PDA

View Full Version : Side sill removal

1.8t
03-01-2015, 09:28 AM
So I am probably retarded, but how in the hell do I release the side sill from the rear 1/4 panel where they meet right above the exhaust outlet? Putting in my ARH headers and I can't see any hardware, but it will not release from this joint.

Do I have to remove the rear tire and wheel liner to get at bolts behind this joint?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

KB Viper
03-01-2015, 10:12 AM
go to corsa's website, they have detailed interactions for their muffler install. that's how i was able to get mine off.

basically you have to take out 7 screws that hold in the wheel liner and reach in there right above the exhaust tip and unscrew two 10mm bolts that hold a bracket that is the last piece. it's detailed in the corsa instructions.

FLATOUT
03-01-2015, 10:26 AM
Damn I had mine off last night could have taken pics for you. In short you have to peel back or remove the rear wheel well liner and there is a bracket with two 10mm nuts securing the top of the sill and the bottom of the rear quarter to each other. Remove those two nuts and the bracket comes out.

Andy

1.8t
03-01-2015, 10:28 AM
SOB, I figured as much. Here I was thinking I could do this whole thing with only the front in the air. Much appreciated man.

Jack B
03-01-2015, 10:58 AM
You do not need to remove the liner. Remove rhe screws on the front half, pull the liner out pass the lip and half way back, you can then access the fastener holding the rear of the sill.

FLATOUT
03-01-2015, 11:31 AM
You do not need to remove the liner. Remove rhe screws on the front half, pull the liner out pass the lip and half way back, you can then access the fastener holding the rear of the sill.

That's what "peel it back" means.

FLATOUT
03-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Here's a quick shot from last night. Look above the exhaust exit at the bottom of the rear quarter.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8596/16683464121_c284c66a71_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/rqg7D8)image (https://flic.kr/p/rqg7D8) by mrandrewwheeler (https://www.flickr.com/people/125600825@N07/), on Flickr

1.8t
03-01-2015, 12:20 PM
Side sills are off as well as cats and exhaust, manifolds are next. I had an 09 SRT Coupe back in the day and I put headers/exhaust on it. This seems to pretty much be the same deal all over again.

Also, holy shit my tolerance for wrenching decreases with every additional year of life. I used to not mind it at all(built at TT Viper before this car), but damn does this crap get old lol.

FLATOUT
03-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Side sills are off as well as cats and exhaust, manifolds are next. I had an 09 SRT Coupe back in the day and I put headers/exhaust on it. This seems to pretty much be the same deal all over again.

Also, holy shit my tolerance for wrenching decreases with every additional year of life. I used to not mind it at all(built at TT Viper before this car), but damn does this crap get old lol.

I agree there are just some things I don't enjoy doing anymore. I think that's why I'm enjoying the restoration work on my 1992. Time consuming but easy work.

1.8t
03-01-2015, 05:15 PM
Stock stuff out(was easy), upper halves of the headers in place. I have been spending a more than reasonable amount of time trying to bolt the two halves of the headers together. There has to be a better design than this 2 piece deal. I know the Bellangers I did before were much easier, though they were Tri-Y and not a 5-1 merge. I also managed to drop one of the bolts supplied by ARH that bolts the halves together and I can't find it to save my damn life. Probably will have to give them a call tomorrow to get another one sent to me.

Jack B
03-01-2015, 09:29 PM
Make sure is is not in the exhaust port - LOL.

Stock stuff out(was easy), upper halves of the headers in place. I have been spending a more than reasonable amount of time trying to bolt the two halves of the headers together. There has to be a better design than this 2 piece deal. I know the Bellangers I did before were much easier, though they were Tri-Y and not a 5-1 merge. I also managed to drop one of the bolts supplied by ARH that bolts the halves together and I can't find it to save my damn life. Probably will have to give them a call tomorrow to get another one sent to me.

1.8t
03-01-2015, 09:40 PM
It couldn't get into the exhaust port in the head and I already checked the runners lol. I am sure I will find it once I get a new one from ARH and don't need it anymore.

Simms
03-02-2015, 08:45 AM
It couldn't get into the exhaust port in the head and I already checked the runners lol. I am sure I will find it once I get a new one from ARH and don't need it anymore.

Are your bolts on the flange from the top or bottom? I assume top.

FLATOUT
03-02-2015, 08:52 AM
There are some great tricks for putting the two halves together. PM me your cell and I'll give my tips. Makes it much easier.

1.8t
03-02-2015, 08:56 AM
Are your bolts on the flange from the top or bottom? I assume top.

From the top.

Victxv10
03-02-2015, 09:46 AM
So are the side sills easier to remove on a gen5 than gen3/4 were?

FLATOUT
03-02-2015, 10:10 AM
So are the side sills easier to remove on a gen5 than gen3/4 were?

Yes I think they are due to the clam shell hood.

1.8t
03-02-2015, 12:17 PM
^ Agreed

Victxv10
03-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Yes I think they are due to the clam shell hood.

Thanks! So there isn't that ONE frickin bolt the gen3/4's had inside the fender vent that was a pain to get to?

1.8t
03-02-2015, 01:01 PM
^ Correct, that is no longer an issue.

FLATOUT
03-02-2015, 01:27 PM
Thanks! So there isn't that ONE frickin bolt the gen3/4's had inside the fender vent that was a pain to get to?

LOL correct as 1.8t mentioned but you trade that one for the rear quarter to sill bracket.