PDA

View Full Version : Any Gen 3/4s on Pirellis?

Resident Alien
02-23-2015, 03:14 PM
While drifting the viper everywhere has been a lot of fun, I really need to change my tires for the new driving season.

Love the world's widest OEM contact patch of the 295/355 Pirellis, especially with the great pricing deals going on recently. I'm a little concerened about the 25" front height and asociated extra (.6 inch) wheel well gap. Lowering the front can help but I don't want to upset the proper rake too much. I guess coilovers will be a must with these tires.

Any pictures or advice will be much appreciated!

Steve M
02-23-2015, 03:24 PM
I'd be curious to know this as well...I still have a few years left before my PSS's time out (I don't drive it often enough to wear them), so I'd be curious to know what people think of the non-Corsa Pirellis vs. the Michelin PSS. I think I've only read one account so far, but it seemed to be in favor of the Pirellis.

Resident Alien
02-23-2015, 03:41 PM
Comparing to MPSS's, another problem is that the Pirellis are .2 inches taller in the rear (27.2 vs 27.4 respectively). So the rake gets twisted forward a total of .8 inches with this transition.

The Gen V looks great with the significant difference in tire size front to rear, as it serves to make its beautiful curvy arse look bigger. Not sure the same will be true with the Gen 3/4s.

JonB ~ PartsRack
02-23-2015, 06:17 PM
A .2" taller tire only raises the rake by HALF that = .1"
[I think you could run 2 PSI less in Pirelli to achieve .1", but DONT.]

Not An Issue! Think about all the G1-5 Snakes out there on 18-18, 18-19, 19-19, 19-20, and 20-20.
Your concern is technically accurate, but NOT problematic.

And Pirellis really have great transitional response.....they 'signal' you what they are going to do before they let go.

P-Zero $1279
CORSA $1529
No Tax
$90-$110 S/H USA
Ships within 24 hrs of order.
JonB@PartsRack.com

djc986
02-23-2015, 07:10 PM
Here are some pictures of how a Gen III sits with Pzero Corsa tires.

The testing that was done on a Gen IV showed great performance numbers for both the PZero and the Pzero Corsa tires (check your upcoming Viper Quarterly for more details.)

cubican
02-23-2015, 07:56 PM
I have run p2 ,super sports ,and pirellis on my car love the super sports best over all ,and last the longest (300tw). I will not buy pirellis again.

Resident Alien
02-23-2015, 09:37 PM
Gents, thanks a lot for the advice and photos! This helps.

The_Greg
02-23-2015, 09:40 PM
0.2" larger diameter rear tire? Going to make the 3.07 gear guys have a worse situation! (Marginally, but technically correct)

I have a set of four sitting in my garage right now. But, it was -2°F this morning so I'm a couple months away from being able to give a review. I'll be coming from old & worn down Nitto Invos.

Vprbite
02-24-2015, 12:43 AM
Will be night and day for you, Greg.

Resident Alien
04-09-2015, 03:23 PM
The testing that was done on a Gen IV showed great performance numbers for both the PZero and the Pzero Corsa tires (check your upcoming Viper Quarterly for more details.)

I got the VQ today and there is, indeed, a great article on this very topic (only potential bias being that a Pirelli test driver was flown in from Italy to do the comparison, although I don't doubt his professionalism).

It was useful to see the fronts side by side but I wish there were more still photos of the Pirelli-shoed Gen IV to gauge the extent of the extra wheel well gap up front.

Overall, a fantastic edition of the magazine - very technically informative and I really enjoyed reading it.

mauricev10
04-11-2015, 01:11 PM
I got the VQ today and there is, indeed, a great article on this very topic (only potential bias being that a Pirelli test driver was flown in from Italy to do the comparison, although I don't doubt his professionalism).

It was useful to see the fronts side by side but I wish there were more still photos of the Pirelli-shoed Gen IV to gauge the extent of the extra wheel well gap up front.

Overall, a fantastic edition of the magazine - very technically informative and I really enjoyed reading it.

Glad you enjoyed it! I am publishing a followup story in the next Viper Quarterly where I compare the Pilot Sports back to back with PZEROs on my Gen IV on the street. A point of clarification, the stated width of the tire is measured at its widest point, which is usually at the sidewall, NOT the tread width.

The overall diameter of the Pirellis is smaller than the Michelins, both front and rear. (The article will show photos.) The shoulders are more square on the Pirellis, though, so the contact patch is wider. The bottom line is, there were no rubbing issues using the Pirellis on a Gen III/IV. Handling is more balanced because rear tire stick is better balanced with front tire stick, and ride comfort and noise levels were slightly better than the Michelins.

J TNT
04-12-2015, 09:59 PM
Are the Corsa's 2015 production dates or 2014 Production dates ?
Thanks Jay