PDA

View Full Version : Cited for Eating While Driving

Vprbite
02-18-2015, 01:11 AM
Looks like down in Georgia, a man was cited under the distracted driver law for "Eating While Driving". To me it's kinda funny. Like, if he were eating an apple would he not have been cited?

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Update/2015/0120/Eating-while-driving-citation-Have-distracted-driving-laws-gone-too-far-video

Thoughts???

Fatboy 18
02-18-2015, 02:22 AM
Big fines if you do it in the UK :( Even eating a banana or caught drinking a bottle of water :(

They say you should have both hands on the wheel which is a joke IMO, what about if you change the CD or tune the radio? Oh i have a manual shifter, how the hell do you change gear if you have to keep two hands on the wheel? What about people using CB radios this law would mean you were not allowed to pick up the handset while driving, Dumb law if you ask me :(

If the driver is swerving all over the road doing any of these things, then that is already covered with 'Driving with undue care and attention'

This makes a mockery of the Drive Thru fast food service, it means you could no longer drink a coke or take a bite of a burger. :(

Now if we are not allowed to move our hands off the wheel, what about people that Smoke? Lighters, cigars, cigarettes? Surely they are a distraction too?

More Nanny state rules :mad:

C.J
02-18-2015, 06:55 AM
Sounds like a nonsense ticket if, and this is a big if, the driver was maintaining speed and lane position.

Personally, my road burger is a McDouble, hold the catsup and mustard. Small enough to one-hand, nothing to drip on my lap, and plenty of fat to satisfy my appetite w/o making me sleepy.

Next time driving through GA, I'll keep this guy's ticket in mind. Thanks OP.

99RT10
02-18-2015, 08:59 AM
If the guy is smart, he will fight it or a judge with common sense(longshot, but there is always hope) throws it out. The real problem is none of these cps have to adhere to any of these laws because they think they are above the law, I bet this Georgia trooper has many times eaten many doughnuts while driving.

Vprbite
02-19-2015, 12:23 AM
If the guy is smart, he will fight it or a judge with common sense(longshot, but there is always hope) throws it out. The real problem is none of these cps have to adhere to any of these laws because they think they are above the law, I bet this Georgia trooper has many times eaten many doughnuts while driving.

I would thing you would have to broke other laws due to the distraction. Crossing lines without signaling, following too close, whatever. But if he hasn't broken any of those rules, what's the difference between a bottle of water. Or for that matter, being upset that you just broke up with your girlfried? How can you prove distracted if you haven't broken a traffic law?

Vprbite
02-19-2015, 04:46 PM
I would also add that even if the judge says this is nonsense and throws it out, you can't sue the state or the officer for lost wages, your time, mental,anguish, or money spent on a lawyer. They are immune from such litigation. Even if they used illegal laws or evidence. I knew someone who was charged with evidence obtained without a warrant and the judge deemed there was no probably cause to get a warrant in his opinion anyway. He had to pay a lawyer 4 grand to represent him and even then the state is immune from prosecution.

This seems like a goofy news story but to me it is sounds like a sign of things to come. GM just contracted with a company to put technology in your car that uses face recognition software to tell if you are paying attention or not. How long till this is used as a government tool? I bet not long.