PDA

View Full Version : Any Vipers racing in Arizona?

Arizona Vipers
02-18-2015, 04:17 PM
I just joined Nasa a couple months ago. I've been to the first two events of this year (Wild Horse Pass East track and Chuckwalla Raceway)
and plan to go to every even this year Nasa Az does. I had zero track experience before this and I am having a blast. I'm addicted.
There were zero other Vipers at either of these events which surprised me. A couple guys did come up and talk to me saying they used to race Vipers.
The car I'm racing is a 97 that I found already set up for racing. It won a ton of national SCCA events 1998 thru 2001.
I got it dirt cheap $26,000 and have had only to put new tires on it and change the fluids.

Anyway, anyone else here in AZ that's racing?

Vprbite
02-18-2015, 04:52 PM
I will be at the NASAAZ event out at INDE in Willcox in May.

Arizona Vipers
02-18-2015, 05:50 PM

Awesome, that's good to hear, I'll be there for sure. I hear that track is fast.... Your bringing the 06 coupe?
What group are you in? I'm HPDE2, but should move to 3 this next event...

Vprbite
02-19-2015, 05:37 PM
I am a complete newbie. Only been on the track a couple of times so I will be driving with an instructor. And no, I am bringing a new vette so I am guaranteed to have the fastest time out there! Just kidding. Yeah I will be running the 06.

It's a fun track. Some good elevation changes and overall it's a nice facility.

Arizona Vipers
02-20-2015, 11:02 AM
I am a complete newbie. Only been on the track a couple of times so I will be driving with an instructor. And no, I am bringing a new vette so I am guaranteed to have the fastest time out there! Just kidding. Yeah I will be running the 06.

It's a fun track. Some good elevation changes and overall it's a nice facility.

Awesome. So you'll be in HPDE1 or HPDE2? Are you gonna run street tires?

AZTVR
02-20-2015, 11:43 AM
Just an FYI. NASA events at Inde are usually crowded in the paddock! (Well, the 3 times I've gone) Get there as early as possible Saturday morning. Lots of them seem to arrive Friday and set up their space. The track is a blast. I wouldn't call it fast, except for the Runway and turn 2; but, it is like driving a real road rather than a race track, IMHO. I had my Viper there several times, including the day that they opened the track. I probably won't be there for this event. I switched to an S2000 several years ago for HPDE driving so that I could go out more and at a lower cost. One cool thing is that the owner has a bunch of model airplanes on display around the grounds.

Opening day:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/-BcJLK9uDbDE/S9sO8kUlEVI/AAAAAAAAAa8/qngPhNT0ZcU/Viper.Control%252520Tower.jpg?imgmax=512

Arizona Vipers
02-20-2015, 11:55 AM
Just an FYI. NASA events at Inde are usually crowded in the paddock! (Well, the 3 times I've gone) Get there as early as possible Saturday morning. Lots of them seem to arrive Friday and set up their space. The track is a blast. I wouldn't call it fast, except for the Runway and turn 2; but, it is like driving a real road rather than a race track, IMHO. I had my Viper there several times, including the day that they opened the track. I probably won't be there for this event. I switched to an S2000 several years ago for HPDE driving so that I could go out more and at a lower cost. One cool thing is that the owner has a bunch of model airplanes on display around the grounds.

Opening day:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/-BcJLK9uDbDE/S9sO8kUlEVI/AAAAAAAAAa8/qngPhNT0ZcU/Viper.Control%252520Tower.jpg?imgmax=512

Thanks for the tip! Were you at either of the first two events this year? What color is your S2000? I saw a few out there..

AZTVR
02-20-2015, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the tip! Were you at either of the first two events this year? What color is your S2000? I saw a few out there..

I'm in a silver S2000; but, no, I did not go out with NASA this year. I do not typically go with them. I am just in it for the pleasure of driving at speed, and am not a racer type. They are more oriented to guys that want to be racing or time trialing. They are a great group of folks though. I usually seem to end up at other events that are less crowded and more DE oriented and I only go to the larger tracks like Inde and Chuckwalla, and some farther away. I did go to an NASA event at Inde in Nov; but, when I got there, I discovered that I had developed a squeaky rear wheel bearing, so turned around and went home carefully. (Common S2000 problem)

XLR8
02-21-2015, 07:56 PM
There will be a couple more Vipers at Inde. Foster Motorsports will be there with 2 Vipers if they don't wreck both of the cars next weekend at Willow Springs. I might go also if I am in the mood to put up with those idiots. I try not to run with NASSA because they of their DOWNLOAD SESSIONS. And they want all of the dated safety equipment even if you run in the HPDE 4 group.

Vprbite
02-21-2015, 09:50 PM
What don't you like about their download sessions?

And don't all racing organizations want appropriately dated safety equipment?

XLR8
02-21-2015, 11:42 PM
When I come off the track I just want to take a minute to absorb what just happened and then to think about what I can do better, the need to go and listen to some guy with a Miata complain about being passed by a car that is faster that he is.............just isn't what I need to listen to. And I also want to check tire pressures and take a minute to check the car over. The reason I don't run in the race group is so that I don't need to spent the thousands of dollars to have a fuel cell with the correct date on it. If it needs replaced I will replace it, not when they tell me to. No other group (that I have ever ran with) requires the date stamps for HPDE.

Arizona Vipers
02-21-2015, 11:48 PM
There will be a couple more Vipers at Inde. Foster Motorsports will be there with 2 Vipers if they don't wreck both of the cars next weekend at Willow Springs. I might go also if I am in the mood to put up with those idiots. I try not to run with NASSA because they of their DOWNLOAD SESSIONS. And they want all of the dated safety equipment even if you run in the HPDE 4 group.

Awesome, I really want to see some experienced Viper drivers out there as I don't know what the hell I'm doing. hehe.
And I don't mind the "download sessions", it's just 3-4 minutes of everyone grouping together after each driving session and talking about it.
I don't see why you would hate it, it seems healthy to me, if anything for the social aspect and they have really helped me out in DE1 and DE1
as I have screwed up a couple times, and have had questions about my mistakes...

If you end up coming, let me know. Stop buy and see me in the red 97 Viper. What would you be bringing there?

Arizona Vipers
02-21-2015, 11:52 PM
When I come off the track I just want to take a minute to absorb what just happened and then to think about what I can do better, the need to go and listen to some guy with a Miata complain about being passed by a car that is faster that he is.............just isn't what I need to listen to. And I also want to check tire pressures and take a minute to check the car over. The reason I don't run in the race group is so that I don't need to spent the thousands of dollars to have a fuel cell with the correct date on it. If it needs replaced I will replace it, not when they tell me to. No other group (that I have ever ran with) requires the date stamps for HPDE.

I respect what your saying, but most of the download sessions I've had to go to gave us at least 15 minutes after each session to get to the group.
And I don't understand if your saying they are telling you to change fuel cells to get into race group, or still while in HPDE4...
Every car I have seen so far in HPDE4 has had a bone stock fuel system including tank..

Again, hope to see you out there!

Arizona Vipers
02-23-2015, 04:52 PM

Hey did you see they canceled INDE and replaced it with Auto Club Speedway May 16th-17th???
http://www.nasaaz.com/schedule/

Vprbite
02-23-2015, 06:53 PM
No I dod not. Thanks. Let me see what's up and if they are rescheduling or what.

AZTVR
02-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Hey did you see they canceled INDE and replaced it with Auto Club Speedway May 16th-17th???
http://www.nasaaz.com/schedule/

No I dod not. Thanks. Let me see what's up and if they are rescheduling or what.

FYI, ProAutoSports is at Inde on May 23 & 24.
http://www.proautosports.com/forms/pdf/2015Schedule.pdf

Arizona Vipers
02-23-2015, 07:48 PM

Not rescheduling- http://forums.nasaaz.com/showthread.php?t=6835&utm_source=Feb+23+2015&utm_campaign=June+15+2012

Nemesis
03-01-2015, 10:47 PM
Come down to Inde with the club that is coming for the race weekend.

Arizona Vipers
03-01-2015, 11:06 PM
Come down to Inde with the club that is coming for the race weekend.

I'm 99% sure I'll be there at INDE!.. I'll know for sure and register tomorrow..
If there's not one already (I couldn't fine one) someone should start a new thread about this event and let's get a roll call going!

Nemesis
03-03-2015, 07:50 PM
I race in the BRZ Spec Series but also keep my TA down there. Are you coming down with Eddie's group?

Arizona Vipers
03-03-2015, 09:12 PM
I race in the BRZ Spec Series but also keep my TA down there. Are you coming down with Eddie's group?
No, just coming down on my own..... You store your TA there???

Nemesis
03-04-2015, 02:53 PM
There are a number of club members coming down as well as I understand it. Yes, she lives there.

682nv
03-04-2015, 04:09 PM
I've got my hotel room booked, I just have to sign up for the track tonight.

Vprbite
03-04-2015, 10:16 PM
No, just coming down on my own..... You store your TA there???

I have seen that there. Good to see a TA doing as nature intended.

Vprbite
03-04-2015, 10:19 PM
I'm 99% sure I'll be there at INDE!.. I'll know for sure and register tomorrow..
If there's not one already (I couldn't fine one) someone should start a new thread about this event and let's get a roll call going!

I really want to go but just got booked to play a show on Saturday night. Dammit. Any chance you guys can postpone track day till Monday?

Arizona Vipers
03-06-2015, 09:15 PM
Ok, I just registered for INDE. But can only do Saturday March 14th for family reasons..... Can't wait!