PDA

View Full Version : Tech question

stevensonjr
11-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Just bought a 2005 SRT-10. Put it up on my lift to check it out. There is an aluminum cover to streamline the bottom of the car. There is an air scoop on this aluminum plate to cool the differential and/or create downforce. There is a roughly 15" X 15" lopsided hole in the plate under the rear end, this opening has bolt holes that show evidence of a cover over the whole opening at one time. My question is, is there a cover I need to get or is this opening supposed to remain uncovered? Any info would be appreciated. I can send an email photo to anyone who needs a better description. Don't know how to post a photo on this forum. Thanks, Bill

BlknBlu
11-21-2013, 10:32 PM
This is not my car but the cover looks the same with the opening.

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/74335259.jpg

Bruce

mjorgensen
11-22-2013, 09:49 AM
The car has been converted to a Corsa or another type of cross over delete exhaust, I would not close off the hole as this will let additional cool air flow through cooling the diff and escaping through the rear openings. That being said I have seen people make a close out panel for it if you wish.

stevensonjr
11-23-2013, 05:13 PM
I don't have the crossover exhaust on my car. Just standard side pipes, I'd like to know if the car came with a cover over this opening or was it shipped by the factory with no cover. Like I said, the 4 bolt holes on the front and rear of the opening show washer marks and I don't know if it is supposed to be covered. Any information either way would be helpful. Thanks, Bill

mjorgensen
11-23-2013, 05:17 PM
I don't have the crossover exhaust on my car. Just standard side pipes, I'd like to know if the car came with a cover over this opening or was it shipped by the factory with no cover. Like I said, the 4 bolt holes on the front and rear of the opening show washer marks and I don't know if it is supposed to be covered. Any information either way would be helpful. Thanks, Bill

Your car had a cross over so you must have an aftermarket cat back. The holes were for the upper heat shield like in the picture.

stevensonjr
11-23-2013, 09:04 PM
What is the advantage of the aftermarket cat back system? I was told the car is stock but since this is my first Viper I'm not familiar with it yet. I understand about the upper heat shield now. Since I don't have the cross over exhaust, would a cover over the opening hurt or help anything? Thanks for the information. bill

mjorgensen
11-23-2013, 10:28 PM
What is the advantage of the aftermarket cat back system? I was told the car is stock but since this is my first Viper I'm not familiar with it yet. I understand about the upper heat shield now. Since I don't have the cross over exhaust, would a cover over the opening hurt or help anything? Thanks for the information. bill

Real advantage is there is less heat in the cabin. The other positives are the Corsa tips are very nice and the sound is better to most owners, a very popular modification generally the first one. It will free up about 10 hp also.
leaving the hole open is fine, if it was a track car I would close it up for aero reasons only.

stevensonjr
11-24-2013, 05:23 AM
Thanks Mark, I'm 70 so my track days are behind me. Leaving it like it is is the best route for me, don't think it needs any further mods for my use. It's pretty strong just like it is, reminds me of my bracket one big block cars of 30 years ago. The exhaust note takes a little getting used to. Sounds a bit like a high pitch tractor. Bill

99RT10
11-24-2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks Mark, I'm 70 so my track days are behind me. Leaving it like it is is the best route for me, don't think it needs any further mods for my use. It's pretty strong just like it is, reminds me of my bracket one big block cars of 30 years ago. The exhaust note takes a little getting used to. Sounds a bit like a high pitch tractor. Bill

Two good reasons to switch the exhaust out, better sound and less heat. You haven't had the car long, but when you go on an extended drive in the summer months, you will feel the heat. Get rid of that crappy exhaust. The the very least, switch it out with a Gen 4(2008-2010). No cross-over and better sound. Cheap too. Plenty of take-offs lying around. I bet Mark has a few.