
03-01-2015, 04:49 PM
pads, oil, belt, brake fluid, lugs, wheel studs, PS bracket if you don't have a billet one.

99RT10
03-01-2015, 05:35 PM
1/4 mile track, road course, autoX? If 1/4 mile, make sure to have a spare halfshaft.

FrankBarba
03-01-2015, 05:50 PM
Brake Bleeder, Turkey Baster (easily change power steering fluid), air gauge, air tank, good set of tools,
plenty of water.....

Arizona Vipers
03-01-2015, 09:07 PM
1/4 mile track, road course, autoX? If 1/4 mile, make sure to have a spare halfshaft.

Good question, I should have made that clear.. Road racing, currently only with Nasa...

AZTVR
03-01-2015, 10:02 PM
Your car is probably prepped; but check to make sure heater hoses are tight to the control valve in the engine compartment at the top of the passenger footwell. The OEM crimp clamp is not adequate to hold the hoses in place to the valve nipples. Make sure your power steering cap is very tight. Do not accidentally run defroster or AC. You can seize the compressor and throw the belt. Make sure your crankshaft damper bolt is tight, preferably torquing it to recommended amount. Make sure you have a metal power steering pulley or you risk ending up with a broken plastic pulley.

Arizona Vipers
03-01-2015, 10:12 PM
All great info guys, I appreciate it! Keep it coming!

AZTVR
03-01-2015, 10:44 PM
Oh, and at first keep close eye on oil consumption. Depending on your engine, and also depending upon your braking capacity, you can consume oil, especially from the valve cover connection to the air cleaner. (Probably not a problem until you get more advanced.)

Folks try to keep it at the full line and some say a tad higher - but that may be for Gen 3 guys - I don't remember

Fatboy 18
03-02-2015, 05:06 AM
Oh, and at first keep close eye on oil consumption. Depending on your engine, and also depending upon your braking capacity, you can consume oil, especially from the valve cover connection to the air cleaner. (Probably not a problem until you get more advanced.)

Folks try to keep it at the full line and some say a tad higher - but that may be for Gen 3 guys - I don't remember

Worth fitting an air oil separator/ breather system ;)

Vprbite
03-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to racing with my 97 GTS.
What are the most common parts failures at the track? I'm trying to put together a list of spare parts to buy and bring to the track with me.
I've been lucky so far, car has needed nothing but gas at the track..

Thanks.

Being new, you don't flog the cars as hard as the experts. It would seem counterintuitive but it seems to be true. You may want to go to an actual track pad as your stock ones will be done, fast,p. Also, make sure your brake fluid is new and ready to go.

I would send Jon B an email and tell him you are a newbie (he loves to help newbies and I have been on that list) and tell him you are racing in Arizona (though nasa Doeant really race too much come July and August because even if the cars could take it on the track the paddock would be hell on earth) and ask him about brakes. There may be a good in between pad that works better than going full squeaker race pad. Also, I would. Abke sure your coolant is fresh and ready to go.

JonB ~ PartsRack
03-06-2015, 11:04 AM
All the above and a trap-door-oil-pan gate kit especially if you are running slicks.I know your car, a fully-sorted track-only NICE beast that would make any track rat like me jealous to own. Good Luck, Be Safe, Have Fun

Arizona Vipers
03-06-2015, 12:56 PM
All the above and a trap-door-oil-pan gate kit especially if you are running slicks.I know your car, a fully-sorted track-only NICE beast that would make any track rat like me jealous to own. Good Luck, Be Safe, Have Fun
Thanks Jon! I'll be emailing you to put this order together!