PDA

View Full Version : A curious start/ignition question....

F2V
11-21-2013, 05:22 PM
How do you start a Gen 5, if the battery in the fob goes dead. Is there a warning that the battery is low? Is there some kind of snyc chip in the fob, that the car recognizes, without the need for the fob battery? Is there a hidden ignition key hole somewhere, for the key in the fob, etc., etc.?? I don't see anything in the manual about this potential problem.... Tks.

Viperbob
11-22-2013, 08:14 AM
How do you start a Gen 5, if the battery in the fob goes dead. Is there a warning that the battery is low? Is there some kind of snyc chip in the fob, that the car recognizes, without the need for the fob battery? Is there a hidden ignition key hole somewhere, for the key in the fob, etc., etc.?? I don't see anything in the manual about this potential problem.... Tks.

As far as the "key" in the fob the only place it will work is for the trunk. There is no ignition key hole. If the Fob is dead you can access and try to open the doors through the trunk..but that may trigger the alarm (if on.)
There is no key hole on the outside of the door like in the Gen IV.

The doors are mechanical when opend from inside( unlike the Gen IV ) However, I never tried to open the doors through the trunk yet.

There is no warning I know of if the fob battery is low or dead.

I know in some other cars if the fob is dead ..you put the Fob directly over the Start button and that will allow a start....so keep a spare battery or 2 handy if this is a concern ... Now that Im thinking of it I'll probably get some spares myself..Ill post the battery number when I get it

Hope this helps.

Viperbob
11-22-2013, 09:21 AM
replacement Key Fob battery # CR2032 for Gen V