PDA

View Full Version : Viper days with skip thomas goes to vir

Russ Oasis
02-27-2015, 08:48 PM
If you guys haven't been to VIR (my favorite track), it's a bucket list event. 3.3 miles long in the middle of hundreds of acres of woods in VA. The back straight is over a mile long. NARRA is bringing back Skip Thomas June 6-7 to teach his Viper Days program to those who want to learn where the edges on your snake are. (You don't have to push it if you don't want to, but you certainly are invited to) :t1236: There's going to be a Saturday night banquet honoring Skip Thomas. If you haven't been on the track at VIR, you haven't lived. It's super reasonable for the weekend. For more details, you can click here:

http://narraonline.com/all-news-main/333-new-series-administrator-for-narra-2

Late Apex
03-05-2015, 06:39 AM
What a class guy and so glad he is back, and hopefully Courtney too.

Simms
03-05-2015, 07:58 AM
Man I wish I could make this! I'm going to the Porsche driving school in Alabama that weekend.

Anyone know if Skip will do this at any other tracks on different dates?

Russ Oasis
03-08-2015, 11:08 AM
Guys....VIR is the most awesome track in America. This is a "must-do." Simms, do the Porsche weekend another weekend...this is really special.

JonB ~ PartsRack
03-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Ask any of the 78 or so Viper Owners how much fun we all had at the "Skip Thomas / Viper Days Reunion" at Buttonwillow in January!

Hope to see you at VIR, and yes, as with all NARRA events, Parade Laps behind the NARRA Pace Car will be offered to all Viper / SRT comers....

TheMadMachinist
03-08-2015, 02:05 PM
I was one of the 78 Viper owners at Button Willow and it was my first track event. You don't want to miss this event. It really was too much fun. I have never seen so many Vipers in one place and met so many great people. I over heard many people say how lucky we where that Skip came out of retirement do to this event before it started. After being a part of this I can tell to that Skip Thomas not only has a passion for these cars but also a passion for the people that drive Vipers. He is a great guy.

Dan Cragin
03-08-2015, 09:48 PM
Bring NARRA back to the West Coast- you will get the car count!

Russ Oasis
03-11-2015, 01:25 PM
Dan,
I would love to see NARRA going to the west coast, but you guys need to commit to it because if people don't show up, it's a financial catastrophe. You know how hard it is to make ends meet in a racing series. Get your guys to commit to NARRA and they will go.

Bill Pemberton
03-11-2015, 01:51 PM
Skip is a great guy and I would recommend making it to VIR if on the East Coast just to get his help and guidance. I learned enough from Viper Days to end up running door to door with SCCA and NASA --- super fun series and nice to see NARRA bringing back Skip Thomas , who was the innovator for Viper Track Days.

thetalonguy
03-15-2015, 06:01 PM
I've decided I'm signing up for this...this is exactly the kind of instruction and participation I was looking for. I'm signed up for an Al Lane racing school day soon, but I don't think they'll allow me to drive the Viper first time around.
If anyone is coming from the North; ping me. I'm probably going to make a 4 day weekend out of this.

Also, any suggestions on helmets? Guessing it would be appropriate for full face snell SA2010. Saw a brand named Racequip that seemed reasonable.

So many events to look forward to this year. Super excited!

Dusty1
03-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Beth and I are planning to be there and see if we can round some folks up from Houston or Texas for that matter that might want to make the drive over. Its a great track and we had a great time the last time we went.

Richard

Bill Pemberton
03-16-2015, 02:13 PM
Big plus for those in the Midwest -- since few will be able to drive this far, is that they can participate in another great track event , " The 5th Annual Viper Rendezvous" in Hastings, Nebraska. Run a lot like the old Viper Days , except with drag racing, full track Autocross , and time trials, it is the best alternative for folks not on the East Coast ( www.racemph.com )

Steve-Indy
03-16-2015, 02:19 PM
Stay tuned...something good may develop at the grass root level in 2016.

Russ Oasis
03-16-2015, 09:40 PM
You Mid West guys should caravan to VIR. The Skip Thomas schooling cannot be duplicated. And again, getting on VIR is a once in a lifetime opportunity. It's the most exciting and dramatic track in America. It would be worth doing whatever you have to, in order to experience Viper Days.

RoyV101621
03-16-2015, 09:54 PM
:t1236:

Russ Oasis
03-23-2015, 04:37 PM
Guys (and Girls),
Do not wait to sign up. The rooms at VIR are close to being booked and you are going to love the track. Call Lucie at NARRA and sign up for you (the driver) and anyone who might want to come and watch. Lucie's number is 817 829-4893. You will thank Skip Thomas for this experience!

thetalonguy
03-23-2015, 05:26 PM
Guys (and Girls),
Do not wait to sign up. The rooms at VIR are close to being booked and you are going to love the track. Call Lucie at NARRA and sign up for you (the driver) and anyone who might want to come and watch. Lucie's number is 817 829-4893. You will thank Skip Thomas for this experience!

I'm all signed up and paid. I spoke to Lucie today and she affirmed to book the hotel ASAP. I'm reserving tomorrow.

Super excited!! Hope to see all of you down there.

XSnake
03-23-2015, 07:12 PM
Guys (and Girls),

Russ, I called weeks ago and then told me there were no rooms left anywhere on property. That was kind of the nail in the coffin for me going.

Martin2000GTS
03-23-2015, 09:22 PM
I just spoke to Lucie and Aaron today, they as well told me to make sure to book the rooms soon as they were selling out fast, but they didn't mention that it was booked/ sold out. I just sent in my registration form for VIR so I'm pumped. I hope I can get a room at the track as opposed to off premises, but either way I'm still excited to go.
Martin-

Martin2000GTS
03-24-2015, 12:58 PM
Hey Guys, Here is an update on what to do with rooms. They still have room available because they have been blocked off for NARRA. If you give them Reservation # 19666 you can get a room , problem is you have to pay for a 3 night minimum because its really for NARRA which is Thursday Friday and Saturday. They people at VIR don't all know about the 2 day viper event that is going on as well. Call James @ 434 822 7700 Ext 110 but again its a 3 night minimum there is no way around it. I ended up booking it for Thursday Friday and Saturday night but most likely not gonna show up till Friday night. think staying on the track is going to be "that much better"...Im also splitting the bill with a friend so it wont be too bad. Other than that, the recommended hotel is the Marriott/Danville the price is not bad, $119.00 a night but its about 20 min away from the track. Any viper guys are totally welcome to hang out at my room If there is down time during the day and you don't want to head back to another hotel. The view from the lodge hotel at VIR looks incredible as it is right on the track.

ViperTony
03-25-2015, 11:51 AM
Hey Guys, Here is an update on what to do with rooms. They still have room available because they have been blocked off for NARRA. If you give them Reservation # 19666 you can get a room , problem is you have to pay for a 3 night minimum because its really for NARRA which is Thursday Friday and Saturday. They people at VIR don't all know about the 2 day viper event that is going on as well. Call James @ 434 822 7700 Ext 110 but again its a 3 night minimum there is no way around it. I ended up booking it for Thursday Friday and Saturday night but most likely not gonna show up till Friday night. think staying on the track is going to be "that much better"...Im also splitting the bill with a friend so it wont be too bad. Other than that, the recommended hotel is the Marriott/Danville the price is not bad, $119.00 a night but its about 20 min away from the track. Any viper guys are totally welcome to hang out at my room If there is down time during the day and you don't want to head back to another hotel. The view from the lodge hotel at VIR looks incredible as it is right on the track.

Thanks for the information Martin. Just signed up and booked VIR. :dude3:

Martin2000GTS
03-25-2015, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the information Martin. Just signed up and booked VIR. :dude3:

Nice! What days are you staying? Did you have to pay the 3 night minimum? Matt (thetalonguy) is coming down also. Right now Im booked for Thursday Friday and Saturday night. But Matt makes a good point to perhaps book it for Friday Saturday and Sunday night, and head home Monday morning. Not sure if you know Janni in NC, but she is holding on to My viper and Franks (the guy with the same gen 5 as you have) viper for the week. We are stopping at her house on the way pack from Tail of the dragon, dropping off the cars there and flying home. Then couple days later were flying back. Janni is only 15 min from the airport and 70 min from VIR. Gonna be awesome!

thetalonguy
03-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Doh! Just called and all the rooms are now reserved under this reservation. James suggested contacting Lucie to let her know to contact you in case there are any cancellations. I'll probably end up reserving the off site suggestion Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

ViperTony
03-26-2015, 12:24 PM
Doh! Just called and all the rooms are now reserved under this reservation. James suggested contacting Lucie to let her know to contact you in case there are any cancellations. I'll probably end up reserving the off site suggestion Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I normally don't share rooms but being that your a fellow member you can stay in my room. Just be forewarned that I snore, burp and fart a lot.

Not sure if you know Janni in NC, but she is

Is this a serious question?!? Do I know Janni? The question is, who doesn't know Janni! Janni is one of many people I have the utmost respect for in the Viper community. Janni rocks! :D

thetalonguy
03-26-2015, 12:53 PM
I normally don't share rooms but being that your a fellow member you can stay in my room. Just be forewarned that I snore, burp and fart a lot.

Tony that's awfully kind of you to offer! I'm pretty sure I have a guest tagging along and 3's a crowd :-) No big deal, but I truly appreciate the fart-filled offer and all.

Martin2000GTS
03-26-2015, 01:37 PM
Tony that's awfully kind of you to offer! I'm pretty sure I have a guest tagging along and 3's a crowd :-) No big deal, but I truly appreciate the fart-filled offer and all.

Tony, will have no problem spending the night with 3 guys! Just push the two beds together and make one big one!

Martin2000GTS
03-26-2015, 01:42 PM

Matt did you give them the reservation # 19666? did that help at all? Or are the legitimately sold out? They aren't to organized over there, but everyone is extremely nice so I can get mad :) Call James @ 434 822 7700 Ext 110, tell him you are with the Viper group not NARRA....not sure if that will help either.

All this makes me think Im gonna get there and Im not gonna have a room waiting for me.....ehh

Worse case scenario if you cant get a room, you or your friend can grab a cot and throw it in our room. Like Tony, I fart a lot in my sleep and snore so bad my girlfriend makes me sleep in another room.

thetalonguy
03-26-2015, 02:00 PM
Matt did you give them the reservation # 19666? did that help at all? Or are the legitimately sold out? They aren't to organized over there, but everyone is extremely nice so I can get mad :) Call James @ 434 822 7700 Ext 110, tell him you are with the Viper group not NARRA....not sure if that will help either.

All this makes me think Im gonna get there and Im not gonna have a room waiting for me.....ehh

Worse case scenario if you cant get a room, you or your friend can grab a cot and throw it in our room. Like Tony, I fart a lot in my sleep and snore so bad my girlfriend makes me sleep in another room.

I told James that I had a reservation # and was with the Viper Group. He didn't actually take the Reservation # though. He was like, oh yea, the Viper Group, I think there's one room left. Let me check and came back with everyone was booked.

haha, all this fart talk is making me gassy. We'll figure it out...and I'm sure what ever happens it will be a good time. BTW, Will alcohol be served at the Saturday Banquet?

Martin2000GTS
03-27-2015, 01:31 PM

Is this a serious question?!? Do I know Janni? The question is, who doesn't know Janni! Janni is one of many people I have the utmost respect for in the Viper community. Janni rocks! :D

Hey Tony, remember I'm a new President here, I'm learning the ropes of who's who. Janni is great and Frank and I are very appreciative of her being able to help us. Were hoping to be able to take them out to dinner on Friday night when we come to pick up our cars. If you can make it Friday night we can all go out.

I changed my reservation with James at VIR to Friday night arrival and Monday morning departure. Matt brings up a good point on leaving on Monday morning. After racing Sunday I don't see my self wanting to get in my viper and drive 3 hours just to stay in another hotel. Might as well shower and get a good nights rest and take off early morning on Monday. Its only 8 hours for you but 11.5 for me. Let me know if you decide to do the same and we can all drive back together.

Matt between my room and Tony's room we can figure something out for you. I do have Frank staying with me so both my beds are being used. But we can get a cot, or an air mattress in there you are welcome to stay in our room.

Bryan Savage
03-28-2015, 11:58 AM
I'm signed up for the event, but got lazy and didn't book a hotel.

I don't suppose they allow camping at the track??

XSnake
03-28-2015, 02:06 PM
I don't suppose they allow camping at the track??
I've seen people camping the couple of times I've been there.

Russ Oasis
03-30-2015, 06:53 PM
Guys, the rooms at the track are amazing. There's no question about that. It's like going to a summer camp for motor heads. That said, the rooms in Danville are fine as well. It's about 15-20 minutes away and there's everything from Super 8 to higher priced places. It's all good. Don't let hotel rooms mean anything. Also, you can get on the waiting list if you want to.

outnumbered
04-05-2015, 06:45 AM
Does anyone know if this event has filled up yet?

XSnake
04-05-2015, 08:13 AM
Does anyone know if this event has filled up yet?

The event no, rooms on property, yes.

thetalonguy
06-01-2015, 09:06 AM
Only 5 days away!!!! I'm bringing my Step Father, so I booked a room offsite at the Marriott in Danville, VA. Lucie said that this was the best offsite hotel; the others were a little raggity.

I'm also going to bring my low profile jack, set of jack stands, big Torque wrench and some various hand tools in case others may need them as well.

Besides fluids, is there anything else major? Should I pick up a fire extinguisher as well?

ViperTony
06-01-2015, 09:39 AM
Only 5 days away!!!! I'm bringing my Step Father, so I booked a room offsite at the Marriott in Danville, VA. Lucie said that this was the best offsite hotel; the others were a little raggity.

I'm also going to bring my low profile jack, set of jack stands, big Torque wrench and some various hand tools in case others may need them as well.

Besides fluids, is there anything else major? Should I pick up a fire extinguisher as well?

- Tire pressure gauge
- rags
- blue-painters' tape if you plan on wrapping your Viper in it like me. :witless: though I'm going to use some clear carpet protection film where needed.
- Helmet

thetalonguy
06-01-2015, 09:45 AM
- Tire pressure gauge - Check (2 metal ones)
- rags - Will get some
- blue-painters' tape if you plan on wrapping your Viper in it like me. :witless: though I'm going to use some clear carpet protection film where needed. - Picked up a roll yesterday
- Helmet - Picked up a Snell 2010 full face last week

:bth_smiley_formula1
Thanks ;)

Dusty1
06-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Hey its gonna be a party, Beth and I are driving in from Houston and we did get a room a while back at the on site hotel so will be in 5:00 or so on Friday. Be staying Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Going to be a full two day drive either way for us.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Richard

ViperTony
06-01-2015, 10:54 AM
:bth_smiley_formula1
Thanks ;)

Only other thing I can think of is that it being a race weekend too there will be LOTS of tire rubber on the track. I picked up a LOT of rubber in my PS2s from this, took me a while to scrape it all off when I got home. :witless:.

Herrsss
06-01-2015, 01:14 PM
If anyone needs anything the black behemoth will be fully loaded with just about everything we can think of. We seem to learn our lessons the hard way!

Herrsss
06-01-2015, 01:15 PM
Only other thing I can think of is that it being a race weekend too there will be LOTS of tire rubber on the track. I picked up a LOT of rubber in my PS2s from this, took me a while to scrape it all off when I got home. :witless:.

Go by the Dollar General Store (if you have them up there) and get a bottle of LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner. Sounds weird but it's the best cleaner we've found to take off all that rubber.

Dusty1
06-01-2015, 02:10 PM
Another nice thing this coming weekend is both the track and paddock is relatively newly paved (2014) so should be smooth sailing!!!

thetalonguy
06-02-2015, 02:39 PM
I just wanted to share how awesome Lucie is...I received a call from the VIR hotel telling me that they had one available open room for me per suggestion of Lucie.

I spoke to her yesterday regarding which was the best hotel to stay at offsite. I didn't even ask her to see if there were any open rooms; she just went ahead and phoned the hotel and told them to find an open room with two beds. She gave them my cell phone and name and I got the call this afternoon. Amazing!!! Props to Lucie; she's been so helpful all along.

Can't wait to meet everyone this weekend.

JonB ~ PartsRack
06-02-2015, 05:08 PM
VIR Track Rats, be sure to plan for HOT conditions! Spend some time prepping the car with fresh brake fluid; fresh P/S fluid (at least suck out the reservoir a few times and maybe between sessions. Even a turkey-baster helps. ) Clutch Reservoir too, they can heat-soak and make the shifter sluggish.

Gen 1-2 owners BURP THE AIR from your cooling system! Dont forget to stay hydrated yourself.....start that 1 day ahead! VIR paddock has just been paved in new, fresh, black asphalt. HOT !!

And if you see my hand stuck in the back of a Gen 5 GTS Pace Car, please help me out!

SEE YOU SOON...

PartsRack will be CLOSED from Jun 4 thru Jun 8, open June 9

ViperTony
06-02-2015, 07:47 PM
Wow, I'll actually get to meet JonB for the first time in person. Be gentle with me. ;)

JonB ~ PartsRack
06-09-2015, 04:40 PM
Wow, I'll actually get to meet JonB for the first time in person. Be gentle with me. ;)

I got to meet a Dozen of you for the first time! I was my usual reserved, laid-back self?

JonB, Skid-Pad-Matador

Russ Oasis
06-09-2015, 05:36 PM
It was a great weekend, indeed. So much so that people were asking if we can do it again, soon. The answer is YES. Stay tuned for details and the next NARRA / Viper Days driver education event. Thanks to everyone that came to VIR.

thetalonguy
06-09-2015, 05:38 PM
I got to meet a Dozen of you for the first time! I was my usual reserved, laid-back self?

JonB, Skid-Pad-Matador

Jon it was awesome to meet and work with you in person. I did not expect that you would be such an integral part of the weekend. I havea bunch of videos and pictures that I'm loading up tonight. Especially with you as the Matador in my skid pad run and you as the pace car in the last session of the program.

I sent a note to the NARRA Team thanking them for their exceptional service and begging for Pitt in October.

I will post my full experience this evening if my videos ever make it to youtube.

ViperTony
06-09-2015, 09:50 PM

JonB, Skid-Pad-Matador

You were definitely not what I had envisioned LOL....you seemed normal. ;) It was a pleasure meeting you and listening to the advice/tips you shared during the event.