PDA

View Full Version : Some tips for changing Sway Bar endlinks on Gen IV

brickauto
02-22-2015, 04:52 PM
So I gathered the tools (and beer) and went through the process of replacing the sway bar endlinks at all 4 corners on my 09.

The studs were all pretty much frozen into the sway bars so ball joint removal tools are required to separate them. I used a "finger" type separate for the front links and top of the rear links, and a "Fork" type for the bottom of the rear links.

When the links are loose the sway bar can be moved in order to remove and replace.

Replacement parts used are MOOG (re-use stock nuts, the new MOOG nuts do not thread smoothly)
Front K750254 (with zerk fittings for greasing)
Rear K750518 (sealed)

Fronts removed:

Rears removed:

Rear installed:

slowhatch
08-17-2015, 10:25 AM
Much appreciated for the part #'s, stumbled upon this through google. About to go through the same ordeal.

Rocket
08-17-2015, 12:39 PM
Did you tighten all of the nuts with the wheels still in the air or on the ground? Seems like I recall some of the nuts were supposed to be torqued when on the ground?

FrgMstr
08-17-2015, 01:13 PM
From the manual. Your mileage may vary.

CAUTION: Use only Remover, Special Tool MB991113, to remove link from stabilizer bar. Use of a pickle fork or other alternate tool will damage seal and ball joint on link.

INSTALLATION

1. Thoroughly clean stabilizer bar in area of bushing contact. Install each NEW bushing on stabilizer bar by opening slit in bushing and wrapping it around stabilizer bar, positioning it against retainer ring on bar.
2. Slide bushing retainers over bushings.
3. Install stabilizer bar assembly (3) back into vehicle in reverse order of removal through wheel opening.
4. Position bushing retainers (2) against frame rails, then install four retainer bolts. DO NOT TIGHTEN AT THIS TIME.
5. Install ends of stabilizer bar (5) onto stabilizer bar link studs. Install upper nuts (1). Tighten stabilizer bar link nuts to 23 N·m (17 ft. lbs.).
6. Tighten four stabilizer bar bushing retainer (2) bolts to 68 N·m (50 ft. lbs.).
7. Install wheel and tire assemblies (Refer to 22 - TIRES/WHEELS - INSTALLATION). Progressively tighten wheel mounting nuts in proper sequence to 135 N·m (100 ft. lbs.).
8. Lower vehicle.