PDA

View Full Version : Uconnect about to expire?

cashcorn
02-17-2015, 07:20 PM
Ok, I really enjoy all the electrical gadgets and different features they offer. However, I really only use the screen for the 5 gauges. If I let the Uconnect expire will I lose this feature. Is XM radio also include in the subscription?

Jack B
02-17-2015, 07:23 PM
Gauges stay, xm expires

ViperSmith
02-17-2015, 07:42 PM
What Jack said, I believe traffic info is a 5 year free deal

cashcorn
02-17-2015, 08:03 PM
thanks guys!

senior racer
02-17-2015, 10:38 PM
I just renewed my U-connect. But XM is a separate subscription,correct? U-connect just gets you access to all the custom radio apps like Pandora etc. Or am I down the wrong rabbit hole on all this?

Vprbite
02-17-2015, 11:43 PM
I put xm in my truck back in 05. I haven't listened to terrestrial radio since. Seriously. That's not BS. I don't even know what our radio stations are here in Tucson or Phoenix.

For you Gen V guys, is it using your cellphone data for pandora or does it connect to its own satellite? Cause that's pretty sweet if it doesn't need your cellphone data. Also if you can have that you wouldn't need XM.

sharmut
02-18-2015, 05:26 AM
I put xm in my truck back in 05. I haven't listened to terrestrial radio since. Seriously. That's not BS. I don't even know what our radio stations are here in Tucson or Phoenix.

For you Gen V guys, is it using your cellphone data for pandora or does it connect to its own satellite? Cause that's pretty sweet if it doesn't need your cellphone data. Also if you can have that you wouldn't need XM.

Suspect it uses your phone's data connection, since you need the Uconnect application running on the phone for in-car Pandora to work.

ViperJon
02-18-2015, 05:57 AM
You will lose the UConnect apps and XM radio when your subscription runs out, but not the built in performance apps.
XM radio has some pretty cheap packages if you're an occasional music listener, one is only $6.00 a month for fairly decent selection.

swexlin
02-18-2015, 06:18 AM
I've been a Sirus subscriber since 2005; have a lifetime on my portable in my Dart. Transferred the 2nd subscription from my SRT8 to the Viper last fall. Funny, Sirius was supposed to bill me for that renewal last month, but it hasn't happened yet! Haven't listen to regular radio in years, I don't even know most stations here!

I don't use the Uconnect, I don't even know how to sync my phone, never done it in either the Dart or the Viper! I don't have enough seat time in the Viper yet (400 miles since October, damn crappy weather!) to even know half of what that center screen can do. I can change the radio, adjust the climate, other than that, it pretty much stays on the gauge screen all the time, as that's what's important when driving (at least for me).

ViperJon
02-18-2015, 08:10 AM
Now's the time to study the system Swexlin...dead of winter. :D
Syncing the phone is easy, and allows you to use the phone for incoming and outgoing calls hands free not to mention stream any music right to the system if you choose.
I've put 200 miles on mine since November so have had plentyyyyyy od time to study it. Northeast sux.

Viktimize
02-18-2015, 10:52 AM
Did Dodge switch to XM from Sirius or something? Or are most guys here just calling it XM without knowing better?

cashcorn
02-18-2015, 12:25 PM
Mine says XM on the screen.

ViperSmith
02-18-2015, 12:29 PM
i really don't know the value of uconnect to pay for it

things you get:

4G hotspot? who cares
it'll read your SMS - most phones will do that

not really sure what else there is of value uconnect provides

swexlin
02-18-2015, 04:09 PM
Mine says XM on the screen.

Nope, I'm Sirius (and I'm serious, LOL!)

swexlin
02-18-2015, 04:10 PM
Now's the time to study the system Swexlin...dead of winter. :D
Syncing the phone is easy, and allows you to use the phone for incoming and outgoing calls hands free not to mention stream any music right to the system if you choose.
I've put 200 miles on mine since November so have had plentyyyyyy od time to study it. Northeast sux.

Thanks Jon. You have a valid point!

Viktimize
02-18-2015, 06:01 PM
Nope, I'm Sirius (and I'm serious, LOL!)

I hope you're right. Dodge has always been Sirius, seems weird they would change to XM out of the blue. Even though one company bought the other out, and they merged their names, they are not a merged company. XM is downright terrible to deal with compared to Sirius.

ViperJon
02-18-2015, 06:17 PM
The Dodge UConnect satellite music that you are given a free year of is called SiriusXM now.
Not sure what the difference is.

plumcrazy
02-18-2015, 06:41 PM
xm and sirius are the same company now

cashcorn
02-18-2015, 06:49 PM
all I care about are the performance pages really, mainly the 5 gauge cluster on the nav screen. it seems like i have no real need for Uconnect. I have a flash drive & sm card + phone for everything else. lol who knew getting older was so much fun.

ViperSmith
02-18-2015, 06:52 PM
It is SiriusXM

http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C3ADEAZ1FV510103

- - - Updated - - -

all I care about are the performance pages really, mainly the 5 gauge cluster on the nav screen. it seems like i have no real need for Uconnect. I have a flash drive & sm card + phone for everything else. lol who knew getting older was so much fun.

I don't believe they require UConnect since there are no "services" behind them

ViperJon
02-19-2015, 05:49 AM

I agree. I drive the car don't need it to be an office on wheels.
I guess if you were a traveling salesman or something it might be useful...tho you might not like the gas mileage.

Voice of Reason
02-19-2015, 07:50 AM
I like Uconnect on my wife's Grand Cherokee because it lets me start the car from anywhere, something that's nice in the winter. but on the Viper I find it less important. I dont use Pandora or any of the other apps other than the performance page, all my music is via my iPhone. And to that point I'd like to see Apple's CarPlay integrated soon.

Viper.954
02-22-2015, 06:14 PM
I cancelled my XM years ago. I do love Pandora and blue tooth though. I hope I don't lose those.

cashcorn
03-08-2015, 06:45 PM
Received an offer just to extend my SiriusXm for six months or 1 year. Just what I've been waiting for.. 6 months is the better deal, $34(I'm in). Hopefully the deals keep coming. I will never go back. Just not a fan of the Uconnect